Help! I can't get my starter off

its not clicking like before, i hear a noise like its trying, hard to explain. could low fuel be an issue? been working on it all night before we get hit with this storm!

lol.. Were getting hit now.. About 8 or so inches..

Does the engine turn over by hand? Make sure that it's not frozen.. Most likely not a low fuel issue.. Does it turn over when you turn the key or humm or ..?

i dont know how to turn it by hand, when i turn the key it sounds like starter is trying to turn maybe like a hum. i knew i shoulda took it to the shop, just dont have the $

There may be a lot of resistance in the wires going to the starter.. Check the state of charge in the battery (voltage).. Check the relays for the starter..

I'm sorry but I don't know where the starter relays are.. I am super tired and have to be up for work at 7.. :eek:

I'm assuming under the hood

checked the starter relay in the trunk switched with a different one still nothing, when i turn the key the starter hums then their is a noise like the gear is trying to turn but its not. maybe not turning the flywheel? im just confused because with the old starter it would just click, then i could tap it with a hammer and it would start. now i get nothing

I came home from work today and the starter was laying underneath the car. Apparently hitting it with a hammer and applying pressure with a bottle jack won't work....but let it sit for 16 hours and it will fall off on it's own.:confused: I never did put it in neutral, but will when I put the new one in.

Thanks guys,
Hunter

I have had problems where the aluminum has corroded and stuck to iron and steel. When you put this starter on, coat it with antiseize where it goes into the bell housing and it will not stick like that. It is a good idea to coat the bolts as well. This is something I learned in college because contact between aluminum and steel corrode very badly due to oxidation.

checked the wrong relay last night, the one under the hood was blown swaped it out with another one. tried to start it, starter gave a kinda a high pitched noice then blew the other fuse. any ideas?

checked the starter relay in the trunk switched with a different one still nothing, when i turn the key the starter hums then their is a noise like the gear is trying to turn but its not. maybe not turning the flywheel? im just confused because with the old starter it would just click, then i could tap it with a hammer and it would start. now i get nothing

when my starter went, i tried the hammer thing, it didnt work, so i replaced it and it was all good

Corrosion on the wires will cause more current to flow.. more current flowing blows fuses.. the cable probably needs to be replaced..

Is there any chance the "start wire" is rubbing the frame or the connections are poor? I have found a problem on a starter between the solenoid and the field connection, that gave me headaches.

Can you connect a "starter button" to the car to test the starter to isolate the problem from a "Starter Issue" or a wiring problem? Just because the starter is new, that does not mean it is good.

Your cables should handle 300 amps, if the connections are poor or dirty it will not crank. If there is green stuff in the copper wire, the cable needs to be replaced. It may also be a battery issue with the "Hum" and the low voltage can pop your fuse.

If there is a cable between the engine and the frame, make sure that one is good also.

Try checking the cable voltage while cranking the engine, it should be at least 10 volts. If your voltage goes to 6V you have bad connections or the battery is dead.

I'm at a loss, was hoping to unhook old starter and install new one. Im way over my head, guess its going to the shop a week before christmas, kids dont need presents anyways :)

My father in law said maybe the Solenoid on the new starter is bad, think i might take the new one off and get it tested.

There are two windings: a "pull in" winding and a "hold in" winding that affect EMF. It is more likely one is shorted under the cap or may even has an open field.

Members online

No members online now.
Back