Help Me Please!!! Overheating....

brendangillespie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!

After getting in an accident with my '93 Mark VIII (I loved that car so much, blue leather interior and blue exterior) I recently bought a '98 Mark VIII LSC from a private seller. I'm still deciding whether or not it's a lemon, or just having problems as a coincidence. :Bang

The day after I got the car, I'm driving along, and lose power steering. I pull over, and the serpentine belt is somewhat shredded up. No big deal, bought another one at Advance Auto Parts and put it on. That same day, I get on the road, and the message center displays a message something like... "Engine Sensor Error" or something to that effect. So I start looking for a place to pull over on the highway. Before I get a chance to find a decent spot, the engine starts to overheat and I hear a slight rattling sound when I press on the accelerator. Then the engine shuts off. I think the automatic over-heat shutoff kicked in. I get over, pop the hood, and there's a little bit of smoke and a slight burning smell. :q:q:q:q.

I let if cool off for about 30 minutes and manage to get it to an Advance Auto Parts parking lot, where I park it for the night. The next day I go back to the store after it opens and ask them to plug in their little computer analyzer thing. The store employee gets the printout and it says:

Set DTCs (Codes)

DTC P0117
Engine Coolant Temp
Circuit Low Input

The guy there says it probably is the Temperature Switch/Sender that needs replacing, but they don't have one. Great. I manage to get the car home just before the temp gets to the red zone. I popped the hood to look things over and notice that coolant is coming OUT of the dump tank. Great, another problem. The next day, after talking with some mechanic friends and what they thought of it, I borrowed a friends car and bought a new thermostat and put that in. I turned the car on and let it sit for about 20-25 minutes. Shortly after the temp gauge gets up to Normal, the coolant starts to flow out of the dump tank again (I had refilled the coolant back to cold level before I started that car). So I figure, OK, maybe it's the water pump. Next day I went out and bought a new water pump and put that in. Same problem. Coolant flows OUT of the dump tank after about 10 minutes of warming up and 5 minutes of driving around the block. So I called around and finally found that temperature switch/sender at a NAPA, put that in the next day, and am STILL having coolant flow out of the dump tank after a short test drive.

Somebody told me that it might be the head gaskets, but I figure (and really really hope) that it's not because of the fact that I don't have any coolant in my oil, there's no oil in my coolant, and I don't smell any coolant in the exhaust. I can't figure it out and am getting extremely frustrated now, because I just bought this car! Can somebody please help me?

Appreciate the help that anyone can give me...

P.S. The engine fan does work and comes on.

Brendan Gillespie
'98 Mark VIII LSC
brendangillespie@hotmail.com

Last edited:
This is weired, I was going to post the same topic tonight. My car today is overheating. It is a 93 mark VIII. Everything has been replaced, water pump, new raditor, etc. I am about to pull th eplugs and see if there is any signs of water. I think we might have the same problem. Blown head gasket or cracked head. My only question is if so, how difficult is it. I have done older cars/hot rods which is a peice of cake. But nothing this complex. Anyone have any ideas please pass along to us both.

brendangillespie said:
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!

After getting in an accident with my '93 Mark VIII (I loved that car so much, blue leather interior and blue exterior) I recently bought a '98 Mark VIII LSC from a private seller. I'm still deciding whether or not it's a lemon, or just having problems as a coincidence. :Bang

The day after I got the car, I'm driving along, and lose power steering. I pull over, and the serpentine belt is somewhat shredded up. No big deal, bought another one at Advance Auto Parts and put it on. That same day, I get on the road, and the message center displays a message something like... "Engine Sensor Error" or something to that effect. So I start looking for a place to pull over on the highway. Before I get a chance to find a decent spot, the engine starts to overheat and I hear a slight rattling sound when I press on the accelerator. Then the engine shuts off. I think the automatic over-heat shutoff kicked in. I get over, pop the hood, and there's a little bit of smoke and a slight burning smell. :q:q:q:q.

I let if cool off for about 30 minutes and manage to get it to an Advance Auto Parts parking lot, where I park it for the night. The next day I go back to the store after it opens and ask them to plug in their little computer analyzer thing. The store employee gets the printout and it says:

Set DTCs (Codes)

DTC P0117
Engine Coolant Temp
Circuit Low Input

The guy there says it probably is the Temperature Switch/Sender that needs replacing, but they don't have one. Great. I manage to get the car home just before the temp gets to the red zone. I popped the hood to look things over and notice that coolant is coming OUT of the dump tank. Great, another problem. The next day, after talking with some mechanic friends and what they thought of it, I borrowed a friends car and bought a new thermostat and put that in. I turned the car on and let it sit for about 20-25 minutes. Shortly after the temp gauge gets up to Normal, the coolant starts to flow out of the dump tank again (I had refilled the coolant back to cold level before I started that car). So I figure, OK, maybe it's the water pump. Next day I went out and bought a new water pump and put that in. Same problem. Coolant flows OUT of the dump tank after about 10 minutes of warming up and 5 minutes of driving around the block. So I called around and finally found that temperature switch/sender at a NAPA, put that in the next day, and am STILL having coolant flow out of the dump tank after a short test drive.

Somebody told me that it might be the head gaskets, but I figure (and really really hope) that it's not because of the fact that I don't have any coolant in my oil, there's no oil in my coolant, and I don't smell any coolant in the exhaust. I can't figure it out and am getting extremely frustrated now, because I just bought this car! Can somebody please help me?

Appreciate the help that anyone can give me...

P.S. The engine fan does work and comes on.

Brendan Gillespie
'98 Mark VIII LSC
brendangillespie@hotmail.com

My 1st suspicions always come back to the head gasket. Killed 2 of my '93's on the drivers side. The heads are famous for failing in cylinders number 6 & 8 because of coolant flow. And the heads are aluminum so they are more susceptible to overheating. Pull the plugs and check the insulator on the plugs. If one of them is very clean (ie: white), this is a good indication that the insulator is being 'cleaned' by the coolant. Most of these head gasket leaks start out very slowly at 1st and the overheat is the 1st symptom. If anybody else disagrees, please chime in and correct me. We all need good information whenever/wherever we can get it.

Thanks for the info, what about this i read to where the intakes can cause overheating and engine failure. How common is that ? What kind of test can be ran like pressure test to pinpoint the problem. Driver side plugs look fine so far, about to head out and check the rest.

MonsterMark said:
My 1st suspicions always come back to the head gasket. Killed 2 of my '93's on the drivers side. The heads are famous for failing in cylinders number 6 & 8 because of coolant flow. And the heads are aluminum so they are more susceptible to overheating. Pull the plugs and check the insulator on the plugs. If one of them is very clean (ie: white), this is a good indication that the insulator is being 'cleaned' by the coolant. Most of these head gasket leaks start out very slowly at 1st and the overheat is the 1st symptom. If anybody else disagrees, please chime in and correct me. We all need good information whenever/wherever we can get it.

If the plugs (insulators) look good, I would go back and refill the cooling system from the crossover tube in front of the alternator and do the proper air purge running the heat on full and filling the crossover tube until the overflow bucket is full with the cap off. Then put the overflow plastic bucket cap back on and continue filling the crossover tube until it is full, with the car running the whole time and see what that does. Could simply be an air pocket which is sometimes hard to purge. And sometimes it is just a bad overflow bucket cap, believe it or not that won't hold the pressure. Make sure that the seal is clean without any rust or stuff like that around the ring and seat area.

Members online

No members online now.
Back