Help! Window misbehaving!

A Lincoln Link

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Last night my driver side window "broke" i guess. I was letting it up and then i heard a harsh sound, kinda like something breaking or coming apart. Well, anyway my window is all-the-way down and i don't know how to let it back-up.When i move the switches it still sounds like everything it running, but the window doesnt move.People i've asked have said that it is probably the regulator and most say that it'll be about $200 to fix all together. Before i just cough up the money, i was wondering if there was a way that i could just get the window up for now cuz the sky iz lookin cloudy down here :(

there are just trying to rip you off. This happened to my conti once, if everthing is working,your motor is ok. What is wrong is, that your window got off the clip that was attached to your motor. All you need to do is open it up and glue it, but not just any glue. I don't remember the name of the glue but maybe someone will be able to.if you want to do it yourself I will give you more info on how to do it.(well How the mech. did it)

Ain't no big thang !

I done did mine last month for $6.00. If'n y'all kin still hee-ar y'alls motor a-runnin' jest dew this hee-are boy and put y'alls wallet back in yer pants;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9371&s=27702#content

Then tell the stealership's counterman to back away from your @$$ and stand up from being bent over the counter and put y'alls wallet back in yer pants.

Saved you and your wallet a good reaming eh ?

Sixlitre :biggrin:

The same exact thing happened to my rear window. If I'm right you can hear the motor make noise but it won't go up. Under that situation there are 3 possible scenarios:

Scenario 1
========
Your motor has broken its bushings. See Picture.
-If it has, the bushings are dirt cheap off of eBay, LINK TO AUCTION, but I went to the hardware store and got some hard plastic ones.

Scenario 2
========
Your motor has stripped its gear out, if it has, odds are the nylon busings went too.
-If this happened you have to buy a new gear kit (I went to Autozone to get it for the bushings, then later return after matching at the hardware store), NOTE - when i got it from Autozone, the gear was all wrong.
-If this happened, but the gear kit won't work or is wrong, buy a new window motor.

Scenario 3
========
Your regulator actually is messed up?!?
-You can try and fix the regulator, depending on how much time you have, or you can buy a new one HERE

Usually its just the bushings. The reason why is that this window motor setup has been in use since the 1964 Lincoln Continental and UP. The regulators differ a little, the motor is a tiny bit different, but Ford LOVES using these bushings. They are a good easy way to make sure something little breaks instead of something big.

NOTE - If your car is like mine (I did the rear window, but no different usually), You'll have to drill some rivets to get the motor out, when you're done it is a good idea to replace them with stainless steel bolts and nuts, harder to put on, but easier to get off later.

Good Luck!

thanx for all the info. when i look at what was wrong, it appears that some wires are stripped and the tupe is not in the hole that its supposed to be in and it isn't hooked to anything. what does this mean and how much would it cost to fix it??

When you mean stripped wires, do you mean they were stripped "clean" (Someone has previously messed with them), or do you mean that the wire plastic casing has melted (electrical short)? When you say the "tupe" isn't in the right hole, do you mean the wire harness connection piece is not plugged in?

Either way this is what your outcome looks like:

Situation 1
========
-You had a short in your electrical. SYMPTOMS - Wire casings are melted and some wires may be blackened, the motor wouldn't make noise like its working.

Situation 2
========
-The Wire harness may have been disconnected somehow. SYMPTOMS - Your switch would make nothing happen, no noise, no nothing. That could mean that the connector is not on the switch or on the motor.

The way you described that it makes noise as if the motor is working makes it sound like a motor or regulator problem. This wire situation is odd, if you could take some good pictures of them and upload them it would be a lot easier to diagnose the problem.

As far as cost is concerned here are some numbers to think about:

IF YOU INSTALL
============
-Motor - About $60 - $80, do not buy at the dealer, go to Autozone or NAPA.
-Regulator - Depends on your cars year, 1990 - 1993 LINK TO AUCTION, 1994 - 1997 LINK TO AUCTION. All are Buy It Now eBay auctions.
-Wiring - Bad News here, you have to cut and put in your own wire, OR PAY A DEALER for the door harness. If you know what you're doing go ahead and do it yourself, but if you don't, just buy the harness as it's dangerous to mess with electrics when you don't know how.

IF YOU HAVE IT DONE
================
NOTE - These are based on prices where I live, Grand Rapids, MI, and having a fair-price installer. They vary depending where you live.
-Motor & Installation - Expect to pay anywhere from $300 - $500 on this.
-Regulator & Installation - Expect to pay around $250 - $500 on this.
-Window Motor & Regulator with Installation - Pay around $400 to $700.
-Wiring - Cause wiring is a diagnose and fix thing, its mostly labor. Pay anwhere from $100 (If its easy, and only a wire or two needed to be replaced) to $400 (If they have to replace the harness).

As far as a temporary water blocker, you can open the door panel, remove the glass from the regulator, and lift the window to up. Then you have to tape it up. I just put my car in the garage with the window down and drove my other car for a day.

Good Luck and Post Some Pics!

easy fellas.... it probably has a cable type regulator(if memory serves me). they do snap alot and are not repairable but easily replaced, or, if the window popped off the regulator, scrape/wirebrush the old adheasive off the regulator and readheare with urethane adheasive, the same stuff the windshield is glued in with... the motor simpily unscrews off the old reg. and screws on the new unit.. get er' done

fordtechguru said:
easy fellas.... it probably has a cable type regulator(if memory serves me). they do snap alot and are not repairable but easily replaced, or, if the window popped off the regulator, scrape/wirebrush the old adheasive off the regulator and readheare with urethane adheasive, the same stuff the windshield is glued in with... the motor simpily unscrews off the old reg. and screws on the new unit.. get er' done

He's right, it is a cable type. It uses a worm fed regulator. Typically in a Lincoln the regulator is ok. I checked my Lincoln today and the window does not have plastic clips that ride the regulator as GM and Chrysler do. The regulator if broken, not detached, but broken must be replaced.

Good Luck and thanx FordTech for keeping me sharp.

Thanks for posting this link! I knew what needed to be done to the motor, but, like you, there was no way I was removing those rivets and tackling all of that window gear! Once I saw this, it took me about an hour, maybe less, to remove and repair the motor, put it back in and take the car for a spin...

Dave

Sixlitre said:
Ain't no big thang !

I done did mine last month for $6.00. If'n y'all kin still hee-ar y'alls motor a-runnin' jest dew this hee-are boy and put y'alls wallet back in yer pants;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9371&s=27702#content

Then tell the stealership's counterman to back away from your @$$ and stand up from being bent over the counter and put y'alls wallet back in yer pants.

Saved you and your wallet a good reaming eh ?

Sixlitre :biggrin:

tbsrider2000 said:
Thanks for posting this link! I knew what needed to be done to the motor, but, like you, there was no way I was removing those rivets and tackling all of that window gear! Once I saw this, it took me about an hour, maybe less, to remove and repair the motor, put it back in and take the car for a spin...

Dave

Glad to be of assistance Dave

That was the quick and simple way for me. These ain't Hemi Cuda convertibles we're working on, I ain't afraid to drill a hole or two.

Whose car is this anyway ? Yours or the banks ? I bought mine with the cash in my pocket !

Sixlitre

Actually... I was able to get the holes drilled really clean.. If I had some touch up paint on them, they would look like they were meant to be there...
Which, they should have been there!.. lol

I've used similar short cuts before on other vehicles. I had had this door apart for a week or so (work gets in the way of these projects ) trying to figure how I was going to get that motor out without breaking those rivets... lol

wtf is it when your window goes up stops, then if you push the down button then up button it goes up then stops. Then the window goes up and down no problem then out of no were gets stuck. Also, when the window is fully up and the window is closed, If you hold down the up button it still sounds like its trying to push.
Oh i should mension its my passenger.

Very well could be these same little nylon/plastic pieces starting to come apart and catching in the wrong places.. They are cheap on Ebay, and if you follow the pictures in the link posted by SixLitre, they can be replaces pretty quickly..

Members online

No members online now.
Back