Hesitation Woes

rbanfield

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Lincoln LS V6 with manual transmission and 70,000 miles. Before posting I have done a pretty throrough search of the forums and concluded that most of the hesitation problems are caused by coil problems. My problem is hesitation, particularly if I try to apply a more than minimal amount of throttle. The engine light has never come on.

I have a warranty on the car which is bumper-to-bumper, meaning that which is not explicitely excluded is included. Spark plugs and spark plug wires are specifically excluded. No mention is made of the coils or of systems where the spark plug ties in to its own coil pack. I would like to take the car to the dealer so that they can work on it. Of course, if it turns out it's a fouled plug, then I have to pay for the tune-up since the warranty won't cover that.

Should I replace the spark plugs first and see if the problem goes away? Or should I just take the plunge and go to the dealer? If the recommendation is to go with the spark plugs first, what do you think of the Denso Iridiums (IT16)? I really dont mind having the spark plugs replaced since its coming up on that time anyway. However I would like to avoid a situation in which the dealer would give me some BS about having aftermarket spark plugs in there should spark plugs alone not fix the hesitation problem.

Thanks alot!
Robert

I have a 2000 v6 auto and have the same problem I heard this is somethng that plauged this year car. Some mods to help are to get a chip, a new cone filter and high octane gas.

The problem is fouled injectors, buy a good fuel injector additive and the problem will go away.

... Some mods to help are to get a chip, a new cone filter and high octane gas...

Specifically DO NOT GET A $5 ebay CHIP!!! If anything get flash for the XCal or the XcalII that torrie has been working on.

The chips do more harm than good trying to fool your PCM.

Cone filter = YES
High Octane gas = YES
CHIP = NO

I have a 2000 Lincoln Lsv8 sport..I've had problems with hesitation about 5 different times...I also know three other guys With the same year vehicles that have had that problem..My problem just got worse This week..The car was hesitat'n really bad.and making a bad noise coming from the engine...Got worse like a pot and pan noise....Lincoln said it was internal engine damage....RIDICULOUS the car has never been to another place except for Lincoln for scheduled appt's....I also know other 2000 ls owners that's been thru engine's and tranny's b4 100k...i had or have 85thousand miles..and the engine is finished...

hopefully you wn't have the same luck..something is wrong with the 2000 ls'...

i have a 2001 ls and i just recently changed the spark plugs as well as the gaskets as it was leaking oil into the spark plugs. after i did that the hesitation went away and it made a huge difference in the "feel" of the car. i used the denso iridium spark plugs. i believe they were originally 12.99 plus tax but i got a friend at auto zone and he charged me like 40 bucks for all 8 of them.
1. change spark plugs
2. change gaskets
3. always use premium gas
i also changed the fuel filter which was ridiculously dirty. it's only like 11.99 and just have to take off the drivers side wheel and change it. it seems these are common problems with the plugs and coils as i also have to change 3 of them. do these things and i'm sure it'll fix the problem. the car does feel different tho. hope this helps

.My problem just got worse This week..The car was hesitat'n really bad.and making a bad noise coming from the engine...Got worse like a pot and pan noise....Lincoln said it was internal engine damage....RIDICULOUS
This is why you dont drive a car that is constantly misfiring. Raw fuel will condense on the piston walls and leak past the rings, it will wash away the oil then there is no lubrication and the rings rub directly against the cylinder walls. It causes excess friction and the rings will eventualy break or fuse themselves to the cyinder wall.

There is also extra stress on the bearings because the load on the pistons change when there is no combustion.

Members online

No members online now.
Back