HID'S for 2001

How is the light pattern with just putting in the new bulbs + ballast etc? Is there a lot of extra light just thrown around?

2002 LS V8 said:
How is the light pattern with just putting in the new bulbs + ballast etc? Is there a lot of extra light just thrown around?
Well, there is some glare but that can be controlled by adjusting the headlights accordingly. I had to go through three or four adjustments before I got the pattern that worked for me and it did not blind oncoming cars. I will tell you though the HID's are mucho brighter than halogens. Once you get HID's you'll never return to regular halogen again.

First you have to decide two things. How much do you want and can spend on upgrading your lights and secondly why do you really want HID's? If you want HID's because they look cool because of the whitish-bluish color they emit then you can get that with just replacing the bulbs. However if you want HID's because you want better lighting at night for safety reasons then DO NOT get anything but the factory HID setup which will include the housing. Believe me, I have spent money on HID conversion kits and while they are just as bright, getting a good adjustments from headlight units that are NOT HID's will leave you disappointed. Because you can not get that correct cutoff point you will have to adjust your non-HID headlamp units in way that will deny you the forward distance advantage that you have with a real HID setup. And yes, like someone said here on this post, when you have HID's the whole package, you will never want to drive a car without them. SO my advice is depending on what you want. save your money and buy the REAL thing. HID conversion kits go for around $300.00 to $400.00. I spent $700.00 on my factory setup which included the true LS HID headlamo units and the cross brace. Search for them on ebay and contact Bill Jenkins at Signature Lincoln-Mercury in Las Vegas. He is leaving there so email him quickly for good prices and service.

Aviatorguy said:
First you have to decide two things. How much do you want and can spend on upgrading your lights and secondly why do you really want HID's? If you want HID's because they look cool because of the whitish-bluish color they emit then you can get that with just replacing the bulbs. However if you want HID's because you want better lighting at night for safety reasons then DO NOT get anything but the factory HID setup which will include the housing. Believe me, I have spent money on HID conversion kits and while they are just as bright, getting a good adjustments from headlight units that are NOT HID's will leave you disappointed. Because you can not get that correct cutoff point you will have to adjust your non-HID headlamp units in way that will deny you the forward distance advantage that you have with a real HID setup. And yes, like someone said here on this post, when you have HID's the whole package, you will never want to drive a car without them. SO my advice is depending on what you want. save your money and buy the REAL thing. HID conversion kits go for around $300.00 to $400.00. I spent $700.00 on my factory setup which included the true LS HID headlamo units and the cross brace. Search for them on ebay and contact Bill Jenkins at Signature Lincoln-Mercury in Las Vegas. He is leaving there so email him quickly for good prices and service.

What year headlights did you order? I see you have a 2000, same here.

00NORCAL V8 said:
What year headlights did you order? I see you have a 2000, same here.

I have HID headlights from a 2004 LS. However you have to also the cross brace that goes across the whole front end in order for you to be able to install the 2004 HID's. You have to take the bumper cover off to access this cross-brace. I bought the pair of 2004 HID's on ebay for $500 for both units. They run around $500 apiece from the dealer. I also changed my bumper cover to a 2005 LSE bumper cover with the round fog lights. Along with the new headlights it gives my car a clean and agressive look. I also have the LSE body kit from a 2002 LSE. It blends well with the new 05 LSE bumper cover. The HID are a fantastic improvement. Once you have them and drive with them at night you will never want to go back to halogen lights ever.

Ken did you place any plastic on the bottom of your ballast? does it matter if the ballast is touching the metal frame?

Ken did you place any plastic on the bottom of your ballast? does it matter if the ballast is touching the metal frame?
I mounted the ballast under the support cross member just behind the headlights. It is recommended NOT to mount the ballast on anything plastic.

Ok... that makes some sense.... The left lamp would go off sometimes and wouldnt start. I thought that i Had a bad ballast and or bulb, but the guy who sold them to me brought a relay that went straight to the battery. The only problem was that our battery is in the back. the guy connected it to his battery and sure enough it worked on his..... why is it that some members experience problems with one of the lamps either right or left when the lights ignite? anyone?

Ok... that makes some sense.... The left lamp would go off sometimes and wouldnt start. I thought that i Had a bad ballast and or bulb, but the guy who sold them to me brought a relay that went straight to the battery. The only problem was that our battery is in the back. the guy connected it to his battery and sure enough it worked on his..... why is it that some members experience problems with one of the lamps either right or left when the lights ignite? anyone?
I'd say it all depends on which kit you buy. Not all HID conversion kits are the same. The Xetronic and Fusion kits we sell don't need a direct power source to the battery. It is plug and play on those systems.

Members online

No members online now.
Back