Hmmmm. Battery light came on... Alternator question!

PimpMyTint

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, I went to the post office, a mile away. The battery light came on 1 minute after I pulled out of my driveway. I came home, and checked the connections, which were all good. I re-seated all the connections, and battery cables etc. I let the car run with the blower motor on HIGH, the lights on, rear defrosters on, stereo on, and the voltage level is steady at 11.7v (LOW). It does not drop below this however...(?) The weird thing is this: When I unplug the connector to the top of the alternator (the 3 wired black plug), the battery light goes off, and the battery voltage goes up to 12.8v (still low).

Does this sound like it's time for a new alternator, or do I have a wiring issue somewhere?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!:)

What does the battery read with the eninge off?

I would say more than likely your looking at new alternator time.

The battery reads about 11.9v with the key off. Anybody have an alternator layin around? I have cash in hand! I am also in DIRE NEED of a rear airbag!!!!!! Drivers side. Cash in hand!

With the alternator unplugged, your probably reading a surface charge on the battery, a good bat will read 12.7 unloaded and any thing above 10 under a load is good.

An alternator should be putting out close to 13.5- 13.7 volt's, just take the alternator out (takes ten minutes) and go have it tested at Napa.

If you have to replace it get a good one with a warranty because you will have problems down the road if you don't. It's happened more than once to me with different vehicles.

I wish I had an extra used one for you but there a hot commodity some time's.

I have 3 Mark VIIIs and keep a spare alt. laying around just in case... I've had the Alt. go on all three... Good thing it's an easy fix just not a cheap one.

You can get a good Alt from Max at 5 Star.

Ave. Price with core is $140 to $180.... just remember when you take it out to disconnect the battery.

A used alternator can work just fine when you're strapped for cash.

I've had a used '97 alternator powering my electrical system for almost a year and it's still working beautifully. I get 14.7 volts on engine startup, and 13.8 after everything has warmed up.

Be mindful; a worn battery can be a power drain. It may pay to replace that too.

Whatever you do, spend $60 or so on a smart charger and make sure your battery is fully charged before you put everything back together. This goes for brand new batteries as well as old ones.

Members online

No members online now.
Back