Hoping for some help...

00NORCAL V8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I think my knock sensor is shot. Car pings at low rpm and yellow check engine light came on. Could this be the issue? If so is it a DIY? Any test to run to see what can be causing engine light to come on? TIA!

most local auto parts stores, advance, autozone, will pull the codes for free. write them down and post them after you get them. many people on here can tell you whats possibly wrong if you tell us the code. be a little more specific on the knock, loud, pinging, do you put cheap gas, does it sound like a deep knock or a tap. little more info. go pull the codes first.

I haven't had the code pulled yet but, as far as gas goes I usually use shell or chevron and have done techron fuel cleaner and even tried octane boost. It's a ping like you get from cheap gas but, like I said I've tried every kind of gas out there.

what is your climate. previous post have mentioned hotter, dryer climates, add to the pinging. does it sound like valve chattering? not to be a smarti, but oil level ok? not getting hot is it? I would go get the code pulled tonight. when my car is acting up, it drives me crazy until i know what is wrong. key is high octane gas.

Yeah, first thing is to get the codes pulled. Your car is trying to tell you what's wrong; listen to it. Once you have the codes, you can start working on fixing the problem; without them, you're shooting in the dark.

if the check engine light is on, get that looked at first before you assume its bad gas.

you are using good 91 octane or above right?

Jay

I appreciate the help guys. I called an Autozone by me and they now charge 183.00 to rent the computer but they refund when returned. I do use 91 octane. The car's been pinging fo a couple weeks now and the check engine light came on about a week ago. I'd have thought the light would come on when the car started pinging. Can't I just change the knock sensor and then move up from there?

thats a first. go to advance auto parts. if you have one. they have always done it for me in about five minutes or when they get a chance to get away from the counter. sounds like a lazy auto zone employee.

You can do whatever you want, but I'm pretty sure that $183 deposit - $183 return credit is much less than what you'd pay for a knock sensor that may not solve the problem. I'd try another parts store and see if they'll pull the codes for you; that's the first AutoZone I've ever heard of that wouldn't...

Members online

No members online now.
Back