horsepower gain?

tminard18

LVC Member
Reaction score
i was looking at a dyno graph showing the difference of with or without the aftermarket exhaust. its great that it adds like 10hp to the max hp, but what about the fact that theres like 50 more horsepower from 1500-4000 or so rpms.

why isnt that more important? am i retarded? if so let me know

Man, if one person does not know about something, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is retarded.

I am letting you know.

tminard18 said:
i was looking at a dyno graph showing the difference of with or without the aftermarket exhaust. its great that it adds like 10hp to the max hp, but what about the fact that theres like 50 more horsepower from 1500-4000 or so rpms.

why isnt that more important? am i retarded? if so let me know

Which aftermarket exhaust (Borla, magnaflow, etc) are you referring to? Can you post a link to the dyno graph?

What year LS was tested? 2000-2003 or 2003-2006?

What model LS was tested? V6 or V8?

I wish some folks could come on here and use proper English and ask a coherent question.

kelleyo you can lick my balls.. i thought my question was perfectly clear..maybe you didnt understand....i guess which car and which brand doesnt even matter. on any dyno chart for any aftermarket product all you hear about is peak hp gain.

tminard18 said:
kelleyo you can lick my balls.. i thought my question was perfectly clear..maybe you didnt understand....i guess which car and which brand doesnt even matter. on any dyno chart for any aftermarket product all you hear about is peak hp gain.
The whole power band is very important. Peak is usually at or near the engine peak hp, so thats what most brag because thats what most want to hear, the highest number achieved. You do see alot of tests being done with overall average as well as peak too, just not as often. Thats also the reason to show the graph so you can see the entire rpm improvement.

that is so stupid though... i dont know much about cars so all i think about is numbers. i didnt think getting the xcal and exhaust would be worth it because i was only going to see 20-30 hp gain. but the way they will totally change the power and torque curve is totally worth it....

all of you are thinking...derrr der deeerrrrr

tminard18 said:
that is so stupid though... i dont know much about cars so all i think about is numbers. i didnt think getting the xcal and exhaust would be worth it because i was only going to see 20-30 hp gain. but the way they will totally change the power and torque curve is totally worth it....

all of you are thinking...derrr der deeerrrrr
All dynos are very subjective since all are different and conditions vary so much. I can tell you from having my car on the dyno numerous times that the power bands are different each run under different circumstances. Also, I have added an intake, exhaust and Xcal to my car and it is DEFINITELY worth every cent I have paid for it performance wise. In retrospective, there is a point of diminishing return as well that as you keep adding aftermarket items to increase power your power to dollar goes down. The small displacement engine the LS has will only push out so much power. Not to mention it is a 4,000 lb beast to begin with. I can boast that adding just the intake and exhaust system has added 28-30HP and that's a lot for this car. You probably won't see much more than that unless you start getting the car's weight down or adding unproven items like a Supercharger. However, there are limitations to that as well. If and when the supercharger becomes a reality for all you'll see it in the price of $3,000-$5,000 and only see about 80-100HP at best. Your weakest link in the LS is the transmission. Put too much boost in there and you'll be scrapping up pennies for a new tranny.

My point is that for a small investment you can add power to the LS but to a certain degree. As the person stated above, the whole power band is important but peak HP is a "selling" point. I can tell you that you would not be disappointed by adding an intake, exhaust and/or and Xcal. Your "butt" dyno will let you know real quick you've added power.

Ken, so you hit the dyno with the Magna-Flow and your Intake with KKM and got 28-30hp without the Xcal. Just wanted to clarify, thats impressive. Those are my mods for now and my track times were alot better than I expected. I always hesitated to give them that much credit even thou it seems the combination my have been good for .3-.5 secs. Hard to say for sure as I never ran my car stock, so I can only compare to what others have run.

Yes. My baseline was a stock 2003 Lincoln LS V8 that we dynoed side by side mine. I had the upgrades and the 2003 was stock. You can view my dyno graph in the gallery here. I'd have to find the 2003 dyno sheet but mine pulled more than the 2003. So, in comparison to the 2003 and what a stock 2001 LS rates at is a firm indicator that the intake and exhaust increases the HP and torque.

GrayGhost1 said:
Yes. My baseline was a stock 2003 Lincoln LS V8 that we dynoed side by side mine. I had the upgrades and the 2003 was stock. You can view my dyno graph in the gallery here. I'd have to find the 2003 dyno sheet but mine pulled more than the 2003. So, in comparison to the 2003 and what a stock 2001 LS rates at is a firm indicator that the intake and exhaust increases the HP and torque.
Money well spent IMO. I working on a Xcal2 next.

Members online

No members online now.
Back