How do I stop the chime? It is sooo anoying

bryanswens

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have this weird chime coming from behind my glove box all of a sudden and it is not my key/headlight chime its has a completely different sound. I don't really care about fixing it just want it to stop. What the heck is it? It does it instantly when I shut the car off for about 5 beeps in a sequence of three times. But at random I can come out to the garage and it will be going non stop.

Unless you have some kind of aftermarket stuff making a noise, then it's the air bag buzzer!

I think the air bag buzzer will bleep and give codes if the air bag warning light is not working.

Is the air bag warning light working? If not, I guess that's the reason. If it is, then it should also be flashing a code at you.

Yeah the air bag light is blinking too I Just Ignore it though because it does it at random. Is there a way to disconnect it I don't feel like paying to fix it. If i check it out does anyone see what the code is on it. Ill be right back ! The light flashing has a different sequence than the beep. I Think? BRB

Here is the Light blinks 5,1

The chime beeps 5,5,5,5,5

I yell shut-up you dumb #*%& once.

I did some more looking into it and it it says "51 Diagnostic monitor internal thermal fuse blown due to intermittent short to ground"

how to I change the fuse, it is under the hood or in the normal fuse panel

Last edited:
monitor internal thermal fuse blown

how to I change the fuse, it is under the hood or in the normal fuse panel

sorry to be not much of a help, but... the "internal" in the above statement doesnt sound like its in "either" fuse panel.

From the Ford service manual:

Diagnostic Trouble Code 51

The diagnostic monitor contains an internal thermal fuse that is not serviceable. The thermal fuse is controlled by the microprocessor inside the diagnostic monitor. The microprocessor inside the diagnostic monitor will blow the thermal fuse whenever a short on the deployment circuit occurs. The thermal fuse does not blow because of excessive current flowing through it. Do NOT attempt to jumper out the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker or any other type of fuse.

WARNING: Do not install a new diagnostic monitor until the short has been located and corrected. If a short to ground has not been located and corrected, then the the short to ground is intermittent and is not present at this time. Installing a new diagnostic monitor with an intermittent short in the system will result in repeat blown diagnostic monitors and repeat service.

The diagnostic monitor measures the voltages at the diagnostic monitor connector pins. When certain air bag wires are shorted to ground, the system may become susceptible to unwanted deployment of the air bag(s). The diagnostic monitor senses a short to ground on any of these circuits and helps prevent unwanted air bag deployment by blowing the diagnostic monitor thermal fuse. Blowing this fuse removes all power (battery and back up power) from the air bag deployment circuits. While the short to ground exists, the monitor will flash diagnostic trouble code 13 or 14, depending on where the short appears. If the short to ground is intermittent and temporarily corrects itself, the diagnostic monitor will flash code 51.

NOTE: If the short to ground returns, the higher priority codes 13 or 14 will be flashed instead of 51.

If the air bag indicator is flashing code 51 and a short to ground has not been serviced, this means that an intermittent short to ground exists in the air bag system. The diagnostic monitor should be replaced only after service of an intermittent short has been completed.

Some service tips for finding an intermittent short to ground are:

1. Consult OASIS (Restraint Sytems Service Code 104000) for up to date diagnostics and descriptions of wiring location concerns for the vehicle you are working on. OASIS is updated daily using concern descriptions from engineering and dealership service resources.

2. Inspect wiring harnesses in areas where they pass through or are located next to metal components (i.e. engine compartment bulkhead, body sheet metal, component mounting brackets, etc.)

Code 51 After Air Bag Deployment

NOTE: Diagnostic monitors can stand several air bad deployments and do not need to be replaced after every deployment. Only replace the diagnostic monitor if it is damaged.

Occasionally, after an air bag deploys, the internal wiring of the air bag(s) may become shorted to the metal housings of the air bag(s). The internal air bag short is detected by the diagnostic monitor as a short to ground in the air bag deployment wiring. Since the diagnostic monitor is still operating immediately after most deployments, the monitor will detect the shorted wiring and and will flash code 13 and blow the internal thermal fuse. After deployment, as the air bags cool off, the internal shorted wiring may correct itself, therefore the short to ground will no longer exist and the diagnostic monitor will flash code 51.

If a vehicle with a deployed air bag is flashing code 51, inspect and replace all the damaged areas of the vehicle that have crushed wiring, sensors etc. If no damage is found, assume that the deployed air bag was the cause for the intermittent short and replace the diagnostic monitor when the new air bag(s) are installed.

Code 51 Sequence of Events

1. Short to ground occurs on one or more of the circuits >

2. The diagnostic monitor recognizes the shorted wiring and flashes a code 13 or 14 (depending on where the short occured) >

3. The diagnostic monitor sends a signal to it's internal thermal fuse, causing it to blow >

4. The diagnostic monitor will continue to show the code 13 or 14 while the short to ground is present. If the short to ground goes away, a code 51 appears. >

5. The diagnostic monitor only flashes a code 51 when the thermal fuse is blown and the short to ground is not present. DO NOT replace the diagnostic monitor until the short to ground has been located and serviced.

The air bag computer is located on a bracket, to the right of the glove box. It's bright blue.

To put the above into layman's terms:

You have had an air bag deployment that caused an intermittent short and blew the internal fuse and / or:

Your car has some damaged wiring / deployed air bag, perhaps from a previous accident??? Anyway, you need to find the source of the intermittent short before you replace the air bag computer with a good one, as the computer IS NOT SERVICEABLE.

BTW, before you do any work on the air bag system, you must have had the battery disconnected for a few minutes! Also, never probe the air bags themselves. The bags and computer are not serviceable - they can only be replaced.

I don't need an air bag can I just unplug that blue harness and stop the blinking light and chime.

Generally "around here" we FIX things, rather than hack features out of the car.

The question you ask is a "hack" solution to an issue that has been layed out in front of you....

Why not try to FIX the car, rather than hack it?

You would be the person to answer the question you ask.
unplug it and see if the problem goes away.

Make sure if you sell the car, you warn the prospective buyer, otherwise you leave yourself open for a HUGE AMOUNT of liability if you sell a car with a hacked up supplemental restraint system.

(you've been warned)

Ya, just fix it. Besides, if you get in a wreck and the bags dont go off any insurance claims you can toss out the window.

true... I plan on driving it for another year or so and then getting another focus or something being I commute a lot. but right i guess i do drive it a lot and probably would be a good idea to have them work. I do plan on keeping it after i get a focus for a bad a$$ mustang project. I think for all those electronics and such I will have a mechanic or auto body shop work on it. My luck i will start working on it and the bag will go off right in my face. Ill probably spend as much money doing it my self as if i were to just take it in and get it fixed. got to go to lunch be back

Members online

No members online now.
Back