How fast

:iconcur: Those cars didn't even have steel belted radials.

I believe the speed rating is for a sustained speed over time that the tires could handle not a quick blast to the limit.

I have the 2000 non sport LS and the tires are v rated and that is also the recomended rating on the door sticker.

I am interested in the speed limit of my car also. In researching that question I have seen statements of 133, 140 and somewhere that that was the limit IF the car had a speed limiter. To me that would imply some cars didn't have a speed limiter programmed. Maybe very early 2000s???

I wish I could find where I read that one so it doesn't look like I'm talking out of my exhaust!

Sorry for the very terrible delay in response times, but my computer has been down for weeks, I am on a borrowed one now. My LS is an early 2000 V8 non sport totally stock with 54K miles. I am running the stock size 16" Tires and have not modified anything. I did however after posting this, just for kicks, went out for another speed check. I had a friend videotape the speedometer going up from about 135 up to 152, you can see the tach and odometer and everything followed by a quick stop afterwards. I did note this time that when the car hit 152MPH, it would suddenly slow down to about 148, then start going back up again, I think it was the rev limiter though because the engine did not cut out noticeably and it was already at about 5500 RPM I believe. I would have recorded the whole thing, but it takes a while and I didn't think I would have enough memory on the camera. I will post or email it to anybody who would like to see it. Hopefully I will be doing better about posting quicker.

Just to note, my non-sport came stock with "V" rated tires and I replaced them with "W" rated tires.

Dutch said:
Why are you guys so worried about the speed ratings on your tires? If it really matters that much, how did everyone survive driving cars from 1960-1990? Your tires do not explode if you drive above their speed rating.
Speed ratings are really about the tire's ability to withstand the thermal loads generated by sustained speeds, so any rating above 90mph isn't all that useful for 99% of us on that basis. As any LS driver should understand, however, this is about more than raw speed. This automobile is not some 1960s muscle car that can only go in a straight line--it's a modern luxury performance sedan that comes to life in the twisties. (As BMW so succinctly put it, happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner.)

The effect of the speed rating on handling is what's important. The higher the speed rating, generally speaking, the stiffer the sidewall. Also, the compounds used in the higher-speed rated tires are often different, providing different lateral grip characteristcs. That's why some cars come with V through Z speed ratings when they can't sustain those speeds: it's a part of the handling package.

carpoof said:
Sorry for the very terrible delay in response times, but my computer has been down for weeks, I am on a borrowed one now. My LS is an early 2000 V8 non sport totally stock with 54K miles. I am running the stock size 16" Tires and have not modified anything. I did however after posting this, just for kicks, went out for another speed check. I had a friend videotape the speedometer going up from about 135 up to 152, you can see the tach and odometer and everything followed by a quick stop afterwards. I did note this time that when the car hit 152MPH, it would suddenly slow down to about 148, then start going back up again, I think it was the rev limiter though because the engine did not cut out noticeably and it was already at about 5500 RPM I believe. I would have recorded the whole thing, but it takes a while and I didn't think I would have enough memory on the camera. I will post or email it to anybody who would like to see it. Hopefully I will be doing better about posting quicker.

I wana see!!

my ls is pretty fast as long as all 8 are firing, and they go sideways awesome.

the fastest (top speed) LSes are the 00-02 V8 with sport suspension - they hit 143mph.

all non-sport and 03+ are electronically limited to 133mph.

the 03+ 280hp V8 is a little quicker than the pre-03 252hp V8 - in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. There are a few bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, ... tuning) that will make the pre-03 pretty much the same.

Hmmmm.... I know Quik is very accurate with his info. BUT I had my '00 LS8 to 147mph. Makes me think something isn't right with my speedo or my LS is a freak.:confused:

oh yeah 3 years old....with that said my 00 v6 tops out at 120....did it over the tappan zee bridge one night

i have no clue where mine tops out... ive seen 130+ and she seemed to be having no problems

My 01 V6 sport auto did 135mpm with speedo many times, after that it cuts off.

Last edited:
The first gen Sport V-8s don't have a speed-limiting function built in. I, at present, hold the ECTA National E/F CC record at 140.106 in one mile. And I hold the ECTA National E/F SS record at 138.485. Both records were set at Maxton, NC at the ECTA track attached to the Laurinburg/Maxton airport. I could go much faster if I were running more than a mile.
KS

<edit> The car is an '02 LS V-8 with the intake duct from LSK, full Magnaflow cat-back, slight trans mods from SCT, Accel coil upgrade, NX Pro N2O spray including methanol for fuel-(completely separate system), belly pan, full roll cage and fire supression system. The car rolls on Michelin Pilot P-2s sized 245-45 R18 on Verde rims. For further information see 'Land Speed LS' in the Performance section. KS

get a bmw 540i sport...youll be alot happier. plus if you can find a 6 speed youll be even happier.

If not i say get a 03+ (interior is alittle nicer), or a 2002 LSE

get a bmw 540i sport...youll be alot happier. plus if you can find a 6 speed youll be even happier.

If not i say get a 03+ (interior is alittle nicer), or a 2002 LSE

I think he did buy a car, this thread is 3 years old ha. 03 540i sport is theeee isht!

my suggestion might not be used to its full potential...is that what your trying to say? lol

who brought this thing back from the dead?

Members online

Back