how much is enough?

Lincolns Own

Beast In Disguise
Reaction score
so im 18, and saving money for me is pure hell. i have a job that pays $6.50 and hour, and i only put in 18 hours a week due to school. its about $100 a week after taxes. then i have a $189 insurance payment at the end of each month. i have about $2500 saved up and im looking to get a nice Gen 1 with decent mileage. how much more money do you think i'll need in order to be within "buying distance" of a nice Gen 1? i'd like to get a '93 or '94 just because its the faster of the Gen 1's (and because we had a '94) and just because i know i cant afford a '96 LSC like in my dreams, but any year would do me satisfaction.

thanks for any input

I got mine for $1600 in Texas, it needed $315 worth of springs, had 79k, and could use a paintjob. You should be able to find a good gen 1 in your price range, it just might take you a few weeks..

i got mine for 3k with crazy low mileage.

ive seen them for dirt cheap when they need work.

I paid $2400 for my 93, $1900 for my 94, and $3000 for my 95.

93 had 150,000 miles when purchase (was my first Lincoln purchase and could have gotten it cheaper, but I was green. Car now has over 200,000 miles and runs great.. only thing I needed to fix was the air ride put $250 for a conversion kit. Worn out repairs have been Upper and Lower Control arms About $120 from Rock Auto for the set, on front bearing unit $90 from local parts store (not Autozone LOL).

94 purchase with 134,000 miles on it now has 139,000 miles. Engine and tranny are strong. Put a lowered Conversion kit on it for $300. Runs fantastic.

95 purchased with 118,000 miles on it now has 142,000 miles. No real issues one air bad went bad. Replace one lower control arm and one front bearing.

You are in the ball park with what you have for a nice Gen 1. Check out my cars in my photo garage to see what you can get for that kind of money.

Don't be afraid of the miles. These cars can handle the miles for many many years and run strong. After 100,000 you can figure that some of the issues have been taken care of already.

Important thing is not to get hooked on a car because it's right in front of you. Look for the right car. Make sure you are getting what you want. Granted nothing is for sure, but be patient and you'll do fine.

I wouldn't pay over $3000 for anything up to 95. A good 96 Between $3000 and $4500.

price?

I paid like 6 for my '95 but it only had 40K and was totally clean. after it was totaled by a girl on her cell phone going left of center I bought a 1997 LSC black on black for 4 thousand with 80K the only problem is a rusty oil pan which I'll fix when it's stored over the winter.

mespock said:
Important thing is not to get hooked on a car because it's right in front of you. Look for the right car. Make sure you are getting what you want. Granted nothing is for sure, but be patient and you'll do fine.

yeh, i've thought about it quite abit. i always wanted a bronco, or a mid 80's blazer, but those are just rust buckets in the waiting and the price on those are still quite high for nice ones. i never really cared for imports, and mustangs are big insurance. i took a look at '96 impalas but resale on those is huge! i always like the Mark VIII's, fast yet innocent looking, and you dont see a whole lot of them. you just dont find the speed and the class in any other car like you do the lincoln, in that low of a price range. plus, i know with me going to automotive school in the future, i know i can work on this car, get familiar with things, and own something i know i'll be proud to drive.

thanks for the tips and advice so far :)

GMAN said:
I'm trying to unload my 93. I am asking $3000, and it has HID's. Check my threads, I did a complete makeover changing the entire interior to black. Send me PM.

LOL... now you're getting like Mr. Wilson selling fixing selling Loving it Selling LOL...

You have a great car... and have done so mcuh.... you'll never let it go... LOL:p

Lincolns Own said:
i know with me going to automotive school in the future, i know i can work on this car, get familiar with things, and own something i know i'll be proud to drive.

thanks for the tips and advice so far :)

Hey they are not hard cars to work on and if you look around you can get parts at affordable prices. Plus if you are talking classes you can use your car for projects. Great place to take care of those little things that just wear out.

Don't worry too much about the miles... No matter what you are going to replace those parts that are going to wear out sooner or later. Best thing the engine will last you a long time if you take good care of it.

Good Luck

Isn't the trick to find one with a leaking air bag, lowball the seller, and then just change the airspings.

Buy a nice one on it's belly for $700, put $500 in air ride parts, and you'll have a great ride.

mespock said:
LOL... now you're getting like Mr. Wilson selling fixing selling Loving it Selling LOL...

You have a great car... and have done so mcuh.... you'll never let it go... LOL:p

Rich, Im going to get a 97 in two weeks. :)

Don't get a 93/94 because they "are faster" because trust me they're not. It's all about how the car was taken care of at this point, the slightly more aggressive tune stock for stock won't make that much of a difference.

98LSC32V said:
Don't get a 93/94 because they "are faster" because trust me they're not. It's all about how the car was taken care of at this point, the slightly more aggressive tune stock for stock won't make that much of a difference.

tis true. my "weak" 95 went 14.6@97 stock.

now with the jmod its doing the same times but in 10 degree higher air temps and worse 60'

GMAN said:
I'm trying to unload my 93. I am asking $3000, and it has HID's. Check my threads, I did a complete makeover changing the entire interior to black. Send me PM.

if you lived closer, i would probably jump at your car. sadly though, my father wont let me buy a car thats in another state because we dont have the time to go look at it, inspect it, and what not. im sure something will pop up soon. theres been alot of close calls here. 1 month ago, there was a black on black '96 LSC for $2900 cash. someone beat me to it :(. then, there was a real nice '93 portafino (sp?) blue M8 for $3500 with 64k. sold right when i called about it.

i know something will pop up and it will hopefully be worth the wait

Lincolns Own said:
if you lived closer, i would probably jump at your car. sadly though, my father wont let me buy a car thats in another state because we dont have the time to go look at it, inspect it, and what not. im sure something will pop up soon. theres been alot of close calls here. 1 month ago, there was a black on black '96 LSC for $2900 cash. someone beat me to it :(. then, there was a real nice '93 portafino (sp?) blue M8 for $3500 with 64k. sold right when i called about it.

i know something will pop up and it will hopefully be worth the wait

viiiball is selling his and you may get it cheap...

I'm trying to get my cousin (who wants a Mark VIII to get it but he's slow... so snooze you lose in his case if you want it.

He's in
Kansas (I know you are in Missouri) but still very close to you.

His car is in his photo garage.

mespock said:
[/FONT] viiiball is selling his and you may get it cheap...

I'm trying to get my cousin (who wants a Mark VIII to get it but he's slow... so snooze you lose in his case if you want it.

He's in
Kansas (I know you are in Missouri) but still very close to you.

His car is in his photo garage.

yes, i looked at his car. very clean looking but i kinda would like to find one will less milage. he's pretty close to me too

I bought my 95 for $6,000. it only had 34K and it was near mint cond.

Members online

No members online now.
Back