How to clean tough carbon build-up?

warrioralumni08

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to clean the IMRC'sbut they are coated with alot of carbon build up. I have used Gunk Engine Brite Heavy Duty Degreaser, Simple Green, Purple Power and so far they have cut through some of the carbon pretty good but, not all of it. So I was thinking of soaking them in a tub of Diesel gas, or just Simple Green overnight. Any other products I should try? Also, the screws on the plates seem hard to get out, I don't wanna risk stripping them, any advice? Oh, and any recommendations on how to get the gaskets off? Thanks. :D

If they are off, have them hot tanked at a machine shop, they will look brand new ;)

You could try easy off oven cleaner. I had a set of wheels on my work truck with about 7 years of brake dust and nothing was getting it of. Put some of the easy off on it let it sit for 5 minutes and that chrome was beautiful.

Easy off oven cleaner works good. Spray it on let set hose off then put in dish washer while wife isn't watching.

Put some valve lapping compound on the tip of your screw driver, helps to make a better grip on the head. Saved my ass a few times.

27-069.jpg

Alright, I will try some of the oven cleaner. No dishwasher here lol, nor wife, am only 21 years old. =] Also, dumb question, but did I get the correct gasket set for the bottom end? Reason being it says gasket conversion kit, and that worries me, why not just say bottom end gasket set? Also it says timing cover gasket, but I don't see it pictured. I guess timing cover gasket and timing chain cover gasket are two different things? Will I be getting all the gaskets mentions in the part description? Thanks, sorry for so many questions. I just want to make sure the car is built back up right and not leave anything out.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=123172

Members online

Back