How-To install lowering springs?

BLKDOUTLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Sorry, newb here. Searched a little but couldn't come across a write up on how to install lowering springs. I'm gonna buy some Eibach's soon and want to install them up and the quick lube I work at. Buddy of mine and I were successful installing springs on my SVT Contour which has a coil cover set up like the LS's. Been awhile though since I did it and would like some step-by-step guide so I don't "F" up. :lol:

are there any techs at your quick lube job? (not just oil change guys) if there are i would just ask for there help, but diy is not hard

Use a good spring compressor; otherwise it may fly out and take a cross section of your face with it. You can usually rent one at autozone and get your money back when you return it.

Remove wheel
Remove sway bar end link from lower control-arm
Remove nut from upper ball-joint and seperate from knuckle
Remove bottom strut bolt
Remove four strut plate nuts in engine compartment
Remove strut

I cant remember if there was any load from the strut when seperating the knuckle from the upper control-arm, best practice is to have a jack under the lower control-arm so you can lower it slowly.

You will also need a spring compressor to take apart the strut. Do not take it apart with out this. If you don't have one take them to a shop and have them swap the springs for you.

Having a buddy of mine that is a tech help me out this weekend, and I was wondering. Are there strut mounts that can, or need to be replaced when installing new springs?

Using proper terminology, the LS doesn't use struts. (A strut incorporates a spindle.) The LS simply attaches the spring to the 'shock absorber'---better called a 'damper'. The assembly attaches at the bottom by means of a bolt through an eye, and at the top there's a detachable mount held in place by four small studs---accessible inside the engine compartment.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back