How to wire front door speakers?

LS-N-IT

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the middle of my install. I am about to install my 6.5"type r components in the front doors. I had planned on putting the crossovers just under the front seats. If anyone has done this, how do you run new speaker wires into the doors? (I need one for the tweeter and one for the woofer).

On my '06 the fuse box and alot of wiring blocks all access to the rubber wire conduit that runs between the door and the car.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Well I got medieval on this thing and took out the fuse box, even with access that small conduit seems to be waaay too packed to be able to fish a speaker wire or two down it. Ill just run the amp to the factory speaker wire behind the HU, and then Ill just have to install the crossovers in the doors.
(Unless someone has a more creative way to do it!)

you can get wires threw that grommet it takes some work and a wire puller, i did this for my alarm remote start, but their isnt anything wrong with mounting the crossover in the door and using the factory wiring as this input for the crossover and run new lines to your tweet and woofer all in the door, then no need to run wires threw that grommet. just my 2 cents...

I went through the grommet to do my door speakers. I ran 16 ga wire both side took less then 15 minutes. When I fed it through the rubber on the door I left it attached to the door and took it off on the body of the car. It was easier to fish the coat hanger while it was attached to the door. SO EASY. I thought it was going to be oh so hard but it was a breeze. The hardest part was running and hiding 3 rca cables and 2 set of speaker wires. My amps are in the truck.

Yep. I know this post is like 50 years old but I had some questions for others along the same path. Was trying to figure out where the best place to run the speaker wires would be (i.e. both along the drivers side of the car - opposite the battery power lines? or up the center somehow).

I was checking out how to snake the wire through the grommet in the door and this does look really tricky, especially with fuse box in the way :p.

Front doors are the hardest because of space, but is do-able. I used wire tape (aka a fish) to pull them through the wire looms themselves which was a pita. Took me a full 8 hours to run 2 sets of 14 gauge into all 4 doors and center console back to the trunk.

Good Luck.

Im confused why you all would run new wire into the doors, unless there simply is none?!?!?! The wire in there will work for any aftermarket applications, as far as a crossover I would simply install it in the door. There are plenty of mounting options since crossovers aren't big.

In some cases you will experience "noise" if the RCA cables and power wire are run on the same side of the vehicle. Typically this is more noticable in installs with more than one amp. Since our batteries are in the trunk, this is not a huge issue.

If you are wanting to put an amp on all 4 door speakers its much easier to pull the radio and cap the speaker output wires off the radio off. If you are using a 2 channel amp, tie the right side front and rear together then the left side front and rear together from the factory wiring behind the radio. Running new wires isn't going to make the speakers sound better, unless simply you have a short and need to replace the factory wires.

Pel,

I always wondered about that. Not quite sure what the gauge is of the factory wiring. I have heard different things about how much just can be run over the awg 18-20 factory runs, although I'm pushing 45 on em right now through a KTP-445 power pack and will be upping to 75 from my XD700/5. I suppose I could center run the wires and tap into the existing factory was just a bit paranoid of burning up the line with too much juice, that and I'm kind of a gear whore, once I get started I usually keep adding so I imagine part of it is me future proofing for later on larger higher wattage amp replacements ;).

I installed car stereo professionally for 7 years and the ONLY time we ever ran wire into the door was when the factory speakers had bose amps (this is not specific to every bose system) otherwise we used the stock wiring. In those 7 years I NEVER saw speaker wiring burn up (not saying it hasn't or can't be done).

To each thier own, but it will save you tons of time to not run the wires into each door. The factory wiring will work just fine. The only time I would suggest running new wires is if you have a short since those are sometimes hard to track down. I'm very picky about my installs and thats how I've done all mine.

As a matter of fact I just picked up a 04 f150 supercrew and replaced all the door speakers with memphis 5x7's and will soon be doing 2 amps with no wires run into the doors!

running wires into the doors of tis car are actually pretty easy, i did all four in less than one hour, i would recommend getting a old car antenna (the thinner the better and make sure that it has a little ball at the end) to fish the wires through.

if you placing the tweeters in the door, then you would want to place the crossover inside the door that way you would only have to run one set of wires into the door.

if the tweeter is not in the door, i would recommend placing the crossover up into the kick panels, the drivers side could be double sticky tapped to the FEM and the passenger one can be placed right above the power box.

then if you really didnt want to run wires into the doors you could cut the factory speaker wire right before it runs into the door and wire the radio side to teh input of the crossover and the speaker side to the woofer output of the crossover, then just a short run up to the tweeters from the crossover.

i really dont like putting anything under the seats in this car, as there is not much room under there in the first place and i think that you should give the climate controlled seats as much breathing room as possible.

Members online

Back