I got a new car!!!

Alien

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I decided to join today because I always end up here from google anyways, and now I have a 96 Lincoln because it was cheap (1800) and only has 101k on it.

I want to swap parts out with the PI parts eventually, like the intake manifold, heads, cam, convert to electric fan, super high performance spark plugs and wiring, o, and that little turbo or supercharger intake thingy that fits on any car (claims a small hp/economy gain)... but I want to make sure everything else is cool first. It doesn't have any check engine light on. In the end, the computer showed 24.4 MPG after a 3 hour highway trip, but I was using hyper mile techniques (slowdown up hill, speed up down hill, easy on the gas), so maybe I should have gotten more?

Driving style surely made a difference in my 92 deville, because I used to squeeze out a consistent 20 MPG city (yes in stop and go traffic), since I was a young 18 yrs old and I drove like Geff Gordon... If the speed limit was 40, I would smash the gas (wheels spinning) to about 62 mph and let it cost until the next stop light, plus the uphill slowdown, downhill speedup thing...

My Lincoln, however, has really bad city mpg.. or so I think. I am not sure where it is at really because I had it in idle for a while in the drive way and I recently reset the computer, but after a 30 minute trip around town, stopping at about 3 stoplights and a consistent 40 mph, the computer said about 11.8 after messing around with it for a while trying to line it up to the ramps to change the oil... The city mileage verdict is still out so far... I will get an accurate reading in a few days.

So what do you guys think does 24 sound about right for highway? What should I check? Does it have on board diagnostics like the caddys? Or do I need some equipment for that? For the 4.9 caddy motor, everything is easy, if anything is wrong, change the distributor and you are good to go LOL! Either that, or the computer will tell you there's a sensor messed up. My Lincoln doesn't have any check engine lights at all. Sounds really smooth and quite. I accidentally did a perfect (perfect) Tokyo Drift Powerslide in the parking lot today (nice angle), and it looked perfect, the body didn't sway awkwardly, the front wheels remained aimed in the right direction at all times, so it looked like it was planned.

When I bought it the guy told me the intake manifold had been changed. Maybe the last owner swapped it with a PI one? Probably not, but you never know with that powerslide. It also has the dual exhaust, which I heard was the only horsepower changer between the executive (190 hp) and the cartier (23? hp), and other models. Is there anyway to tell if its the PI intake manifold from just looking at it?

Anyways, sorry this post was so long, but basically just wondering what mileage I should be getting, what mileage are you guys getting and how do you drive... and what to check for on a 101k modular. Will post pics up tomorrow after a little photoshop resizing...

The highway mileage is about right, congradulations on the car. The city is a bit low though, should be closer to 13 mpg.

Thanks Vitali, I think it will hit 13. Werent these cars designed to be taxi cars? They should of made them more economical. The 4.9 was way more economical but then again it had 20-30 hp less and weighed 3600 lb.

Has anyone done PI swaps on their town car? Does the PI manifold look different on the outside?

Well I don't think they were designed to be taxi cabs. The limo companies use them because they are comfortable as hell to drive, be driven in, and last forever. I got 13.4 mpg city (brooklyn, lots of stop and go and red lights) and I get about 14 mpg in my 06 now. They use crown vics for cabs in NYC. The town car is just a big, cushy, couch on wheels. I don't know of anyone that did a PI swap, hopefully someone else on this forum might have an answer for ya on that.

Change your exhaust to a dual system and consider a chip.

Also, changing your rear end gears will really get you moving as well.

Change your exhaust to a dual system and consider a chip.

Also, changing your rear end gears will really get you moving as well.

My exhaust is already a dual one. I'm trying to stay away from chips because they stress the motor out. My mileage evened out to 16.5 right now. Check out what I found

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0804_ford_4_6_engine/bbk_performance_headers.html

Too bad it is carbureted . Stage one looks pretty nice though I'd spend that, and maybe a little more.

At about a steady 30mph w/cruise on if you reset trip computer you should show close to 30mpg on flat ground come to a hill and the mileage will fall. in o/d at about 40 mph you should be about the same if slightly higher. this is what my 2006 shows and on a highway mileage reset at 60-65 mph will show 25-27 consitantly over a long stretch. Congrats on your new Lincoln - I still wish mine rode a smooth/soft a a 1994. Scott

Members online

No members online now.
Back