I have a 2000 ls V8 How hard to swap an 03+ engine

93prochargedgt

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 00ls v8 and my car is starting to run hot, so depending on the fix I am curious how hard it would be to put the newer motor in my car. Has anyone on this site done that swap?

NEAR impossible, I'm sure it can be done, but I would personally check out local pick n pull yards see if u can find a 00-02 3.9 try to see what u can do with it.

the 03 needs VVT (variable valve timing) and the pre-03 PCMs know nothing about this. But - you can't swap in a 03 PCM - since Ford went to CAN protocols in 03 the PCM would not attach to the bus.

To swap all sevem modules, some wiring, the engine, the throttle-by-wire, cluster, transmission, ....you are really swapping the car....

I have a 00ls v8 and my car is starting to run hot, so depending on the fix I am curious how hard it would be to put the newer motor in my car. Has anyone on this site done that swap?

What do you mean by run hot? By reading these forums I've learned that overheating issues are common with high mileage LS'es, and some common causes are sticky thermostats, cracked degas bottles (AKA coolant reservoir), or worn out degas bottle caps.

Members online

No members online now.
Back