I need help Asap

dnce0589

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OK guys here is my problem , I have cut my mufflers and converted my car to straight pipe, now yesterday i ran out of gas right in front of the gas station and when i put 25 dollars of plus 89 gas in it now it sputters, like when i step on the gas it has a delay. Since i cut my mufflers i get a sound that sounds like my car is stuttering. Now today i let my car sit for over night and when i drive it it now it only sputters when i floor it. Also when i came back to my parking spot today i saw a trail of liquid that looks and smells like water. Can ne one help me

Water may be just normal condensation.

You may have a clogged gas filter since you sucked up the crud on the bottom of the gas tank. Running your gas to a low level may have damage to the fuel pump, the fuel pump sits in fuel for cooling.

Go with a new fuel filter first.

Water may be just normal condensation.

You may have a clogged gas filter since you sucked up the crud on the bottom of the gas tank. Running your gas to a low level may have damage to the fuel pump, the fuel pump sits in fuel for cooling.

Go with a new fuel filter first.

+1.... but first I would fill it up with 91 octane gas or better. When 1st got my LS I filled up with 87 octane gas out of habbit from putting it in my work truck everyday...it hesitated, misfired, and died at a stop sign. I pumped it all out into my work truck tank and got a ten gallon can full of 91 octane and it ran perfect.

Could the stutter b from the gas i put in it or the dirt from the fule tank

Do a search on fuel filter, this is a DIY for most people.

You are not saving money in the long run using less than 91 octane fuel, top off with the highest octane fuel in your area.

Cutting the mufflers won't make you sputter.

mechanical fuel pump may be going out. it is one of two pumps on the car and supplies fuel at higher rpms

Could the stutter b from the gas i put in it or the dirt from the fule tank

I'd say both would be the two most likely causes. Change your fuel filter and fill it up with the highest ocatne possible....thats a good start IMO

mechanical fuel pump may be going out. it is one of two pumps on the car and supplies fuel at higher rpms

No, it doesn't.
The primary (electric fuel pump) supplies fuel at all RPMs, low or high. The secondary pump is powered by the flow of fuel from the primary pump (not from the engine). It transfers fuel from the other sump of the fuel tank. Both pumps are in the fuel tank. There is no mechanical pump on the engine. Airplanes have one, but cars don't.

I think a fuel filter change is a good idea also..... Before you get too far into it.

also i have on question kinda off topic since i have straight pipe how will i know if my muffler pipe snaps had it happen on a 95 subaru legacy the pipe before the muffler snapped in 2 and had a straight pipe sound 4 a couple of days till i got it fixed

Mufflers don't just snap.

If its not rusted it wont snap. Put the car on a lift and look at all the tubing.

No, it doesn't.
The primary (electric fuel pump) supplies fuel at all RPMs, low or high. The secondary pump is powered by the flow of fuel from the primary pump (not from the engine). It transfers fuel from the other sump of the fuel tank. Both pumps are in the fuel tank. There is no mechanical pump on the engine. Airplanes have one, but cars don't.

I should of been clearer, if the jet pump is not working it could prevent fuel delivery to the engine. I dont know anything about airplanes, many cars have mechanical fuel pumps, just not many fuel injected cars:)

I should of been clearer, if the jet pump is not working it could prevent fuel delivery to the engine. I dont know anything about airplanes, many cars have mechanical fuel pumps, just not many fuel injected cars:)

Well, certainly you implied that you were talking about an engine driven fuel pump when you made the comment about higher RPMs. I don't know of any gasoline fuel injected [production] cars with mechanical pumps.

Yes, certain failures of the jet pump will stop fuel from making it to the engine. I've heard of one such case so far.

Mufflers don't just snap.

If its not rusted it wont snap. Put the car on a lift and look at all the tubing.

I've seen them blow apart when raw fuel ignites in the exhaust system, but that is pretty rare these days.

Oops!

Please be aware that there is only one actual fuel pump in an LS. It is electric and is found in the fuel tank under the passenger-side back seat. The driver-side tank has a syphon-style gizmo to move fuel from the one tank to the other. There is NO mechanical fuel pump on a Lincoln LS.

KS

never use less than 91 octane

fill car tank with highest octane possible, mine runs like crap with anything less than 91. been there done that, get a can of octane booster from walmart.

Please be aware that there is only one actual fuel pump in an LS. It is electric and is found in the fuel tank under the passenger-side back seat. The driver-side tank has a syphon-style gizmo to move fuel from the one tank to the other. There is NO mechanical fuel pump on a Lincoln LS.

KS
I am sure you mean "engine driven" right? The mechanical pump is under the driver side rear seat.
Maybe this will be helpfull to the op?
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t1064333-discuss2002_lincoln_ls_fuel_pump.html
If of course the fuel pump (eaither one) is the problem.

I am sure you mean "engine driven" right? The mechanical pump is under the driver side rear seat.
Maybe this will be helpfull to the op?
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t1064333-discuss2002_lincoln_ls_fuel_pump.html
If of course the fuel pump (eaither one) is the problem.

I think he does mean mechanical.
Mechanical implies moving parts, which the jet pump does not have. I think that it is most accurately referred to as a hydraulic or jet pump. It uses the flow of fuel from the electric pump to pick up fuel from the driver's side sump.

I think he does mean mechanical.
Mechanical implies moving parts, which the jet pump does not have. I think that it is most accurately referred to as a hydraulic or jet pump. It uses the flow of fuel from the electric pump to pick up fuel from the driver's side sump.

Sounds like an eductor!

Members online

No members online now.
Back