i need help please

inkme101

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys ive got a 2000 ls with 108xxx miles, everything was good until a few hours ago i parked my car went into a store came back out and when i got going over 35 mph i started hearing a slow clunking and clicking noise the only way to explain it is that it sounds like a cv shaft going bad on a front wheel drive car, but as you know its rear wheel. the noise is coming from the front drivers side wheel area and is only there when going over 35. also makes the noise even if i put the car in neutral going down the road. i put the car on the hoist and it shook down tight except for the front drivers wheel bearing had very very very little play, i dont think its this if it is its unlike a sound ive EVER heard from a wheel bearing. so any ideas? all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

It's probably the front bearing/hub assembly. I've heard of one or two others doing what you describe. I think that the sound is the teeth of the ABS sensor ring hitting something. If you can really detect play in the wheel bearing, I'd replace it ASAP before the wheel falls off.

BTW, your LS does have CV joints, but they are in the back.

its an incredibly small amount of play but i suppose any play in a non adjustable unit is bad right? but its a slow noise like its slower than the revolutions of the wheel. its really got me scratching my head a bit.

It's probably the front bearing/hub assembly. I've heard of one or two others doing what you describe. I think that the sound is the teeth of the ABS sensor ring hitting something. If you can really detect play in the wheel bearing, I'd replace it ASAP before the wheel falls off.

BTW, your LS does have CV joints, but they are in the back.

i am aware that it has cv joints in the back but the sound is in the front is what i was saying.

wouldnt i be getting an abs light if the ring was hitting? also i wanted to mention that applying the brake doesnt change the noise. the only time is does seem to change is turning a wide left corner otherwise if the car is moving over 35 mph then the noise is there.

I don't know. I still suspect that changing out the hub will fix the noise, but I'm unwilling to pay for the repair if it doesn't. Consider that when deciding what to do and how much weight to give to my advice.

I am assuming that you checked for what you could, like the brake shield touching the rotor and so on.

well it stopped making the noise when i just left so now im really lost!
yes yes i checked all that. and ur right exactly im trying to nail down something concrete b4 i start throwing parts at it.

i should also add that this noise is coming anytime im over 35 or so not just over bumps or anything. its like a loud clanking or banging that is slower than the revolution of the engine or wheels. it sounds like something dragging under the car and banging off the ground and right under my feet almost (its not! but it sounds like that), i dont really know how else to explain it.

Might be stupid to suggest, but have you looked at the plastic valence under the front end? Mine came loose and rattled when I got over 40.

good suggestion i thought of that though. its like metal clunking against metal sounding.

does it change when u turn the wheel??? circles in different directions, do you hear it more from inside the car... can you hear it better with the windows down.... cold start runs change anything?

mine broke and clunked around a bit... but OP makes it seem more like a rubbing "spinning" noise.... maybe the sway bar vibrating up and down though.....

mine broke and clunked around a bit... but OP makes it seem more like a rubbing "spinning" noise.... maybe the sway bar vibrating up and down though.....

it was a rubbing and spinning noise, upon a further inspection i believe it actually is wheel bearing. i jacked it up today and shook down the wheel more i noticed the caliper and wheel both moving.... so i pulled the wheel and when i did i realized my lug nuts werent even barely hand tight on that wheel, reference marks on the wheel and caliper tell me the wheel was banging into the caliper, i re-torqued them, and shook it down again (very little wheel bearing slop, but a little is to much) then drove it and now i can clearly hear the typical wheel bearing noise but no more banging or clunking. looks like ill be throwing a wheel bearing on when i can get the money around for it.

p.s.
it does need sway bar end links also im sure the wheel doing what it was was only amplified by them or vice versa

well the wheel bearing "cut loose" today i was driving and all of a sudden the noise was back so since i was less than a mile from home i busted butt to get there. pulled the wheel apart and saw that the wheel bearing had grenaded! long story short, a couple hours labor and a trip to the parts store and i was back on the road! thanks for all the input fellas!

Yeah, that could've ended a lot worse for you.

hey guys ive got a 2000 ls with 108xxx miles, everything was good until a few hours ago i parked my car went into a store came back out and when i got going over 35 mph i started hearing a slow clunking and clicking noise the only way to explain it is that it sounds like a cv shaft going bad on a front wheel drive car, but as you know its rear wheel. the noise is coming from the front drivers side wheel area and is only there when going over 35. also makes the noise even if i put the car in neutral going down the road. i put the car on the hoist and it shook down tight except for the front drivers wheel bearing had very very very little play, i dont think its this if it is its unlike a sound ive EVER heard from a wheel bearing. so any ideas? all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hey i got a question about your old LS how about that rattling noise coming from the passenger rear?

Members online

No members online now.
Back