I think it's a coil

jpd

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My car is hesitating a little under a load at running temp. It's not real bad but definitely misfiring. No engine codes so the computer is not made yet. I read a few threads here and decided I'll check out the coils. I pulled the coils from the passenger side and one had oil on the boot to about half way up. The spring was very oily and I got a different ohms reading on the oily coil. Out of the 4 coils; measuring from the connecter side to the spark plug side 3 were 6.25 k ohms and the oily one was 6.33 k ohms. I don't know what that means but I bet it means something LOL. Thinking I found the problem I put the car back together and went for a drive and there is no misfiring. Funny!! I'll assume I need to replace the coil and the plug well seals.

My question is:

Would you agree that the oily coil could be the problem?

Why does everyone seen to replace all the coils when they have a problem?
I would like to just replace the broken parts and call it a day!

Thanks
John

Why does everyone seen to replace all the coils when they have a problem?
I would like to just replace the broken parts and call it a day!

Thanks
John

+1. i just had a 2 CEL codes for cylinder 1 (p0301,p0351) AFTER i replaced coils 1-4 (passenger side) so decided to take it to the dealer, they replaced cylinder 2 coil of my newly installed coils and now it runs great...

imo replace just that coil with oil on it and replace the valve cover gasket with a new VCG kit.

Some people do them all at the same time because they don't want to deal with them later. I don't see any point in replacing them all when they're just gonna go bad again anyway (since they apparently die quite often, and for no reason). Might as well do them one a time and save a little money.

yeah i think ive got a bad one now too. a couple of days ago my check engine light was on and the car was running a little rough. now the cel is off but its still not running smoothly (particularly when accelerating).

is there any way i can get the error code for this even though my cel isnt on anymore?

The dealer has the parts and I think I'm just going to replace the oily coil, the valve cover gaskets and the O-rings.

I have noticed some hesitation under normal operating temp as well especially in this Texas heat.

I have noticed some hesitation under normal operating temp as well especially in this Texas heat.

My car doesn't hesitate at all when it's cold. It only does it when it been driven for a good while say more than 10 miles. It's in the 90's here in NY too.

i had this same problem.. i replaced my spark plugs and the coil on cyl 8. but where can i find a valve cover gasket set other than the dealer??

prices are for a v-8

Hi All

P/N's required....
r/s vc gasket KIT...XW4Z-6584-AB list $43.85 LVC $32.89
l/s vc gasket KIT...XW4Z-6854-BB list $44.38 LVC $33.29
coils ....2W4Z-12029-BD list $74.04 LVC $43.32each may be on recall

all in stock ready to ship..

Max

prices are for a v-8

Hi All

P/N's required....
r/s vc gasket KIT...XW4Z-6584-AB list $43.85 LVC $32.89
l/s vc gasket KIT...XW4Z-6854-BB list $44.38 LVC $33.29
coils ....2W4Z-12029-BD list $74.04 LVC $43.32each may be on recall

all in stock ready to ship..

Max

Are the coils you listed OEM?

yeah i think ive got a bad one now too. a couple of days ago my check engine light was on and the car was running a little rough. now the cel is off but its still not running smoothly (particularly when accelerating).

is there any way i can get the error code for this even though my cel isnt on anymore?

If the code in the computer is a pending code the CEL light will not be on but you can read the code if one is set as pending in the computer.

It MIGHT have stored the code, so run it by a parts store (I.E: Autozone, Advance, Checker, Napa) and ask to have them run an OBD2 diagnostic on it. Most parts stores will scan/erase codes for free. If its stored it will turn up in the scan. If not, then you'll just have to wait.

Members online

No members online now.
Back