I'm a dumb ass with a dumbass question or two!!!

my05lincls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok gang, as I stated, I'm a dumb ass with most likely a dumb ass question, but I need opinions. I got the infamous yet common P0352 code and I researched the hell out of it to the point where I can probably recite the origin and point of converting to the COP system vs the plug wires of old..yada yada!!

My question is, now that I've discovered or have been lead to believe I need to have the COPS replaced, should I be smart and have the spark plugs replaced while I'm at it or is it not necessary? I also read the issue could be a vacuum leak, dirty fuel injector, or even the PCM! (Or ETC.....)

My other few dumbass questions are:

1. Is it wise to purchase these COPS from Ebay? Somehow, I found all 8 for $75 in brand new, never used condition :confused:

2. What should I expect to pay (ball park) for istallation services ie; labor?

3. Has anyone gone thru replacing these COPS and still have the same misfiring issues?

Thanks for all your help. I am a car lover, not an enthusiasts. I appreciate the advice!!

Cheeks!

1: Are they motocraft? I have had good luck with Global Automotive, some haven't..
2: I would say 2-3 hours labor if you don't have oil in the spark plug wells
3: I had to replace the COPs and VCGs and I was all good.. :)

You have to replace the associated spark plug anytime you replace the COP. The failing COP may have damaged the spark plug. The damaged spark plug may kill the new COP.

P0352 can indicate a problem with the primary, so the wiring and connector to the coil are also suspect.

If you went a long time with a marginal COP (misfiring) before the P0352 came up, your PCM may now be damaged. Let's hope not.

A vacuum leak or dirty injector will not cause a P035x code. Those could cause P030x codes.

Yes, it could be the PCM, and it seems like it is for about half the times P035x codes come up.

should I be smart and have the spark plugs replaced while I'm at it or is it not necessary?

Cheeks!

You have to replace the associated spark plug anytime you replace the COP. The failing COP may have damaged the spark plug. The damaged spark plug may kill the new COP..

+1

I need to start reading the whole posts.. At least I have someone to correct the rest that I forget/am wrong.. :)

And Cheeks? :lol:

+1

I need to start reading the whole posts.. At least I have someone to correct the rest that I forget/am wrong.. :)

And Cheeks? :lol:

Are you laughing at my name sir???? LOL... I get that alot so I'vwe heard em all!!!

You have to replace the associated spark plug anytime you replace the COP. The failing COP may have damaged the spark plug. The damaged spark plug may kill the new COP.

P0352 can indicate a problem with the primary, so the wiring and connector to the coil are also suspect.

If you went a long time with a marginal COP (misfiring) before the P0352 came up, your PCM may now be damaged. Let's hope not.

A vacuum leak or dirty injector will not cause a P035x code. Those could cause P030x codes.

Yes, it could be the PCM, and it seems like it is for about half the times P035x codes come up.

Man, this is really inciteful! I pray to Jehovah that it's not the PCM! Anybody ever had to replace the PCM? I'm gonna start with the COPs and the plugs then go from there. I cannot take the studdering and hesitation any longer. What makes it even worst is I live in Iceland, Maryland (corny) and it feels like the tranny is constantly slipping or dragging. Thanks for your help bro!

1: Are they motocraft? I have had good luck with Global Automotive, some haven't..
2: I would say 2-3 hours labor if you don't have oil in the spark plug wells
3: I had to replace the COPs and VCGs and I was all good.. :)

The plugs will be Motorcraft. My mechanic highly recommended those vs NKG or Bosch. You agree?

Why did you replce the VCGs and how expensive of a repair was it to do so? My mechanic never mentioned the VCG's. Is this something that should be done just because you're already replacing the plugs and the COPS?

The plugs will be Motorcraft. My mechanic highly recommended those vs NKG or Bosch. You agree?

Why did you replce the VCGs and how expensive of a repair was it to do so? My mechanic never mentioned the VCG's. Is this something that should be done just because you're already replacing the plugs and the COPS?

You have an 05, so you shouldn't need VCGs. Unless you find oil in any of the spark plug wells, you can and should skip replacing those.

Motorcraft is fine. Just stick with OEM or equivalent.

Yes I do!! I have an 05 V8 and apparently VCG isn't required to be replaced according to the TSB! I have only 80,000 miles on her and according to the TSB, it's a free replacement. Thanks for all the help everyone especially FASTLLS and Joegr! Great stuff. I'm taking it to a Lincoln dealer and he says he'll change the malfunctioning COP for free. He also said he'll quote me on what else needs to be done.

I did read from another post that the Solenoid Valve Assembly should be replaced when the COPS are replaced. Any truth to this?

...I did read from another post that the Solenoid Valve Assembly should be replaced when the COPS are replaced. Any truth to this?

None at all. They are two unrelated things (the solenoid assembly is in the transmission). Problems with the solenoid assembly and misfires can each be confused for the other at times, but it is pretty easy to figure out which problem you have.

None at all. They are two unrelated things (the solenoid assembly is in the transmission). Problems with the solenoid assembly and misfires can each be confused for the other at times, but it is pretty easy to figure out which problem you have.

I was figuring that! This issue is clearly not transmission related as I first thought. In all my Ignorance, I took it to a transmission repair and service center to get all the fluids purged and the lines inspected and cleaned and the tech told me the tranny is absolutely fine AFTER charging me the 100 bucks. That is when the P0352 code was discovered. Man, I am learning some new crap that I won't remember in 8 days but I'm happy to at least gain this brief understanding.

I just had mine replaced. total bill was around 900. And that was using a used pcm. New ones for a gen 1 were 1500 from the dealer.

Man, DAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!! I have the luck of the smallest and chubbiest Irish man resembling a freaking leprechaun! I wouldn't be surprised if this too were the case. Thanks for the incite.

I was figuring that! This issue is clearly not transmission related as I first thought. In all my Ignorance, I took it to a transmission repair and service center to get all the fluids purged and the lines inspected and cleaned and the tech told me the tranny is absolutely fine AFTER charging me the 100 bucks. That is when the P0352 code was discovered. Man, I am learning some new crap that I won't remember in 8 days but I'm happy to at least gain this brief understanding.

I suggest you invest in an obdII scanner.

I suggest you invest in an obdII scanner.

I have one and the only code it gave me was P0352 - IGNITION SIGNAL COIL B FAULT but once I started researching, I found what I assume to be a plethora of other possible issues from the COPS going bad that may need attention. I am the furthest thing from a mechanic, but I understand how all these things come together to serve the whole. I was just trying to get a REALISTIC understanding and appreciation for the true magnitude of the situation.

Members online

No members online now.
Back