IMRC Actuator 1996 MK VIII

Passenger side connector is a pain in the ass. I've changed several 96 imrc actuators and have never found an easy way. I remove the throttle body first thing, and from the top take a long handle door popper tool and pop the whole connector out of it's holder. Then gently pull up the whole thing until you can unplug it. A long pair of hemostats are very helpful. No easy way that I know of. Driver's side is easier.

I found that my OBD Code P1537 is in fact the passenger IMRC Actuator. I have obtained a new one and ready to put on.

I need some help.

First, does anyone know the part number and source for the plastic part that hold the actuator arm to the Cam. I am almost positive that it will break when I take the actuator off.

Second. Is there an easy way to get the actuator off: I thought I might be able to take the actuator off by loosening the two bolts however, there is no clearance to take the bolt out.

Wondering if both the bolts are loose with the bracket come out or must I take off something else.

Thanks in advance.

The clips you can still get from ford.Just get the counter guy to show the exploded view and you van pick them out,7 bucks a piece

Passenger side connector is a pain in the ass. I've changed several 96 imrc actuators and have never found an easy way. I remove the throttle body first thing, and from the top take a long handle door popper tool and pop the whole connector out of it's holder. Then gently pull up the whole thing until you can unplug it. A long pair of hemostats are very helpful. No easy way that I know of. Driver's side is easier.
thanks for the heads up Chargerxr
- it sounds like the actuator cable connector has a hidden white plastic serrated push pins holding it to the block which has to be backed out first
-at 186k miles, should I pull the int man? valve plates open/close easily by hand; it seems to be running GREAT in spite of the leaky diaphragm bank 1 pod...truth be told I'm worried I might screw somehting up during removal or forget how it came apart

worked on it some more after work
----
pulled wiper assembly, vac lines, TB , relocated fuel lines and started to remove IAC, but it's a son-of-a gun....
---
used an 8mm gear wrench to crack the nut/bolt on the IAC but had to stop, 4 a.m. comes early, more work tomorrow night
---
I can see the actuator plastic connector just below the heater core hose, and I thought I got it's push pin out but it won't come up
----
:q
----
P8290639.jpg
----
P8290640.jpg
------
P8290641.jpg
----
if I remove the IAC and still can't grab the connector, i guess I'm pulling the int man

P8290639.jpg

P8290640.jpg

P8290641.jpg

someone mentioned jacking and tilting the back of the tranny fwd to move the engine and gain more access to the imrc elec. connector...can I mess anything up doing that?

That connector holder has 2 push pins which is another pain. Should'nt hurt anything by jacking up the tranny, and it should help with access.

this also seems like the perfect time to flush the heater core..but I gotta put it back together at some point.....the tranny on my white Mark, the current dd gave me a scare yesterday but I think it's okay

P8300648.jpg
----
P8300642.jpg
---
P8300647.jpg
----
patience and persistence paid off, time to change directions and tighten bolts, wish I had the new parts on hand
-----

P8300642.jpg

P8300647.jpg

P8300648.jpg

since I've got the TB off, what should I use to clean it? any old TB cleaner from the local parts store?

since I've got the TB off, what should I use to clean it? any old TB cleaner from the local parts store?

I think that's all I used on mine. Just don't use a wire brush on the throttle plates.

Don't drop the gasket when installing the IAC. It's easy to do and not realize you did it. I stuck the gasket to the IAC with a little gasket sealer.

So this coil spring isn't keeping these plates shut???

20130425_124933.jpg

I'm pretty sure if you ever looked on your TB, you may see a little yellow sticker that says "do not clean"
-shrug-

I'm pretty sure if you ever looked on your TB, you may see a little yellow sticker that says "do not clean"
-shrug-
I haven't seen the sticker, but i kinda remembered there's something special about the TB cleaning process....something like?: "DON'T" ?

this rubber vac line Tee on drv side of TB
---
P9040685.jpg
----
P9040686.jpg
----
will I find a direct replacement? if yes what's it called?
thx

P9040685.jpg

P9040686.jpg

O'reilly's sells it in the help section. I think they call it a ford emission tee, but not positive. As many as I have bought I should know. My local o'reilly's always has them.

i pulled it off to take and match; I also pulled off a straight segment of soft rubber (about 1/4-3/8'' i.d.) that comes in from the pass side; is there others I should look for that typically need r/r?
----
put on the new IAC tonight, not the worst thing I've done, but definitely a tight squeeze and tedious process

O'reilly's sells it in the help section. I think they call it a ford emission tee, but not positive. As many as I have bought I should know. My local o'reilly's always has them.
no big surprise no one had that soft rubber 3/8'' i.d. tee so i got a hard plastic one and 1' of hose.
-
They only had fuel line hose and trans fluid hose.Will either one work equally well?

Members online

No members online now.
Back