Is the DCCV a bad design or what???

Sarge

LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine 8 months ago...and now its not working again! Is there someone besides motorcraft who makes this part?

Thank,
Hunter

Should have at least a 1 year warranty. Sucks that you have to go through the work again though.

I replaced mine 8 months ago...and now its not working again! Is there someone besides motorcraft who makes this part?

Thank,
Hunter

I certainly agree that it is a bad design.
I believe that they are made by Bosch, not Motorcraft. You can buy the exact same part from Jaguar for more money.

I found one at a junkyard for $5.00 on a '00 LS with only 38k on it! Got it in reserve for when mine goes out!

Either way it blows. I would say screw it and go without a/c, but I have my first child due in 3 weeks and he is gonna need some a/c when we go cruisin for hotties.

Is it a bad design or bad manufacturing? My bet is on manufacturing.

That point can be argued back and forth. My position is that if it is too hard to consistently manufacture correctly, then the design is bad. A good bit of my time on new designs goes to DFM (Design For Manufacturability).

That point can be argued back and forth. My position is that if it is too hard to consistently manufacture correctly, then the design is bad. A good bit of my time on new designs goes to DFM (Design For Manufacturability).

I would bet the LS isn't the first or only vehicle to use this design; like the window regulators. The Germans have been using the regulator design for years, if not decades. Why was the LSes regulator prone to failure? It wasn't the proven design, it was the cheap plastic part that the manufacturer used. I would bet the same thing happened with the DCCV.

In any case, I would rather deal with a bad DCCV than a bad blend door actuator!

It wasn't the proven design, it was the cheap plastic part that the manufacturer used. I would bet the same thing happened with the DCCV.

but i bet that the design called for that exact plastic piece, the designers are always looking (or being forced to look) for lighter, cheaper materials to use.

if it is too hard to consistently manufacture correctly, then the design is bad.

i agree

what gives?

The design is not so hot, They did not account for particles in the fluid getting trapped in the piston chambers. Take if off, clean it, flush the system and reinstall.

I just got done tearing a DCCV apart last weekend and posted pictures on this website.

I think the weak spot of the DCCV is the rubber bootie that acts as a seal between the water chambers and the solenoid. Water and solenoids is not usually a good combo. I saw corrosion on the two solenoid bodies. The booties are supposed to prevent water from getting into the solenoid body. Mine had tears in the rubber and there was evidence of water inside the solenoid.

I confirm the DCCV is made by BOSCH, at least that was what was Stamped into both metal covers of the solenoids.

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back