Is there supposed to be a light in the center console bucket "utility compartment"?

YdibuynLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
After I repalced the DATC in my 04 LS V8 I noticed a small hole facing the front of the car. I thought maybe a light popped out. Looked around and found nothing off the wiring harness in there.

if you are referring to the storage compartment in the rear of the center console under the armrest that opens up, NO

do you have a power port in the front lower left of the compartment? if not, there should be where the hole is...

do you have a picture?

EDIT: there is just supposed to be a plug in there... just ran out and checked, mine is exactly like this one (minus the added aux plug)
Xg26v.jpg

Great I guess that plug got tossed with the other extra pieces. Thanks for checking!

i believe he's referring to under the radio... My first gen did

I wouldn't call that little ass ashtray a "bucket" by any means LOL
but then if we were talking about a 1st gen, the ashtray and center console storage is actually about the same size! :cool::p

BTW, if it is the ashtray, then yes, it should have a light...

I added a light to the armrest compartment on both of my LSes. It wasn't hard to do. I just added a white LED (plus resistor) wired to the illumination power to the parking brake or AdvanceTrac button.

I added a light to the armrest compartment on both of my LSes. It wasn't hard to do. I just added a white LED (plus resistor) wired to the illumination power to the parking brake or AdvanceTrac button.

Pictures or it didn't happen!!!!! ;)

Did you need the resistor? What "size"? This sounds like a very nice addition!!!! I added LED lights to the trunk and just spliced them into the existing trunk light. I didn't use a resistor and they don't stay on at all; at least not that I can see in the dark......

my bad... you do have an additional tray "bucket"...

LOL no need for a light for the armrest on a first gen.

Pictures or it didn't happen!!!!! ;)

Did you need the resistor? What "size"? This sounds like a very nice addition!!!! I added LED lights to the trunk and just spliced them into the existing trunk light. I didn't use a resistor and they don't stay on at all; at least not that I can see in the dark......

You probably used LED assemblies with the current limit resistors built-in. I just used a T1-3/4 discrete white LED. White LEDs have a voltage of about 3 to 4 volts, and this one was a 20 mA LED. I think I used a 560 ohm resistor. I just drilled a hole in the plastic just below the coin holder and pushed the LED through from the out side. It's not super bright, but at night you can clearly see everything in the compartment.

Here's a similar LED:
http://www.mpja.com/5mm-Super-Bright-White-10000mcd-Non-Diffused-LED/productinfo/17145 OP/

Members online

Back