Is this a tranny problem

lan_baba

LVC Member
Reaction score
I currenty have a 06 LS with 71k on it. recently i noticed a problem when driving around 55mph, the rpm is around 2k. If i step on the gas, i can feel several kick back before it shift into the gear. before this problem, i only can feel one kick which i think should be normal(the down shift or upshift). i already have the dealer replaced the tranny fluid and the trans-axil fluid, but the problem still exist. i do not get any error code. Please, any thoughts and suggestions?

Sounds more like the torque converter locking/unlocking.

I currenty have a 06 LS with 71k on it. recently i noticed a problem when driving around 55mph, the rpm is around 2k. If i step on the gas, i can feel several kick back before it shift into the gear. before this problem, i only can feel one kick which i think should be normal(the down shift or upshift). i already have the dealer replaced the tranny fluid and the trans-axil fluid, but the problem still exist. i do not get any error code. Please, any thoughts and suggestions?

Always start by replacing the COPs (ignition coils) and spark plugs first. It's possible that you are experiencing mild misfires from one or more marginal coils.

+1 on coils. Trust us, just replace them all. I have had 2 LSs and have done it once on both. Trouble for me happened around 60k miles on both cars. You can get 8 visteon coils on eBay for $180.

+2 on coils. Get plugs and coils replaced if you haven't done so lately. Continue reading if you are certain they are good...

This may turn out to be a long reply, but it may save you alot of money. I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

Last year I got custom exhaust. 2.5 from the cats back with an x-pipe in place of the 3rd cat, and removed resonators. Installed flowmaster 44's in place of stock mufflers and added 4in chrome tips. I decided to keep the stock cats because at the time it seemed like an un-needed expense. In hind sight, I should've thrown down the extra $500-800 for hi-flow cats, but #1. I didn't think they were bad, and my mechanic never pulled any codes for them. #2. I didn't know that the warranty for cats was 8 yrs. Otherwise, I would've just replaced the damn things for free!

Over the next few months I noticed the tranny was slipping and ever since I bought the car, it had a weird surging at highway speeds. So seeing as my extended warranty was almost up, I decided to bring it in to a Lincoln dealer. I knew my plugs and coils were good(thanks to help from others on this forum), but I had no idea that my cats were plugged. Dealer confirmed that they were plugged and said they would have to replace prior to diagnosing the tranny. Even though they quoted me "dealer" price, I agreed because I wanted guys who are familiar with the sr55 to do the troubleshooting.

After the cats were done, they confirmed tranny slips and surging at highway speeds(duh). They tried replacing the valve body and servo, but had no luck. Then they went for a re-man tranny and viola, both the slipping and surging problems were fixed. Thank god I still had the warranty because it would easily cost $3000 for the tranny plus some for miscellaneous parts and labor. Also, they have to replace the tranny cooler to keep the warranty on the tranny. They quoted me $900 for that, but cut it in half because I had other work done there.

Obviously, you want to fix the small/inexpensive things first, but if you explain in further detail what kind of issues you are having, I will do my best to help you troubleshoot, and save $$$!

First off, there is no transaxle. How far are you "stepping on the gas?" If you're mashing it you may be feeling a two gear downshift. As Black said, it may be a downshift and TC unlock; which feels like a gear change. Pretty much the only time I am at 55 is on the on- or off-ramp!

You should initially feel failing coils as a hesitation (slight or major) travelling uphill (shallow or steep) under light throttle.

the problem for me is that i have the plugs and coils replaced in 2010, when i start to get those famous codes and engine fail safe mode. i forgot which ebayer i got the coils, but i thin it is from miami. do u think its the coils again?

the problem for me is that i have the plugs and coils replaced in 2010, when i start to get those famous codes and engine fail safe mode. i forgot which ebayer i got the coils, but i thin it is from miami. do u think its the coils again?

If you bought cheap coils.... DEFINITELY!!!! Stick with (made in China) OEM or (made in Hungary) Visteon. My preference is the Visteon as they aren't made in China and Visteon is a Ford supplier.

I also purchased the visteon coils. Got them off ebay from a seller named "alanisdeals". He sells them for $180. I've been rockin them for over a year without issues. Of course, I used a moderate amount of dielectric grease and even had to apply a bead of hi-temp RTV on the coil covers because the original gasket was not making a proper seal and a couple of the bolts were stripped. We tried to tap them out, and even put lock-tight in there to no avail. Now to the more important issue...
It sounds like you might be experiencing a "surge" at highway speeds. I had this from 55 to 65mph. The best way to describe it is like the tranny doesn't know whether to go from 4th, 5th, or overdrive. If you hold it steady, she will go vroom, vroom, vroom, at 1 or 2 second intervals. Once you kick down on it she will drop a gear and once you get back to cruising speed(70mph) it will be just fine. I originally thought this was fuel or throttle body related.
Let me know if this is what you are seeing. I could be way off, but I'm just trying to help. Lord knows I've gotten tons of help from this forum already ;).

Sounds like my problem. I check again today, the speed is around 50mph, and the rpm is around 1800, and if I hold it steady, I can feel the vroom, and feel the gas padel gives me the feedback a little bit, just like the gear changing. So, do you know what is the problem?

I also purchased the visteon coils. Got them off ebay from a seller named "alanisdeals". He sells them for $180. I've been rockin them for over a year without issues. Of course, I used a moderate amount of dielectric grease and even had to apply a bead of hi-temp RTV on the coil covers because the original gasket was not making a proper seal and a couple of the bolts were stripped. We tried to tap them out, and even put lock-tight in there to no avail. Now to the more important issue...
It sounds like you might be experiencing a "surge" at highway speeds. I had this from 55 to 65mph. The best way to describe it is like the tranny doesn't know whether to go from 4th, 5th, or overdrive. If you hold it steady, she will go vroom, vroom, vroom, at 1 or 2 second intervals. Once you kick down on it she will drop a gear and once you get back to cruising speed(70mph) it will be just fine. I originally thought this was fuel or throttle body related.
Let me know if this is what you are seeing. I could be way off, but I'm just trying to help. Lord knows I've gotten tons of help from this forum already ;).

is the solenoids/touqe converter covered by powertrain warranty? mine powertrain warranty is 75k, and it will be expiring in one month.

is the solenoids/touqe converter covered by powertrain warranty? mine powertrain warranty is 75k, and it will be expiring in one month.

Yes, if you mean the factory powertrain warranty.

Took the car to the dealer and now he caused me some additional problem. The tech said after he plugged in the scan tool, the advancetrac lights start to flash, and now it flashes all the time (whether the car is moving or not, as long as the key is in the on position, and the shift still in P). I can still turn on/off the advancetrac, and if I do a status check, sometime is will say check advancetrac, sometime it will say ok. And if I'm driving like this, sometime the check advancetrac message will on. Any idea what will cause this?
By the way, we have a lot of rain in the past few weeks (the Debby storm), and the car almost got soaked when passing some deep water (the engine filter got all wet, but I managed to got the car home at low speed (at low RPM the car drives normal; but at high RPM I guess the increased air flow will pull the water from the filter and cause the engine to acting up), and replace the filter immediately). After that the car drives ok. And since it is a lot of rain (which means going through water puddles a lot), maybe something wrong with the wires/sensors/connections?
I will take the car to the dealer again tomorrow.

He probably accidentally started the AdvanceTrac calibrate procedure and didn't correctly finish it. (You wouldn't be the first that this has happened to.) Surely he could have at least told you the codes that it was reporting after that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back