Is this good free air sub?

No.

It uses a paper cone, almost all new speakers now a days use some sort of synthetic material that is 10x stronger and puts out a better sound.

The RMS is only 200 - 250, meaning it can range depending on the quality of build that the speaker had.

The 12" version has a good frequency response at 22 Hz, but without any power it won't do anything.

If your looking for a decent entry level sub, look into the Alpine E series.

Unless a sub states specifically it can be used in a free air environment then you should not use it as such.

I personally, woudl never recommend an open air sub. That's what full range speakers are for. If you want some 6x9 "subs" then get some; if you want a 12; put it in a box. You may notice that even the LS's rear deck 6x9 "subs" came in an enclosure. Boxes allow the sub better response and power handling.... you will likely be disappointed by open air subs.

doesn't matter if it's paper or not or if it says free air or not. You gotta check out the specs. I was hoping someone could see pass the marketing of it all.

I have an illuison audio 10 that hits hard and sounds way to nice in my contour. It is an IB set up. I just can't find a local dealer.

There is an alpine dealer in town. Maybe i'll see if he'll let me test drive an e series.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, the xmax and FS look proper for a IB set up.

You're driving a lincoln. Why are you looking to put cheap speakers in a nice car.:confused: I'd say pony up for some JL's or just leave it alone.

You're driving a lincoln. Why are you looking to put cheap speakers in a nice car.:confused: I'd say pony up for some JL's or just leave it alone.

are you serious??? i should just leave these questions for an audio forum:rolleyes:

Alpine type E's if you're looking for basic entry level non show off'ish performance. Step up to the Type S series if you want to start getting serious, or dump the cash on some Type R's... best in the business, next to the square ones :D

should be done by next week, will post success or failure. Thanks

Just out of curiosity, where are you mounting the sub you got? I'm assuming you got the sub you asked about... if that is incorrect, which did you get?

why infinite baffle?

I need what little trunk space we have for occasional wheel chair use for my little boy.

We sold our explorer so until we get a replacement in october, no access.

I will mount it on the rear deck from the bottom with mdf. I've don it b4 but not with this sub.

Well that's a very good reason to do the IB setup. The trunk space is VERY limited in this car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back