Just Brought a 03 LS V8

DGiggs

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm new the LVC, just joined. Just brought a 03 V8 LS. Two questions, is there anything that can be done to quiet the initial start up? And, I notice that initial acceleration is a little slow. Any tips?

:W 2 :V

My 00 isnt that loud can you explain what it sounds like. You could have a bad coil or something whihc would inhibit acceleration. I think there could be a TSB on that transmission. I will look to see if there are any.

Initial start up sounds like a car in need of a tune up. After a minute it quiets some, dropping just under a 1000 RPMs. As for accelration, I have to give it to much gas to get any pick up. On the highway I have no problem accelerating, just the initial start up. I brought it from the dealer, pulled the carfax and service record. It showed that it just had the 10K service done. It has about 14K miles on it now.

as for initial startup.
are you talking about the warm up period?
if it is, it's suppose to do that.
after start, rpm is bit high (I think around 1200-1500) but in about 5 seconds or so it drops down to below 1000. It's does that to warm up the engine. that's what it says on the manual.

Yeah, I read that in the manual, just thought something else might have caused it or if there was something else going happening. Do you have any problems accelerating?

loveLSE said:
as for initial startup.
are you talking about the warm up period?
if it is, it's suppose to do that.
after start, rpm is bit high (I think around 1200-1500) but in about 5 seconds or so it drops down to below 1000. It's does that to warm up the engine. that's what it says on the manual.

yes like lovelse said this is normal operation. Normal idle is stated to be 737 rpm once it is warmed up.

Thanks for the additional info. Has anyone had any problems out of the Electronic Parking Brake or the Advance Autotrac..meaning a service warning coming up on the dash.

Yes. Mine did that for a while.
for some reason it doesnt do that anymore.
I was in a car crash with my beloved LS. (my poor baby)
after that it started to light up.
took it to dealer, they said no problem.
I dont remember last time it happened.
it kinda went away on its own.
cant explain...

I just bought a 2003 LS V8 as well, and I've noticed the same problem on acceleration; I just attribute it to being a Lincoln (softer feel). However, I'm not getting the same problem of loud on startup. I have 14K miles as well.

Wigjiggy said:
I just bought a 2003 LS V8 as well, and I've noticed the same problem on acceleration; I just attribute it to being a Lincoln (softer feel). However, I'm not getting the same problem of loud on startup. I have 14K miles as well.

I think there are 2 things here. First the electronic throttle by wire seems to have poor tip in response (it is the same on my 2003 V8) and is something many 2003 owners have comoplained about. You just have to mash it further to get it up and going. Second, if these are used cars then the system (PCM) has learned behavior from the previous driver. If the previous driver babied the throttle, then it has learned to respond with lighter shifts, etc.

If I had just gotten a used LS the first thing I would do is disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to clear out the learned behaviour (reset the PCM). Then after that drive it like you hate it to get it to learn a more aggressive launch and shift schedule.

i tend to break it in slowly since it is adaptive but I might just try starting out in maniac mode first next time I reset the car.

Kelleyo said:
If I had just gotten a used LS the first thing I would do is disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to clear out the learned behaviour (reset the PCM). Then after that drive it like you hate it to get it to learn a more aggressive launch and shift schedule.

:I

Members online

Back