Just some basic questions

DysfunktinaL

LVC Member
Reaction score
Picked up my '95 Mark about 2-3 months ago, and have gone through alot of hassle (my own fault). It's going to be road worthy again tonight pending a rear brake pad swap, and I decided to go ahead and do some of the basic maintainance while I was at it since I have no idea when it was done last.

I am just doing the basic oil change, radiator flush, and air filter swap, and later this week I am going to do the power steering and transmision fluids. And after these pads go out, I am having a full brake job done with pads, rotors, calipers, and fluids.

Really the only question I have is what weight oil should I use? My oil cap is massivly warped and the text on it completly gone, and I can't seem to find anything online about this.

What is the best brand/grade/weight oil for my '95 Mark with about 157k miles on it?

Anything else I should look into fixing on my Mark considering it's age and miles?

5w 30 recommended. Any decent brand like Mobil 1 is ok. Use in conjunction with a decent oil filter like a Motorcraft FL 820 S which has the anti drainback valve. Suspension and steering parts are the high wear items you may want to check out while you are getting down and dirty.

Yeah, I just had my Driver rear knuckle replaced. That was a nice $500 repair, but that was all my bad. Took it sideways into a sidewalk doing something stupid and lost the back end. Wasn't used to the power yet coming from my front wheel drive 105 HP 4 banger into a 280 HP rear wheel Marky.

When I got that replace my mechanic told me I should get the front control arms replaced, so that's going to be another couple bills right there.

Oh, and lastly, should I be expecting a pain in the ass oil filter position, or it is relativly easy to get to and remove?

Lol. I know what you mean. Like me you went from a car that has lift off over steer to one that over steers on demand. You could save some $$ and buy the uppers and lowers and do it yourself - not too hard if you have a few tools, time and patience!

Oil filter: Bit of a pain, gets easier with practice. Located lower part of engine, at front left (driverside) Look underneath and you will see it. I think there are some threads already descibing how best to do that. Do a search.

Thanks a ton Blue, great tips. I think I am going to buy a couple ramps today for doing the fluids suff, and I already bought a decent lift kit, so I'll look into doing it myself. I have a buddy who has an '02 Stang that he's re-build for the track, so he'll be able to help me with the control arms and has most of the tools. Whatever I don't have I can buy too. You can never have to many tools, and you never know when you'll be able to use a tool for something other than intended use, such as using the handle for my lift as an extender for a breaker bar, or something to place against a ratchet to hit with a hammer when there is no room to do it in the engine well like when removing the bolts on your AC compressor (did it!). Hahaha.

No problem. Im sure you and your buddy will have no trouble doing the stuff. When you do come to changing the lower arms, mark the positions of the camber plates first - helps to keep things aligned when you put it all back together.

yep

yea, the oil filter is a bitch to remove if you have never done it before. There is only one way it can come out. Once you have it unscrewed you need to maneuver it so you can squeeze it past sum wires(or a hose< cant remember) in a plastic sheath. It will be a tight squeeze but it will come through.

I was wonderin

Does anyone know if you could somehow put a supercharger on a 93 mk8. I know the mustangs can take them, but im not sure if there has to be specifice bolt patterns like on the mustang....????

Does anyone know if you could somehow put a supercharger on a 93 mk8. I know the mustangs can take them, but im not sure if there has to be specifice bolt patterns like on the mustang....????

You can if you got the $$. Take a look at the Mark VIII Performance forum. Many options and methods. LMS do a Vortech kit, or there is the more challenging and expensive twin screw route.

as per oil change:

Did my first one last sunday and it was easier than you guys make it out to be.. Get either the metal loop gadget or the adapter that fits onto a wrench. I used the metal loop w/ handle thing and it worked great..The hardest part was figuring out wich way was counter-clockwise upside down...
Removing it once off was simple as well, alittle messy but it all trickles down the cross member anyways..Make sure you have your pan under the spout and towards the filter area.

My second car is a 98 marquis with the same filter location..I'd say that one is alittle harder.. You have to remember to turn the wheel or else you cant get the filter out due to the swaybar location..

Reguardless, They both take about 10-15 once its jacked up

Yeah, its not that bad really. Certainly alot easier with the proper oil filter adapter than the strap spanner i had been using! Lol.

Ford revised the oil weight to 5W-20 so you can use that if you wish. Maybe you'll save .0000000001 mpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back