JVC DVD H/U install with (lots of) pictures

tyhackman15

LVC Member
Reaction score
I decided to make a little write-up of how to install a single din H/U in a 2005 LS

First disconnect the battery.

Step one: Remove vents above stereo. I used a flat blade screwdriver to release the clips, then it pulls straight out.
DSCN0330.jpg

Then unplug it..
DSCN0331.jpg

Step two: Remove plastic surrounding shifter. Used a very small screwdriver again..
DSCN0332.jpg

Remove it..
DSCN0333.jpg

Step three: remove ash tray/cigarette lighter. Two 7mm (i believe) bolts and two screws
DSCN0334.jpg

...then move it to the side
DSCN0335.jpg

Step four: Remove the four (8mm) bolts holding in the radio/climate controls
Top:
DSCN0336.jpg

Bottom:
DSCN0338.jpg

Remove/unplug Radio and climate controls:
DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

Then connect wires on aftermarket wiring harness
DSCN0343.jpg

Mount dash kit (i had to drill new holes)
DSCN0341.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

Reverse instructions and you're done
DSCN0346.jpg

First off, thank you very much tyhackman15 for the write up! This is exactly what I was looking for as I'm about to do a similar install on my '03 V8 Sport.

My question is - it appears that you have the factory "audiophile" sound system in yours that includes 12 speakers, right? Does the aftermarket harness and stereo you put in support all 12 speakers? Mine is the same setup, and does not have the THX or navigation. I would really like to retain all the speakers function - even the tweeters - as I care about the quality of the music.

Thanks, and sorry for bringing a thread back from the dead here.

the main radio harness will power all 8 (four dual driver pods) door speakers, there is an extra harness that has RCA connectors that send signal (and turn on command) to the amp that drives the two subs and to the amp that drives the two center console "effect" speakers.

if you care about the quality of the sound, dont hook up the RCA for the center console speakers... since they are for adding sound effects that the factory radio was programmed for utilizing its Digital Sound Processor, since almost no aftermarket radio will have this same DSP, they will not be set up for them, you would only be able to hook them up to the left or the right channel which will throw off the imaging of the sound.

since you have a 03, you will have to take the radio out to see which harness you have...

the earily 03s had this harness 70-5701
new_11_35.jpg

then sometime mid year they switched to the newer style harness 70-5521
HaI1B.jpg

new_11_35.jpg

HaI1B.jpg

Thank you! The date is 6/03 on the door jamb sticker, so it's anyone's guess until I pull the radio out.

So...if I'm understanding this correctly, the RCA jacks will only be used to supply the subs? Also, am I better off leaving the c. console speakers disconnected, and if so, how?

one of the two RCA's and its corresponding amp turn on wire (blue with white stripe) is for the sub amp, the other RCA connector is for the center channel amp.

since they are both mono amps, they don't need a full pair for each amp.

if I was a betting man, I would say that would be the newer plug (2nd one I listed) being built that late in the year, that's almost when they stopping making them and start the new model year.

but I would still take the ten mins to pull the radio out just to make sure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back