keypad retrofit?

michaelrogers

LVC Member
Reaction score
My LS lacks a keypad, and having them in the past on my Mark VIIIs and my Mercury Sable, I have determined I cannot live without it.

I found some aftermarket units that look clean, but wonder if anyone here has ever done this with Lincoln parts from the wrecker.

Anyone tried this job?

Thanks

So, which aftermarket unit did you get?

I see one on eBay for $35 and it has got good feedback. No drilling, wireless with 5 year battery.

I saw another for $110, and it was also wireless, no drilling, 5 year battery.

Another wired unit for $180, that obviously requires drilling to get the wires inside, and more as it took a lot of holes.

I like the idea of wired, as no batteries. However I am basically lazy whenever possible and the idea of sticking the thing on is mighty appealing too. I can't imagine anyone ripping the thing off, for a variety of reasons. I have an extra key in a magnetic holder on the vehicle anyway, so if the battery goes dead 4.5 years down the line, I won't be up the creek.

Putting a factory unit on there is most appealing, even though it goes against my lazy instincts. I just figure that Lincoln would never make this an easy retrofit, however, so this thread is a long shot in the dark in the off-chance hope someone here has done something crazy like this.

go to LSKONCEPTS.COM they got the one that works for the LS and I think it's the OEM one...but dunno, give it a look. For me...I NEVER needed a keypad...cause i have my car keys :-D

I bought a keypad for my '02 LS but never installed it. A couple things, it needs to be programmed by a dealer (depending on year) and to me the aftermarket is alittle bulky looking. The oem has a nice flush look. I find mine to be invaluable. Just tonight i needed to run out to get something out of the trunk. Its nice to lock/unlock without grabbing the keys. I also tend to lock the keys in the car when at the gym or other places when i dont want keys in my pocket.

I also seem to recall there being an issue with trying to install a wired unit. Something in regards to the wiring/computer, etc.

So, which aftermarket unit did you get?

I see one on eBay for $35 and it has got good feedback. No drilling, wireless with 5 year battery.

I saw another for $110, and it was also wireless, no drilling, 5 year battery.

Another wired unit for $180, that obviously requires drilling to get the wires inside, and more as it took a lot of holes.

I like the idea of wired, as no batteries. However I am basically lazy whenever possible and the idea of sticking the thing on is mighty appealing too. I can't imagine anyone ripping the thing off, for a variety of reasons. I have an extra key in a magnetic holder on the vehicle anyway, so if the battery goes dead 4.5 years down the line, I won't be up the creek.

Putting a factory unit on there is most appealing, even though it goes against my lazy instincts. I just figure that Lincoln would never make this an easy retrofit, however, so this thread is a long shot in the dark in the off-chance hope someone here has done something crazy like this.

I think I paid $45 for it from ebay. Same one though. Wireless, 5 year battery. I wasn't too sure about making a hole or buying a new door to put a factory keypad on. Plus I didn't know if I could even hook up a wired keypad to an 01.

no one has figured out how to connect the hardwired OE versions into the car - so those of us (me included) that have added a keypad, use the type - it simulates a key fob and can unlock both the driver's only, unlock all doors, or pop the trunk....

It is a little thick - but most people are surprised that it looks ok on.

I think I paid $45 for it from ebay. Same one though. Wireless, 5 year battery. I wasn't too sure about making a hole or buying a new door to put a factory keypad on. Plus I didn't know if I could even hook up a wired keypad to an 01.

Do you have a closer picture of that on your car? I always thought the aftermarket ones were too clunky, and kept me from getting one.

I also got the keypad and all the wiring from the junkyard out of an 05. I noticed on my 01 the door module has the extra plug opening where the 05 keypad wiring went in. I haven't done anything yet but I am curious as to if it could be programed to work?

As far as mounting, you can think out of the box, one member mounted his in the rear license plate surround.

I'd like to eventually have mine taken off the door and use like a Ford Explorer keypad that goes into the door pillar. Hate the way that keypad looks on the door. This is yet another thing I probably won't get around to. lol

OEM is a P/N 7L2Z-14A626-BA listing for 85.00 LVC is 71.40 plus shipping.

I found two that look very good, but chose the one from Ford Accessories (part number 7L2Z-14A626-BA). I got it for $75 shipped from Troy Ford Accessories.

This unit requires nothing but programming and sticking it on your car. I don't know the programming process yet, but probably like a fob. It only opens the driver's door.

Both were only 3/8" thick, but the above unit came with two bezels, one textured black, the other paint ready smooth.

The second unit was also very appealing, had more functions and was cheaper to boot. It did however, require a module to be placed in the drivers door and a wire to run down to the trunk release button. It opened the door and disarmed the alarm, and also opened the trunk. I has a similar appearance to the Ford unit.

I plan on placing this on the driver door pillar, as it is black and I like the clean look on the door better that the stock look on the door.

For me, the lack of dicking around with the wiring, though not a big deal, was not worth the extra $25, or the option of popping the trunk. I'll just open the door and pop the trunk.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

For reference, here is the cheaper unit with the receiver in the door.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110358574747

on Gen1 - adding this means programming it like a Key FOB - trip to the dealer....

Hey Quick, your ride is awesome. Under 13 in the 1/4? Wow!

Your 2001 looks really clean. It amazes me how many of these LSs have so few door dings and good paint at this age. They must have used thick sheet metal. Or perhaps it is the blue haired old lady that parks it in her garage religiously. I don't know, but I see a lot of these that are surprisingly clean (and being driven by elderly folk).

The keypad looks good on your door, especially with the dark blue color where it does not stand out. I have a parchmemt/goldish color that will contrast more, so I think I'll check out some alternative positions when I get it. The position near the trunk sounds interesting... particularly if mine works the trunk. The sales guy who sold it to me said it only did the drivers door, but the picture of yours looked just like the one I ordered, and sales people often are misinformed, so here's hoping.

Like I said in my original post, I can't live without this feature. I play disc golf regularly, and the ability to have empty pockets on the course is "priceless".:cool:

Could always make your key into a necklace :p......easily conceilable and cheap :p

Got somew pics of the keypad for anyone who wants to see what the aftermarket Ford one looks like on the door.
006.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

Pete, that is some good "outside the box" thinking. I like it, but the keypad is on the way!

Get the key gold plated and then you be pimpi'n son! :p

It's what i suggest to any of my buddies..I have dogtags that carry my I.D. and car keys so I have never a need for wallet.....

Thanks for the pics. That is a bit thicker than I thought, but still reasonable.

I should have mine in the next day or two. I plan on putting it either on the pillar, or back at the license plate like the other fellow did. The rear position makes a certain sense, because most of the time I use it to pop the trunk anyway. There seems to be the perfect place between the two lights, out of the rain, no one would know its there. I will have to learn to use it sight unseen and upside down, but that is not so different from the rest of my life.

Dealer wants $55 to program it, a tad unreasonable for 5 minutes, but there does not appear to be a better alternative.

I should have mine in the next day or two. I plan on putting it either on the pillar, or back at the license plate like the other fellow did. The rear position makes a certain sense, because most of the time I use it to pop the trunk anyway. There seems to be the perfect place between the two lights, out of the rain, no one would know its there. I will have to learn to use it sight unseen and upside down, but that is not so different from the rest of my life.

thats one hell of a good idea! Its like the pop button people with shaved handles have stashed somewhere on their car

Members online

No members online now.
Back