Life Is Good on 295's! New tire review.

zintkala

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Finally have pics for you guys, been crazy busy here and raining almost every day. I'll try to get some better pics this week.

255/35/19 and 295/30/19 Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's.

I've had them on for almost two weeks now and had the opportunity to really get to know them and the novelty of them being new has worn off a bit, so here is an honest review.

They are an extremely impressive tire. Probably the best street tire I've ever owned. There are no clearance issues at all. I have tried very hard to get them to rub, even loaded the car up with some friends and went to downtown Chicago for a show and fully loaded over bad pavement I had no problems. Even though they are a taller tire they do ride a little firmer than the 275/30/19 Nitto's that were on there due to much stiffer sidewalls. Firmer but smoother than before, kind of hard to explain but while there is much more road feel and communication than before they are not uncomfortable and feel much more refined and controlled. I've gotten used to them now but the first couple of days the car seemed darty and felt like it wanted to wander a bit. Part of it is a much wider contact patch that follows road irregularities more and part of it is the tire itself. They are extremely responsive and respond immediately to steering input. I have gone out and made a few late night, clandestine, banzai runs to really explore their limits. They offer an incredible amount of grip for a street tire, comparable to dedicated track tires I've used. They are also very progressive and easily controlled at their limits. Very easy tire to drive fast on. Read Dunlops info on thier webpage about the technology behind them if you like, they do a much better job then I can to explain them but they are very responsive to driver input, almost intuitive, where you point the car is where it goes, period. Now comes the fun part, at the limits the car now wants to understeer more, understandable and expected, I will be playing with the alignment over the next couple of weeks to try and correct it. Just need to increase the forward bite a bit. Probably end up somewhere around -.7 to -.8 camber with zero toe in or maybe even .1 degree of toe out. We'll see, and before I forget for such a wide and responsive tire they are fantastic in the rain. I can't wait to see what Michelin will come up with to counter the Sport Maxx GT as I feel that the PS2 is probably the closest tire out there to compare it to.

4-23-09 010 lvc.jpg

4-23-09 011 lvc.jpg

P4290038 lvc.jpg

P4290048 lvc.jpg

hahahahaha I just tried telling the wife yesterday that even though I had only seen a 285 I thought a 295 would fit and maybe even something in the 3's if the offest were high enough.

They are the same wheels I've had for a couple of years now. Just new tires. 19x8.5 52mm offset, 19x10 58mm offset. They are meant for a late model Ferrari. Works very well on our cars.

if you lower that car.... the rears are gonna rub

Really? Thanks for pointing that out.....I have no intention of ever lowering this car. No need and it sits low enough that driveways and speedbumps are an issue already.

Sully, give me a day or two and yes, I'll get you pics. Just an estimate but there is about .5" clearance between the sidewall and the brake line metering block and bracket. With a little fender work and custom wheels I think a 305 would fit but barely.

The tires look great but for the love of God Man Get those :q:q:q:qing ferrari caps off of there!

Looks good, dude. Wish I had the time to dick around and see if I could get something wider than a 245 out back on mine.

The tires look great but for the love of God Man Get those ing ferrari caps off of there!

Yeah, I hear ya. Been putting it off, too many other things to worry about. Been thinking about having a buddy of mine do something in black and chrome die cut vinyl. Chrome vinyl with a black overlay, die cut Lincoln star and then a gloss clear UV resistant top layer. Should be cheap and easy if I ever get around to it. Maybe this week...just to get you off my back! :p :D :p

Wow I really like the tires, rims are nice too but like everyone else said the Ferrari caps need to go.

I'm getting quite close to the wear bars on my PS2s. Excellent traction in the wet, but worthless in snow. How do yours compare, pricewise? (I'm on 18" Verde Kaos rims.)
KS

Just saw the price on these. I hope that they are as good as described because 400 a corner seems pretty steep. But they are pretty sweet!:cool:

It just doesn't look right :( IDK it just doesn't look well or healthy. I thought 285's on a caprice were a bit much...

Hey Pete, Look up at the top of the post. I answered your question yesterday. I'd luv to meet you someday, somehow I get the feeling you were that kid in school, on Ridlin, harmless, but who never shut up or sat still for long.;)

lol I just noticed the comment...kinda skimmed right past me :p

Harmless...on the contrary.....but I don't wanna get into that old crap :p

and if a ADHD kid was n Ridlin would'nt you expect him to actually sit down a be patient...I mean that's what the drug is for dummy.....you should look more into it.....that includes concerta and adderall

Do you ever stop to think before you speak or is this just some sick way that you get off? You are fast becoming the only person on this board who I genuinely dislike and I've never even met you. "If you don't have anything positive or constructive to say, don't say anything at all." Didn't anyone ever teach you that?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members online

No members online now.
Back