Likely Heater Core leak

jmlckls

LVC Member
Reaction score
I think my 02-V6-Manual LS has got a heater core leak. It's got 99,800 miles. Last time I had the radiator fluid changed was probably 5-6 years ago. The car is rarely driven anymore.

Around a month ago, I get in the car to take it for a short drive and notice a film on the windshield. Uh-oh, I drive it, but don't notice any smell and when I'm done, no fogged up windows. Then last week, I drive it again and same thing when I get in, but don't notice anything while driving. After letting the car sit for an hour and going back out to check there is condensation/film on all the windows. So now Im convinced I've got a problem.

I had one of these things replaced many years ago in a Jetta; can't remember how much it was, but it wasn't cheap. I see on Rock-Auto there is a Motorcraft heater core listed for $200. Aftermarket versions are around $60. Im betting the labor to replace this would be $1000.

Which brings me to the fix it, trade it, donate it, sell it to somebody that wants parts, or to Copart for whatever they would give me question. The engine runs well and the transmission is solid. Wheels are perfect and Continental tires are good.

Besides this the car is in good condition-not perfect but good. Here's the other things that need addressed:
1. plug under driver seat for Airbag system is worn
2. Front passenger automatic lock isn't working
3. crack in lower part of front windshield, goes all the way across below the cowl line.

I've attached a few pictures I took this past summer after giving it a good cleaning/wax.

Suggestions welcome.

DSC_1755.JPG

DSC_1761.JPG

DSC_1762.JPG

Well, I think the first step is to be certain that the core is leaking. It's possible and your symptoms certainly suggest it, but it is rare.
How about bypassing the cores and seeing if the symptoms go away? It's not as simple to do as a single core heater. You'll need a tee. Disconnect all three hoses from the cores, and connect all three to the tee.

If it is, the right thing to do is to remove the dash and replace the core with a new Motorcraft one. It's a pain, but if the car can sit for a while, you can do it in a couple of weekends or less.

Next would be to just leave the core bypassed and have no heat.

Or, get a quote for someone else to fix it. Then decide if you would trade your LS and pay the repair amount to get another LS. If so, maybe it is worth it to you to get it fixed.

I feel your pain. Same with my wife's 04 LS. I doubt if I'll get mine fixed.

Too bad. The car has low 60K mileage, but I can't fix it myself, and it's not worth spending the $$$. Sure, it's cheaper to fix it than to buy a new car, but what's next on the repair list? And, will parts be available?

I changed the heater core once myself in a 1981 Fairmont. Ain't going through that again, especially at my age (76 on 1/31/2019).

Any remote chance of a "stop leak" type product fixing the problem?

I feel your pain. Same with my wife's 04 LS. I doubt if I'll get mine fixed.

Too bad. The car has low 60K mileage, but I can't fix it myself, and it's not worth spending the $$$. Sure, it's cheaper to fix it than to buy a new car, but what's next on the repair list? And, will parts be available?

I changed the heater core once myself in a 1981 Fairmont. Ain't going through that again, especially at my age (76 on 1/31/2019).

Any remote chance of a "stop leak" type product fixing the problem?

I thought about using Bars Leaks product. The reviews cover the spectrum. Some says it works, some say it just clogs up the rest of the cooling system.

Any experience from anybody here?

I thought about using Bars Leaks product. The reviews cover the spectrum. Some says it works, some say it just clogs up the rest of the cooling system.

Any experience from anybody here?

Pretty good bet that you would have constant engine overheating after that. At least one guy did.

Off topic, but still a repair issue.

We have three large Ford dealerships in my area. My friend uses one for his retro Bird, I use another for my Retro and Explorer.

Took him a week to get an appointment to have a malfunction checked out in his Retro. (Independent shop diagnosed the code, but couldn't correct it.) Car's been in the shop for a week, still being checked out.

My Explorer started to make a droning noise from the front end. Took me ten days to get an appointment. Car's been in the shop for two days, still being diagnosed.

Both dealerships admit that they don't have enough mechanics

I get occasional condensation on the windshield. The bead of sealant around the windshield has broken, dead center at the top where two beads met. I was getting pooling and dripping from the center map light. I chased possibilities in the moon roof for a while before realizing I should gently run a hose ahead of the moon roof to see if it still leaked through

So, reading the OP a little closer, he said that "don't notice any smell." I had a heater core leak in another car. The first symptom was the smell.

It gets pretty hot here, and every car I have/had gets a film on the inside glass every so often. I assume it's chemicals outgassing from the interior materials. I have to clean it off every few months, or the windshield fogs up at night (never really cold here in the daytime). Also, on the LSes, the air door for the defrost does not seal very well, so in the right conditions, there is some fogging at the base of the windshield due to the air leaking on to it from the climate control.

I do have one complaint about the climate control. The Grand Marquis(es) that I had were smart enough to momentarily goose a little heated air on the windshield every so often when conditions were right to need it. Shouldn't the LS have been as smart?

My problem's been diagnosed. My friend's has not.

Since I haven't owned any other brand but Ford for decades, I have nothing to really compare Ford quality and/or service to.

But, right now, both seem pretty weak.

We have three large Ford dealerships in my area. My friend uses one for his retro Bird, I use another for my Retro and Explorer.

Took him a week to get an appointment to have a malfunction checked out in his Retro. (Independent shop diagnosed the code, but couldn't correct it.) Car's been in the shop for a week, still being checked out.

My Explorer started to make a droning noise from the front end. Took me ten days to get an appointment. Car's been in the shop for two days, still being diagnosed.

My car's fixed. Replaced a hub. Only 35,000 miles on the car. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dealer had a shuttle service pick me up to get my car. Every time the car came to a stop, it felt like it went out of gear. Asked the driver "What gives? Bad trans?"

Response.

"Car shuts off when stopped, starts again when the gas pedal is depressed."

Ugh!!

Last edited:
My windows are icy or wet, but I do not get a coolant smell.

If I can remember that far back, when my 94 TBird had a bad heater core, the windows would fog up when I put on the defroster.

They found his problem. Bad module. Part unavailable. Dealer's searching.

Members online

Back