Lincoln becomes the new Acura; Ford nixes V8 for MKS

As far as i am concerned this is the final nail in the coffin.

BMW/Mercedes/Cadillac/Lexus Here I come (when I decide to get a new car). Until then I will enjoy my V8 RWD Lincoln, the last of it's kind.

beaups said:
i had an 84 ford mustang with that 2.3l without the turbo. it was the most frighteningly slow vehicle i have ever driven in my life.

I had a 1980 Mustang 2.3L Turbo, and after removing all the emission control equipment and running 100 octane AvGas purchased from the local airport, the thing was ripping fast!

:D

I'm gonna trade my LS in for an S-Type "R" or an M3. 13s in a luxury vehicle naturally aspirated here I come! WOOOO! hehehehe...

P.S.

I've heard high-octane gas is worthless unless either

A) a tune calls for it (like my LS)
or B) your compression is high.

For instance, I run 93 octane in my '89 camaro that sits at about 10:1 compression. I was going to put some 110 octane in it at the race track this weekend when an old pro advised me that higher octane gas may not help my car at all being that it takes a higher temp. to reach combustion, and that higher temp is only reached at higher compression ratios like 11:1 - 12:1 and +

Any input on this? I usually run 93-octane in both my LS and my camaro...but thought about adding a 6 level octane booster which would put me at about 99 octane all the time.

Would this just be a huge waste of money?

beaups said:
clearly you've never driven a turbo. A correctly turbocharged car at cruising (say 2K rpms) will BLOW AWAY the torque out of your v8. That means strong pull without downshifting. Turbo motors can create full torque usually as low as 1300-1500 rpms. IF using small turbos in a TT application the spooling can be almost undetectible.

This is why "ricers" prefer races from a roll rather than from a dig. From a dig the V8's torque will win unless you are racing an AWD car like the Talon TSI, then it doesn't matter where you start the race.

Turbo'd cars make power once the turbine gets enough air to begin spinning. Its only common sense. However, once that turbine is spinning, its game on. :cool:

a decent driver can have the turbo spooled and ready go to while waiting for the light to go green. but remembe the "ricers" usually have a really small 4 cyl (1.8 or 2L) so that motor is really no good until the rpm's get going. a 3.5L V6 (or for example the 3.8 in the GN) should have enough torque to hold its own before the turbos get spinning.

beaups said:
a decent driver can have the turbo spooled and ready go to while waiting for the light to go green. but remembe the "ricers" usually have a really small 4 cyl (1.8 or 2L) so that motor is really no good until the rpm's get going. a 3.5L V6 (or for example the 3.8 in the GN) should have enough torque to hold its own before the turbos get spinning.
Very true about turbo's and using the GN as the example. If you havent viewed this video yet you can here the turbo spooling before he even launches.
http://members.shaw.ca/nkenv/Turbo-T_Viper.wmv

TheRebel said:
Fla02LS is right about the Grand Nationals being badass. I got a mechanic friend who just bought a new engine and turbo for his drag car. It looked like a a go cart engine, but the damn thing dynoed at upper 800hp. Thats crazy and he can still drive it down the street and not have any of the problems of a camed and carbed up V8. However I still like the idea of a V8 (the only thing American about cars now days even if it is made in Japan), but screw the 4.4. I think a big ol luxury car should have atleast 400 cid, Yeah like Ford or any of us would go for that. Maybe the 5.4 out of the Shelby or a twin turbo V8!! OK I'm just being stupid now.

no, rebel youre not being stupid, thats one of the smartest things ive ever heard. why not put a 500 hp sc 5.4 in the MKS? or hell, a tt 4.6 would be sweet too. hell, even a supercharged 4.6 would be good enough, or the 4.6 from the GT H (325hp). i mean, come on ford. youve got engines available (two tenths of a liter is not a huge difference) that are known and trusted.

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
I'm gonna trade my LS in for an S-Type "R" or an M3. 13s in a luxury vehicle naturally aspirated here I come! WOOOO! hehehehe...

S-Typr "R" is a supercharged 4.2L

issue there I think would be this is a transverse setup. ford probably doesn't have any fwd style tranny's to handle those engines. not to mention sliding that 4.6 in there sideways would be QUITE a feat.

transverse...i was going to include that but i couldnt remember the term. thanks

beaups said:
issue there I think would be this is a transverse setup. ford probably doesn't have any fwd style tranny's to handle those engines. not to mention sliding that 4.6 in there sideways would be QUITE a feat.

conti46.jpg

The mod motors were designed with FWD applications in mind...which is why the damn bore spacing is so tight.

The only car that seems to be decent is the MKZ, but it will not handle as well as a BMW, and when a car mag does a comparision test it will end up dead last. The MKS looks like crap, what is the use of designing a new motor, when the ones that Ford has can be tuned to 300hp+. Talk about wasting money developing new V8's when they have perfectly good ones on hand. Ford is killing off Lincoln to make Jaguar the only luxury car division of Ford. Jaguar is not even making money for Ford, they have contemplated selling the marque to Nissan/Reanult.

It looks like I should hold on to my Town Car, its the last of its type, and will be collectable soon. I dont drive it as a daily driver anyways, so she should last a long time.

daves2000ls said:
no, rebel youre not being stupid, thats one of the smartest things ive ever heard. why not put a 500 hp sc 5.4 in the MKS? or hell, a tt 4.6 would be sweet too. hell, even a supercharged 4.6 would be good enough, or the 4.6 from the GT H (325hp). i mean, come on ford. youve got engines available (two tenths of a liter is not a huge difference) that are known and trusted.
They won't fit in the engine bay. They were considering the 4.4L V8 because it's a narrow-angle (60-degree) V8, so it is narrow enough to fit the engine bay (the mod motor V8s are wide-@$$ motors). In fact, the 4.4L is in the 2007 S80, and it's getting lackluster reviews so far.

Besides, who wants a 315hp V8 when you can have a 350hp twin-turbo direct-injection V6? You'll have lower engine weight, which means better balance--and better off the line performance. Plus, you get an all-American V6 instead of a Japanese V8, if that makes a difference to you...

right and continental is BIG...probably much wider than mkz

Heard Ford may Sell off Jag and Aston. Then they should kill Mercury and just have Ford and Lincoln. Sell off Volvo while we are at it.

Then take the company private and focus on 2 brands.

It works for:

Toyota and Lexus

Honda and Acura

Nissan and Infiniti.

Not gonna happen though.

SoonerLS said:
They won't fit in the engine bay. They were considering the 4.4L V8 because it's a narrow-angle (60-degree) V8, so it is narrow enough to fit the engine bay (the mod motor V8s are wide-@$$ motors). In fact, the 4.4L is in the 2007 S80, and it's getting lackluster reviews so far.

Besides, who wants a 315hp V8 when you can have a 350hp twin-turbo direct-injection V6? You'll have lower engine weight, which means better balance--and better off the line performance. Plus, you get an all-American V6 instead of a Japanese V8, if that makes a difference to you...

Unfortunately, the last I read was the V6 wouldn't even be turbo charged. Just a plain jane V6.

Kelleyo said:
Heard Ford may Sell off Jag and Aston. Then they should kill Mercury and just have Ford and Lincoln. Sell off Volvo while we are at it.

Then take the company private and focus on 2 brands.

It works for:

Toyota and Lexus

Honda and Acura

Nissan and Infiniti.

Not gonna happen though.

Sell Jag and Volvo yes, but keep Mercury and let them do their own car designing instead of prettying up a Ford, just like they used to do. Mercury had some of the best looking cars IMOA back in the day. Also keep Aston, they're just to good looking to loose. Besides, even though I only have a Lincoln at least I still have a relationship to James Bond by us both being Ford guys :D

TheRebel said:
Unfortunately, the last I read was the V6 wouldn't even be turbo charged. Just a plain jane V6.
That's not what I've heard...

beaups said:
right and continental is BIG...probably much wider than mkz
Wide (wheel well to wheel well) isn't the problem. The Mod Motor V8s are fairly compact front to back (water pump to bellhousing interface), with a narrow bore spacing specifically for accommodating transverse mounting applications. This is a transverse mounting application, and it would probably fit between the wheel wells, but it's too wide (valve cover to valve cover) to fit between the firewall and radiator bulkhead.

SoonerLS said:
That's not what I've heard...

This is what I've read "Building upon our last report on the next Lincoln MKS, we recently learned that Ford will not be outfitting the MKS with the conceptual 4.4L V8 in an effort to save a little money. Instead, the executives at Ford have opted to equip the Town Car replacement with a run of the mill V6. Check out our past story on the MKS." rpmplanets.com
http://www.planetblueoval.com/lincoln/2008_lincoln_mk_000900.asp
I don't know how accurate they are or who their sources are, but it was the latest I'd heard. Please post some good news though.

TheRebel said:
This is what I've read "Building upon our last report on the next Lincoln MKS, we recently learned that Ford will not be outfitting the MKS with the conceptual 4.4L V8 in an effort to save a little money. Instead, the executives at Ford have opted to equip the Town Car replacement with a run of the mill V6. Check out our past story on the MKS." rpmplanets.com
http://www.planetblueoval.com/lincoln/2008_lincoln_mk_000900.asp
I don't know how accurate they are or who their sources are, but it was the latest I'd heard. Please post some good news though.

That's not new; it's what this whole thread is about. :confused: It doesn't say anything either way about a turbo V6.

I know its not new, but it was the latest I read. Orginally sources said the MKS would have a V8, then a turbo V6, but when I read run of the mill V6 I can only assume they mean no turbo. Which alot of us are hoping for if it doesn't get a V8, or some would rather have over a V8

Members online

No members online now.
Back