Lincoln LS Idle/Butt shimmy problem

MMAFIGHTER121

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
sitting at idle at a light or something i often get a shudder in the car... it doesn't feel like its coming from the engine but rather the transmission or rear axle... which concerns me a bit. the RPMs dont drop and the idle itself doesn't change at all but it basically feels like its wiggling its butt at the light, almost like a stalling engine would shudder the car but its not coming from the engine and the RPMs don't change at all. i know i need that transmission solenoid replaced cuz i get that notorious 5th gear slip between 45 and 60 at light throttle.. but that wouldn't affect idling would it? i dont feel any other slipping through gears or any other driving problems, its just a minor nuisance really at this point but i'd like to catch it before it balloons into an actual problem.

Check the coils

Owner of Silver 70k 2000 Ls V8, had similar problem at idle, check for a bad coil or might also be oil leak from worn gasket, which would short out coil. V8's can still run even if one cylinder isn't causing the stutter.

but i'm not feeling any power loss or problems accelerating or any of the other coil signs.... and again the shudder doesn't feel like its from the engine thats why i'm thinking its the tranny solenoid..

The idle speed may be too low, that could certainly cause a shudder in the car.
There's really nothing that moves in the back when the car is stopped, or at least nothing that is supposed to move.

from my experience: these cars are weird when it comes to misfires, you may only experience it at a stop light/idle with no cel, or you may notice it under a light load only with no cel, etc. I think a lot has to do with age and condition the coils are in. lots of miles and time I think play a major part.

Members online

No members online now.
Back