Lincoln-LS Modify-Airbox

2002_LS_V8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
:L hey guys, i just looked at the TECH section and i found on how to modify my air box... my question is did any of u do it and does it make a difference at all? can u feel it? does the engine sound meaner? mpg get better/worse? :L

thanks alot and :yourock: :shifty:

good questions,, i saw the article but never bothered..

Kinda-sorta ...

I switched to a K&N air filter and vented the bottom of my airbox by cutting a 1 1/2 inch hole. Yes, on being able to hear the difference. No, on being able to feel the difference. I don't pay any attention to gas mileage, so I can't help there.

I noticed a fairly large difference in throtle response/off idle response
and overall HP.....as for fuel eco.

since i drive 150+ one way daily, i noticed that when i didnt have foot
in it, i averaged around 1-3 MPG increase.

Great low cost mod IMO.

Not sure on the LS, but on a chebby website, they claimed a dyno'd increase on average of about 15-20hp for the LT1 chebby engine. Noise increased noticably, but the mod also included removing some noise dampers/mufflers on the intake. Don't know if the LS has these, I haven't done any modding on my LS and probably won't til the warranty is long gone.

The gotcha with most airbox mods is that they suck in air from the engine compartment. In the summer, the air can get pretty hot and you may actually lose power. Better bet is to rig up a cold air intake. Not sure if there is enough room on the LS to do that.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

2002_LS_V8 said:
:L hey guys, i just looked at the TECH section and i found on how to modify my air box... my question is did any of u do it and does it make a difference at all? can u feel it? does the engine sound meaner? mpg get better/worse? :L

thanks alot and :yourock: :shifty:

Well...since I wrote that article, I should respond. I thought that it definitely made a difference in pull across the entire RPM range. Obviously with the bottom cut out, at higher RPMs it starts to breathe a lot better than through that tiny hole in the front of the factory airbox. As for power made, I still need to post my dyno numbers but, here's my original post http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=6330 .

The biggest benefit to this free mod over an open element in the engine compartment is that it will still suck cooler air from behind the headlight/foglight. Some of the others you'll notice are an open element in the engine compartment. What this will do is suck in hot air...not good for air density in the intake tract. Someone did a compare of the temps with a protective box around the open element and without. From what I remember, there was quite a temp difference. That said, the modded air box will sheild from the engine heat.

One thing that was discussed in depth was the element size of the flat panel vs. a cone. I don't know that it was ever proven that the cone provides a huge difference over the panel on the 3.9L.

As usual, my $.02.

Pete02LSE said:
Well...since I wrote that article, I should respond. I thought that it definitely made a difference in pull across the entire RPM range. Obviously with the bottom cut out, at higher RPMs it starts to breathe a lot better than through that tiny hole in the front of the factory airbox. As for power made, I still need to post my dyno numbers but, here's my original post http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=6330 .

The biggest benefit to this free mod over an open element in the engine compartment is that it will still suck cooler air from behind the headlight/foglight. Some of the others you'll notice are an open element in the engine compartment. What this will do is suck in hot air...not good for air density in the intake tract. Someone did a compare of the temps with a protective box around the open element and without. From what I remember, there was quite a temp difference. That said, the modded air box will sheild from the engine heat.

One thing that was discussed in depth was the element size of the flat panel vs. a cone. I don't know that it was ever proven that the cone provides a huge difference over the panel on the 3.9L.

As usual, my $.02.

I'm getting the impression from this message that the 2000-2002s have a different airbox than my 2006. On my airbox there are two inlets, both of which pull air from outside of the engine well proper. One is an S-shaped tube that pulls air from the front to the left of the radiator, it's about 1 1/2" x 2" at the inlet. The second inlet is from the left side of the airbox (driver's perspective) that pulls air through a hole through to the space behind the wheel well. It's about 1 1/2" or so. So both inlets pull "fresher" air (especially when the vehicle is moving) and they are both shielded by the airbox. Is it different on the 2000-2002s?

I was actually pretty pleased with the stock design of the airbox when I had it off. Short of a proper cold air intake down behind the front bumper, it seemed like a good compromise. Assuming my estimates are correct, and assuming a 4 1/2" diameter intake tube on a cold air intake system, the stock had about 17 1/4 sq in of intake versus about 22 1/2 sq in on a 4 1/2" intake.

I guess that doesn't mean squat on it's own though without taking the flow rate of the exhaust into consideration.

hmm sweet so i guess it does help huh?? OK good since i will need this by this saturday.. thanks guys, im very happy to be a part of this forum and own a car like LS :L

I ran the ram air intake tube from my lower grill to my KKM filter. There is a temp difference...sounds real nice...+1-3 mpg...POSSIBLY a minor HP increase.

Members online

No members online now.
Back