lincoln ls turbo

I have a turbo car also, they're alot of fun to play with. I still wouldn't mind trying to build a turbo 3.0 LS, but I don't have the money for something of that caliber.

i got spanked in my civic by a turbo omni.. you talk bout a sleeper.. lol

mcafferty said:
but will it ever happen and how much is the question?

I am not the one to say by any means, but the person who is working with the manufacturer to produce a working prototype is on the forums, going by the handle QuikLS.

Is it definately happening? I would say more likely than not.

How much? I think initial 'guesstimates' were around $3500.

Again, I am not involved in either end, just pasing on info to you. Maybe you could do a search on the forums here and find out all kind of good stuff.

Or, if we're all really lucky, maybe QuikLS will hop in this discussion- because I would like an up-to-dater as well.

Yep - spoke to Geoff Knight today - things are moving forward. I should have yet another prototype to test soon. I'll post pics as usual.

yep - he is excited by the v6 and feels the block is strong. He's done some SCing with a lot of Ford v6s already - thinks it will be pretty easy - once the v8 is done ;)

Quik LS said:
yep - he is excited by the v6 and feels the block is strong. He's done some SCing with a lot of Ford v6s already - thinks it will be pretty easy - once the v8 is done ;)

Excellent news! I am certain my LS is still in good enough shape to take it despite the crappie little problems it has had. The car has been running strong as hell since I did the CoP, plugs , VC gskts, pcv and a few other items. I am glad to hear the positive feeling they have about it.

If any of you out there have V6s and feel it is running like :q you really should consider digging in to the engine and replacing the pcv tube and do a tune up while you are there. It has helped my car a great deal. For me to be happy with my car right now says a lot becasue i have put up with a lot of crap with this thing. No offense to the ladies but it has the drive of a 40 something woman since I have tuned it and replaced those parts.

eL eS said:
If any of you out there have V6s and feel it is running like :q you really should consider digging in to the engine and replacing the pcv tube and do a tune up while you are there. It has helped my car a great deal. For me to be happy with my car right now says a lot becasue i have put up with a lot of crap with this thing. No offense to the ladies but it has the drive of a 40 something woman since I have tuned it and replaced those parts.

Where and what is the pvc tube for?

Positive-Crankcase-Ventilation - recirculates (and relieves pressure) from the value covers into the intake. the tube runs under the intake manifold on the v6.

I havent been around the forums in a while... and i was amazed to see that this thread has been brought back up after a year!

I ended up getting that turbo repaired and rather than using it... i purchased a larger turbo that would be more suitable for the ls, i came up with a new game plan, and found a good location for it to be mounted up front... but for this to happen i would have to fab up custom exhaust manifolds that exit to the front of the motor (have steel plates cut from templates of the stock manifolds and make tube headers) and in addition to this i would have to do some pretty crazy plumbing. Other than that, i have all the parts i would need to get it done, i would just need an insane amount of time to make it happen.

However rather than starting on my own car a buddy of mine and i spent a month fabbing a setup for his 03 RSX-S. I put so much time and effort into that car that it made me a little less motivated to work on my own. the RSX however turned out awesome, garrett GT25 ball bearing turbo, hondata ecu, 304 2-1/2 in plumbing, 304 3 in exhaust, RC 650's, SSQV BOV, precision intercooler... turned out great better than the cybernation, rev hard, or greddy kits.... He's running 10psi on the stock k20.... after a TON of time tuning he put down a 12.7 (dont remember the trap) so id say we did a good job on that little four banger.

anyway... i dont see myself doing another "Turbo LS" anytime soon but i have done a few other mods lately.... i did a new exhaust, 2-1/2 in cat back ALL mandrel bend (no crimps) with a pair of oval dynomax mufflers (dont know the exact # off the top of my head) with stainless gibson 3-1/2 tips.... sounds ALOT better than my old flowmaster set up. I also tinted my tails with VHT, lowered the car with sprint springs, Upgraded my kenwood 879 to an 889 (built in g meter is pretty cool), swapped my excellon 6x8's for Diamond audio D6 components (kick a$$ speakers), replaced a bad wheel speed sensor (right rear), And gave my car a good 12 hour detailing on my winter beaten black paint.... (buffed with car brite black pearl 4, then 5. waxed with zymol then car brite weather all. then finished with car brite hand glaze #2...... turned out awesome, no orange peel no swirls, deeper than the day i got it)

ok, sorry for the long post but i guess i had to make up for the lack of posts the past few months... haha oh, and also the ls just hit 60,000 miles old :(

I would love to see a 3.0 kit out, but unfortunatly neither one of these 3.9/3.0 engines are going to like a bunch of boost on a stock motor, as they both have fairly high C/R's. But for those people who wouldn't mind changing pistons/rods either one of these engines could easily produce well over 450whp.

Now if I could just get my self to stop sinking money into the Omni I'd have a v6 LS.....but I need to hit 300+whp out of the 4cyl Omni before I start a new project. (I think I should be about 240whp this spring or so, not far to go..... :)

With the upcoming S/C we are told to expect around a 90hp increase.

370+ ponies ain't too shabby in a car like this. And with the SCT, I am sur ethey will be able to tweak a little more than that!

Oh my...Digging up corpses now aren't we? Seems like it took him an EXTREMELY large amount of work to turbo this LS. I couldn't do that, I do not have that kind of time.

Quik LS said:
yes - 03+ and it is not easier to deal with. less attractive to tuners since the sales of the LS have really dropped off since 02.

but - hope - the many of the 05's are using the CAN and should bring the aftermarket.
not that its bad or nothin just never thought id see the day where quik would have a question bout the LS

Very wild.... would be interesting to get more details if it becomes stable and all...

Bozz

I'm bringing this thread back once again, HOW was the turbo mounted and shielded ? I'm considering playing with this, as I have several turbo installations into non turbo cars under my belt (2 rangers, a mustang, and a non-turbo eclipse)

Yeah I know of STS fairly well. My only real concerns with something like this, I personally just can't see it spooling decently that far away where the exhaust is that much cooler etc.... Also I dont like the idea of pumping my motor oil from the front to the rear and than back to the front of the car. Scares me if a line is damaged and I lose my oil while I'm driving. Not only losing the motor but being stranded isn't fun even if I do hit the key to shut it down in time. Also worried about the heat from the turbo discoloring the bumper, or not having something sturdy enough to mount the turbo to. I'm sure I could fabricate some sort of bracket but I dont want to worrya bout it falling down. Would probably fabricate some sort of airbox for it, just can't see water splashing around there with the filter and all. Or maybe tuck it high up in the bumper. Getting the boost tot he motor is NO biggy at all, neither is the exhaust getting into it either. I've got a mig, buddy has a tig, I do stainless work etc. I'd probably y the exhaust at the cats to a 3" single back into the turbo, than aluminum 2.5 pipe all the way to the engine bay. Would also act as an intercooler with the ambient air. And I have a local personal dyno tuner, and all I would need is an xcal. Basically oil and mounting are my worries.

Unless I make some sort of turbo dedicated oil system, maybe near the turbo, 2 quart tank, possibly, good oil and a mild pump. But I climbed under and dont see much room unless I put the whole shebang inside where the spare tire is and just leave the turbo under the car.

I'm hearing some incredible things with twin turbos at the back of the new Mustang GT. They must have figured out the oiling problems.

think with our compression we'd be running quite low boost. I'd have to imagine that a very small turbo would be able to spool VERY quickly. I know from my talon days we could get smaller turbos to spool more quickly. I don't understand your point about being cold back there slowing down spool times. Remember the colder you can keep everything the better. If the exhaust happens to be cooler in the rear of the car that would be a plus IMO. That helps keep the turbo cooler which helps keep the charge cooler...etc. etc.

beaups said:
think with our compression we'd be running quite low boost. I'd have to imagine that a very small turbo would be able to spool VERY quickly. I know from my talon days we could get smaller turbos to spool more quickly. I don't understand your point about being cold back there slowing down spool times. Remember the colder you can keep everything the better. If the exhaust happens to be cooler in the rear of the car that would be a plus IMO. That helps keep the turbo cooler which helps keep the charge cooler...etc. etc.

The cooler exhaust doesnt have the same energy to spin the turbine that it did back up at the motor. Air at 1000 degrees will do more work than air at 250 degrees, those are just guesstimate numbers with no real meaning just giving an example.

hey cruzn I'm certainly no expert here so just speculating. However that doesn't make too much sense to me. Cooler air is nearly always denser which would indicate to me that it could spin the turbine more efficiently. I would think also that there would be an advantage to having the turbo so close to the exhaust outlet. STS even mentions something about that being good because of the pressure differential. Anyhow, just some thoughts.

heat is energy, especially true with turbos, you lose so much heat on the way to the turbo, it's not about air as in volumetric, which would be true about cooler denser air, it's the energy in the air that your losing

Members online

No members online now.
Back