Lincoln ls V6 Questions

CJones16

LVC Member
Reaction score
Sorry if some of these questions have been answered, i did my best to find most the answers

-Thinking about getting an Ls but not sure about which engine, the v6 is an ancient engine that should have some good performance upgrades out there, but v8 makes more hp, and would be sweeter to have the v8, but heard theres alot of electrical problems.

1. how slow is the v6, in 2003 it got HP upgrade to 252hp, plus it wieghs less than the v8

2. Does the v6 have forgered internals? if so how come no turbo's being done?

also was talking to a ford guy who worked on the LS before it came out and he was saying the original plan was to put a 4.6l engine in it, has anyone put a bigger motor in it?

Thanks
Chris

also has anyone done any intake work? such as cleaning off the cast marks and polishing?

if so post a pic..

Chris

Don't know the answers to your first questions but as far as the others, from what I heard there was a local guy around here that put an 03' cobra motor in his. Right before he was finished he sold it to some dude in Florida. I'd love to have seen the finished product.

actualy just found a pic

engine_200wide.jpg

car_200wide.jpg

right on fords website
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=17650

ls v6

hey, i got a 03 ls v6. it's nice, nothing spectacular if you're looking for power, but it does have a nice pick up for a 6. ls v6 originally came w/232hp not 252, that was the pre-2003 v8's. as for aftermarket, unfortunately there is not much you can do for the v6. the v8 has a few, but not a lot. there is some guy that i've seen posts of his recently; he is from missouri or illinois and has a v6 that is supposingly puttin a lot of time/effort/& $ into a v6 gettin it to run under 13 or 14's if i remember correctly. i wish i had gotten the v8, but i do get a bit more mpg (25 city/hwy combo, 425 a tank). if you don't mind fuel costs go w/the 8, but if you don't care go w/the 6. hope this helps in your decision... :cool:

The '00-'02 V6 has 210hp and 205ftlb torque. The V8s had 252hp and 260ftlb torque. That LS with the Cobra engine is in the One Lap of America LS. They got it to fit, but very little of the cars electronics (air, speedometer, door locks, radio, fuel gauge, etc) worked to to computer compatibility issues. I guarantee that if the Lincoln engineers couldn't make it work, we won't either. In 2003 the V6 got a boost to 232 and 220ftlb torque due to VVT. The V8 also got a boost for the same reason, 280hp and 289ftlb.

There isn't a mass produced (probably never will be) turbo or SC (yet) mainly due to the low production number of LSes, something like less than 300K. The other reason is the high compression, 10.5:1 on the V6 and 10.75:1 on the V8. The transmission and rear can also only handle so much power.

The Ford guy was probably right. There were also plans for a V8 manual and a "baby" Lincoln. The T-Bird was the two seat variant.

There is only about 100lb difference in weight between the V6 and the V8; all in the engine. I have both and the fuel economy is within 1mpg. Not worth the power penalty to purchase the V6, IMHO.

If you're looking for a sporty luxury sedan, the LS is a great purchase. If you're looking for a car to do lots of engine upgrades, get a Mustang.

I have the V6 and wish I would have gotten the V8.

When I drove them the difference was night and day. At the time I got the 6 for fuel economy then later learned there was VERY little difference.

Same here. I had a 00 V6, then traded to a 02 V8 for the power and once I drove the 04 V8 I had to trade again for the additional power.

V8 hands down

I can't even imagine the smile(Life long erection too!) that would come with a 4.6 in these cars....Scary thought.
But still , everyone's on the right path , V8 Hands down.
The rule of thumb here is, after 300 horse , you're on your own.(If you want to drive it)
PS--I think our 8's are 10.5 -1 tho. Not 10.75-1.(splitting hairs...)

hey, i got a 03 ls v6. it's nice, nothing spectacular if you're looking for power, but it does have a nice pick up for a 6. ls v6 originally came w/232hp not 252, that was the pre-2003 v8's. as for aftermarket, unfortunately there is not much you can do for the v6. the v8 has a few, but not a lot. there is some guy that i've seen posts of his recently; he is from missouri or illinois and has a v6 that is supposingly puttin a lot of time/effort/& $ into a v6 gettin it to run under 13 or 14's if i remember correctly. i wish i had gotten the v8, but i do get a bit more mpg (25 city/hwy combo, 425 a tank). if you don't mind fuel costs go w/the 8, but if you don't care go w/the 6. hope this helps in your decision... :cool:

Let me say that fuel efficiency is more dependant on driving habits, with this car especially. I have an 04 v6 with the KKM intake filter as my only mod. I typically get 17-19 city and 22-25 highway miles per gallon. I have only topped the 400 mi/tank mark once (all highway obvioulsy).
When I first purchased the car I did get better gas mileage... then I got used to the car and I must say I do push it to the redline sometimes.
A short time ago I had the opportunity to drive an '06 (v8 of course). The difference in power is substantial! But if I were to have that power I would use it, and fuel efficiency would be out the window.

Bottom line, get the v8. More power, more options, better investment.

I can't even imagine the smile(Life long erection too!) that would come with a 4.6 in these cars....Scary thought.
But still , everyone's on the right path , V8 Hands down.
The rule of thumb here is, after 300 horse , you're on your own.(If you want to drive it)
PS--I think our 8's are 10.5 -1 tho. Not 10.75-1.(splitting hairs...)

Depends on the year; Compression changed along with the VVT in the 03 up engines

alright guys if you could have an option, which would you choose

A) v6 LS that is single or twin turboed, with a 5 speed (was offered)

B) v8 LS stock cold air, tune, nitrous (mainly wat currently avilible)

also do both v6 and v8 have electrical problems?

Chris

alright guys if you could have an option, which would you choose

A) v6 LS that is single or twin turboed, with a 5 speed (was offered)

B) v8 LS stock cold air, tune, nitrous (mainly wat currently avilible)

also do both v6 and v8 have electrical problems?

Chris

a) By whom? Certainly not Lincoln.

What do you mean by electrical problems?

Well got a friend whos pretty could with understanding turbos, so hoping if i get the v6 i would try turbo it.

well ive had couple friend whove just had electrical problems, then i also read that ull be driving and the windows will go down and stuff will turn on lol

Chris

well ive had couple friend whove just had electrical problems, then i also read that ull be driving and the windows will go down and stuff will turn on lol

Chris
Maybe the car was built on an indian burial ground :D

the v6 does have forged internals and with a good tune the non vvt motor will make as much power as the vvt with a tune. the vvt gets better mileage obviously but id rather have the one i have.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=30429 check this out im almost done with my v6 5speed project heres some pics of the head work and intake /exhaust work. looking for close to 275 rear wheel horse all motor plus the 125 shot of juice hopefully motor will be in by this sunday.

Not for nothing but what have you done to think your gonna get 275 at the wheels all motor with a V6?. The post you reference shows you taking a dremel to your ports. I dont think thats good for 275 hp?

Go get em' Fla02LS

Not for nothing but what have you done to think your gonna get 275 at the wheels all motor with a V6?. The post you reference shows you taking a dremel to your ports. I dont think thats good for 275 hp?

I was thinkin the same thing......

The Getrag won't handle that kind of hp/tq. That's why it wasn't in the V8......

how do you think head porting is done. its done by hand with rotory tools and long hours.and anyway there was no dremel used ever. 13 hours and over 300 dollars in material have gone into these heads. the tranny does suck ive already killed one, and a flywheel and two clutches. thats why im borrowing parts from bmws, 05 mustangs and others. dont hate onme because im doing something most ls owners dont have the balls to do. im willing to try new things. if they work cool if they dont well ill learn how not to do things. with the ls there no REAL performance mods other than n2o so everything is pretty much an experiment. im not going to sell this beautiful car so all i can do is try to make it do what i want. everybody on this forum badmouths people who step outside the box instead of being a true enthusiast and just encouraging research and development.i dont see anyone bashing quik for what hes doing, nobody tells him hes wrong. my car was faster than his before(and im not discounting his style or inguniuty at all because he is a pioneer). im done with this lame ass forum.keep putting lse ,svt or whatever little emblems and gay crap on your cars. everyone on here has the same list of mods. and none of them are worth dick. youll read about mine(and quiks) in a magazine!

Members online

No members online now.
Back