little question for all the LS pro's out there

1sickLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, just joined yesterday, and purchased the LS a couple weeks ago. I took somewhat of a big risk when i bought the car, i found a 2002 v8 ls sport, black on black, high miles (85K), i know i know, BUT they are all highway miles cuz the guy is in sales, the interior and exterior are in perfect cond., i got it for 12k. My stupid move was not doing any kind of thorough check on the engine, mainly because the guy was 2 damn hours away. But after 2 weeks of driving i see no signs of anything to be worried about. And after reading some posts on here i learned the 2002 is one of the most mechanically sound years for the LS. SOOOO i would like to know some of your guys opinions on the buy and if it was foolish or not, b/c when i first saw it i thought it was an unbelievable deal, but now not so sure, thanx.

IMHO 10,000 city miles does more damage than 30,000 highway miles. Especially if the prior owner did alot of it with the CC on. As long as maintenance was kept up with you shouldn't see a whole lot of problems.

1sickLS said:
hey everyone, just joined yesterday, and purchased the LS a couple weeks ago. I took somewhat of a big risk when i bought the car, i found a 2002 v8 ls sport, black on black, high miles (85K), i know i know, BUT they are all highway miles cuz the guy is in sales, the interior and exterior are in perfect cond., i got it for 12k. My stupid move was not doing any kind of thorough check on the engine, mainly because the guy was 2 damn hours away. But after 2 weeks of driving i see no signs of anything to be worried about. And after reading some posts on here i learned the 2002 is one of the most mechanically sound years for the LS. SOOOO i would like to know some of your guys opinions on the buy and if it was foolish or not, b/c when i first saw it i thought it was an unbelievable deal, but now not so sure, thanx.

you said they are all highway miles cuz THE GUY IS A SALESMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats one of the funniest things i've heard in a LONG TIME!!! :invasion:

he is a salesmanm, which menas he is a good liar!!! get it!!

you know how easy it is to say "these are all highway miles" :slam
it IS possible, but anyways... thats a decent deal....

call ford customer service, find out whats been done to it.... 800-392-3673
and they could tell you if it has a salvaged title or whatnot..

congrats on the new buy~ :W

I have a 2001 LS with 73K miles on it. I haven't had any major problems with my car other than a cold hard starting problem. That problem got fixed and everything else is solid. "knock on wood" A 2002 with 85K is a bit excessive BUT as long as it was well maintained you shouldn't have any major problems. If you got an Owner's Manual with the car there is a maintenance log in the back of one of them. Check it out regarding maintenance intervals and don't go longer than what is recommended. Lincoln recommends 5,000 mile intervals but some folks do 3,000. At 85K, I'd personally check the shocks, brakes, filters and those sorts of things to make sure they have been replaced.

The LS is a solid car and you'll get some good useful life out of it. Congrats!

FreeFaller said:
IMHO 10,000 city miles does more damage than 30,000 highway miles. Especially if the prior owner did alot of it with the CC on. As long as maintenance was kept up with you shouldn't see a whole lot of problems.

cool, but IMHO, whats that stand for, and the USAF ls8.....does the USAF stand for united states air force??

Very true about salesmen...but unless that thing had a Dominoes pizza sign on the roof for three years he would have to have driven that thing non stop to get 80k city miles...but good call on getting in touch with customer service

FreeFaller said:
Very true about salesmen...but unless that thing had a Dominoes pizza sign on the roof for three years he would have to have driven that thing non stop to get 80k city miles...but good call on getting in touch with customer service

yeah, i figured that, i just thought that was hilarious. "he works in sales, so its probably true" :Beer

I have an 02 LS8 and it has 61000 miles on it and it runs fine I did my research on the car before I purchased it it only had one owner and the person who had it before me kept in good condition thank God!! :L :L

luckieleo said:
you said they are all highway miles cuz THE GUY IS A SALESMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats one of the funniest things i've heard in a LONG TIME!!! :invasion:

he is a salesmanm, which menas he is a good liar!!! get it!!

you know how easy it is to say "these are all highway miles" :slam
it IS possible, but anyways... thats a decent deal....

call ford customer service, find out whats been done to it.... 800-392-3673
and they could tell you if it has a salvaged title or whatnot..

congrats on the new buy~ :W

very true luck...but i dont know many ppl that can put 80 000 miles on a two year old car w/o being on the highway a lot, but that was the risk i was talkin about cuz you never know.

1sickLS said:
AIR POWERRRR! lol, ill stop there before i get flashbacks of basic. haha

Yeah, I never said that...it just sounded waaay to gay...

So are you currently AD, GD, RS or what?

1sickLS said:
very true luck...but i dont know many ppl that can put 80 000 miles on a two year old car w/o being on the highway a lot, but that was the risk i was talkin about cuz you never know.

yeah, i know. i believe that, i was just givin ya a hard time!! :)

but i put 45,000 miles on it in 2 years. :steering
its never been across the country, but its been to N.Webster, IN to visit the in-laws... its been to Wisconsin Dells, but mostly around town.

this is what i drive regularly:
Schaumburg to elk grove every day for work(4miles 1 way)
schaumburg to Elgin for school 3 days/wk (15 miles 1 way)
Schaumburg to Alsip 2 days/wk (40 miles)

and teh rest is misc... tell me how the hell i put 45k miles on in 2 years!!!!

FreeFaller said:
Yeah, I never said that...it just sounded waaay to gay...

So are you currently AD, GD, RS or what?

I'm guard, actually workin as we speak, LOL, just got back from tech school and basic about a month ago, doin OJT (on-the-job-training) for now, it sux. What about you? And yes, it is waaay to gay.

1sickLS said:
I'm guard, actually workin as we speak, LOL, just got back from tech school and basic about a month ago, doin OJT (on-the-job-training) for now, it sux. What about you? And yes, it is waaay to gay.

Ooops...don't get caught :Beer Just tell people that you're discussing issues with HQ AMC... I'm at Scott (trying to do an EPR actually), and BT and Tech were way back in '96 so we didn't have that air power yell...just the ol' hoo rah.

Hey I'm in sales. I put 26,000 miles on my truck in 11 months!!! Not all highway either!! In the past four years, I've consistantly put over 25,000 on every car I've driven. Until this year, almost ALL miles were city!! My poor ES300

First time (almost) owner here... I pick my new baby up tomorrow...

2001 LS
26,000mi

woohoo!!

Lance1111 said:
First time (almost) owner here... I pick my new baby up tomorrow...

2001 LS
26,000mi

woohoo!!

befoer you sign on all the dotted lines, call ford customer service with the vin#!!!!
sounds too good to be true... maybe its not, but its worth a double check, so see if the title has been salvaged or flood damaged, etc...

800-392-3673

V6 but compared to what I have been driving it will seem like a V10 to me :)

It's from a family friend so I know it's all on the up and up but appreciate your concern... maybe I will post some pics this weekend.

Lance1111 said:
V6 but compared to what I have been driving it will seem like a V10 to me :)

It's from a family friend so I know it's all on the up and up but appreciate your concern... maybe I will post some pics this weekend.

Kool looking forward to seeing them!! Enjoy the car its a fun car to drive!!

Members online

Back