LMS CHIP Problems?? Need help quick!

fonzieguy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I have a 94 Mark VIII and received my LMS chip today. I followed the directions exactly and installed it. Drove to the bank, seemed ok, on the way home from the bank I try to give it some gas and .... nothin....
whenever I give it more than maybe 33 percent throttle the engine kinda starts clunkin and I go nowhere. I uninstall the chip and make sure i have the connectors clean and try again. Same thing. So i take the chip out and try driving around the block. And still, I'm having the same problems. In fact if I keep driving its like the engines getting "clogged"? It gets to the point where you have it floored and move maybe a couple of inches and the only way to pull over is to keep randomly hitting the accelerator until those inches get you far enough into a neighborhood. I called up Geno and he said maybe I had bent a pin from the wiring that plugs into the ecu, checked that and nope..
Anyone else have any ideas? The cars been running fine lately, um last week I added a little coolant because it said I was low. Thats about it.
Is there something else I could have hit while I installed it? I don't see anything else near there..

You disconnected the battery when installing and removing, right?

Yeah, It didn't say it in the instructions but I didn't feel safe leaving it connected.

Good. Then is may just be coincidence. A chip should never go in a car that is not up to par though. Premium fuel? Fuel filter?Air filter? Plugs? Etc....

Premium, new air filter, haven't done plugs or fuel filter yet.
But that wouldn't explain why it still does it when i take the chip out?
Whaddya mean by coincidence?

that means it's not a problem with the chip itself.

need to get the car working correctly before putting a chip on it.

Sounds like a coincidence and exactly what happened to me with my old 87 LSC. The sock for the fuel pump fell off, which would clog the pump and make the car not go anywhere no matter how much pedal you gave it. If you let the car sit for a few minutes and went to restart it, it would be ok for 5 minutes or so.

Check your fuel pressure to start off with and check for any trouble codes, as well.

Last edited:
Dude that sounds like exactly what happens, its drivable for 5 mins or so but at no point, even after letting it sit, can i floor it without it clunking and acting like its dead.

Where can I get one of these that works with the mark, I can't seem to find one at advance or autozone?

It's a standard ford schrader valve - they should have a gauge that will work for you. If not harbor freight tools has one for $10

My 93 has better performance but less mpg. After looking around and asking questions my problem seems to be the 02s. Do you get a check engine light? Mine studders occasionally on accel, I'm going to pick up that fuel pressure gauge at the brand new Harbor Freight that opened around here, but I'm scared.....scared I may spend more than I plan there!

i had the same problem drove it to church, got back in the car could barley keep it running, come to find out a stem from a leaf snuck past the conical air filter and got lodged on the MAF wires

i had the same problem drove it to church, got back in the car could barley keep it running, come to find out a stem from a leaf snuck past the conical air filter and got lodged on the MAF wires

?!?!?! That should not even be possible!

Out of curiosity how hard is it to replace the fuel pump? And whats the best one to get?
I've searched and read lots of different opinions from walbro 255, to a focus fuel pump?

Also can anyone tell me or have a picture showing me how to use this fuel pressure gauge?!?

I may be wrong but it looks like the gauge (once you find the right tip, because it looks like theres a few diff ones) just goes on like a tire valve stem. Based on what I've read you want to have around 40 psi under full load. You could probably test it with the throttle cable under the hood yourself. Many people find a way to get an extension or tape it to the windshield and drive around to get a more accuarate reading

Grr, you think its worth keeping for the vacuum leak test?
What do you hook it to for that?

Premium, new air filter, haven't done plugs or fuel filter yet.
Whaddya mean by coincidence?

my car acted like that when i first got it. i couldn't go past 3000 rpms with out it startin to chug and run rough and horrible. so i assessed situation and figured."what would make an engine do that?" its either a.) missin (needs new plugs or wires) b.) not gettin enough fuel (thus still missin in sum cylinders) or c.) for sum damn unknown reason it has a head gasket leak and is sucking coolant into my moter each time i give it gas.

i ended up just buying a 15$ fuel filter at advanced auto and she could burn rubber for 500ft. :)....run like a top.

even though i dont have the chip yet, this seems to be ur problem

Members online

Back