Looking for Winter Tires-Option

LQ1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So since this LS will be a daily driver and my main driver once I get her up and running, Chicago winters are brutal and we're already forecasted to have a cold and snowy winter. Having had a 2007 Cadillac CTS with just traction control and almost killing myself on several occasions because of the fish tail and spin outs with RWD I want to be prepared. I'm looking for some 17'' winter tires but like most of us on a budget so if anyone has any for sale in the Chicagoland area shoot me a PM.

Im looking on Craigslist and I see alot of ppl are selling their winter tires and there are some good deals to be had. I have two questions though I hope to get answered:

1) Will any 17'' tire fit on my OEM 03 LS v8 sport rim? I.E. 225/55/17 vs 205/35/17 etc

2) If I buy the wheels with tires on them as a set would I only be able to get 5x108 (I think that's the LS size)?....I see rims and tire combos that came off a BMW but the pattern is 5x120??? So that's a automatic no go or is there a retrofit kit??? If so how expensive and/or difficult to install or have a tireshop do it?

Thanks for any help needed. I always got confused when ppl started talking offset, and bolt pattern etc. Thats why I never bought aftermarket rims for any of my cars because I didn't understand it. ;)

Lincoln LS 6.jpg
Lincoln LS 7.jpg

Lincoln LS 6.jpg

Lincoln LS 7.jpg

Will any 17'' tire fit on my OEM 03 LS v8 sport rim?

no, there are different widths that may require wider wheels to fit, not saying that you have to go with the exact same size tire, as there is a decent range that will fit each wheel, but you dont want to get to far away from ideal...

also, ProTip: add a few hundred Lbs of extra weight into the trunk just over or just in front of the rear wheels.

...also, ProTip: add a few hundred Lbs of extra weight into the trunk just over or just in front of the rear wheels.

Wouldn't just in front of the rear wheels be the passenger seat, not the trunk?

I picked up a set of 17 x 7.5" Jaguar S-type 10-spoke rims (same size and offset as the LS and retro Thunderbird rims) to use with the minus zero size narrower 215/55-17 (same diameter as the stock size 235/50-17 tires) Michelin X-ice iX3 tires on my LS. I got them at BJ's with a $70 rebate at the time. I think that Michelin may have a similar deal going right now. I have used them for the last three winters and just installed them again last weekend (tread depth now at 8-9/32"). I have never had a problem with them or the car yet, including through the brutal winter of 2013-14.

LS with S-type rims (640x314).jpg

LS with S-type rims (640x314).jpg

I have run perhaps 4 or 5 winter configurations on my LS. One thing to be aware of is that the weight distribution of the LS is so close to 50/50 f/r , you don't get much pressure from each wheel to the ground. Going as narrow as possible is the way to go to gain any advantage on traction in snow. I had pretty bad luck with 225s and I think I have come down to 215s now. I wouldn't go any more narrow than those. That said, the last set of snows that I bought have been the best I ever put on the car, and they are fairly cheap, too. Have a look at the General Altimax Arctic. They are studdable too, if you want to go extreme traction on ice or snow. I got my LS all set up for optimal winter performance with tires (it's still not really great but it's the best I have had it since 2001), then I noticed rotting pinch seams under the doors and decided to keep it garaged for the winter. I now have a 2007 Subaru WRX that is ironically running the Altimax Arctics as well. I bought mine from Walmart online, ship to store (free shipping) and brought my rims there for mounting them, drove away and put them on the car myself, and have been very happy. Now I have great traction as well on the AWD Subie.

I'll be in Chicago next week if you want to meet up somewhere after work. Working in Franklin Park and staying near Rosemont. My hotel I stay at has a Bar Louie which would be a good place to chill and talk LS.

Wouldn't just in front of the rear wheels be the passenger seat, not the trunk?

if the seats were folded down, I guess the item of weight could still be mostly in the trunk...

For my wife's 2001 LS V8 I did a full minus size and went down to the 16 inch wheel / tire size from the non Sport models. It's a 215/60R16 tire on a 16x7 inch wheel. They are a decent set of alloys very reasonably priced from Tire Rack and the tires are Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's. This is my 5th set of Blizzaks I've had for as many vehicles and these tires have NEVER let me down. You can't beat them for winter driving.
3cf83e584d0a4c6750623e1d52807dc7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my wife's 2001 LS V8 I did a full minus size and went down to the 16 inch wheel / tire size from the non Sport models. It's a 215/60R16 tire on a 16x7 inch wheel. They are a decent set of alloys very reasonably priced from Tire Rack and the tires are Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's. This is my 5th set of Blizzaks I've had for as many vehicles and these tires have NEVER let me down. You can't beat them for winter driving.
3cf83e584d0a4c6750623e1d52807dc7.jpg

I should also mention that you do not need to add ballast in the trunk with these. The car's natural near 50/50 distribution is about as ideal of a scenario as you are going to get when you consider the biggest concern when driving on snow and ice is stopping.

I've never used ballast. I've run 215/60-16 snow tires on Jaguar rims every winter since 2003. With good snows I sometimes have a problem starting from a dead stop but other than that it goes just fine. I travel to Vermont every other weekend during the winter to ski. The last 10 miles is a winding hilly road with a 13% up grade in the last push over the top. I've made it up this when its been covered in 6 inches of unplowed snow. Good fresh snow tires will beat awd and all seasons every time.

The only reason I did not do the full minus one size setup with 16" rims is the 320mm Jaguar S-tyoe Sport front brake upgrade - I had to stick with 17" rims.

It's so ironic that I was talking about snow tires. I had a blow out this weekend that almost killed your boy!!! I was travelling on the I-290 expressway when I heard a noise and didn't pay much attention at first then the steering wheel yanked and was real loose. Smelled burning rubber and saw sparks. Pulled over as soon as I could right off the exit. Tire was shredded to pieces and rim might be damaged as well. I'm wondering are all the tires dry rotted??? Who knows before I bought the car how long tires have been on the car. Tread looked really good but seeing that car hasn't been driven much according to Car Fax....less than 20,000 miles in 6 years...could have been on the car at least that long. Question now that I'm pondering is do I get snow tires that are only good til March/April or should I invest in All season treads....can't afford both.

Also meant to say that couldn't get one of the bolts off as it was stripped so need to buy another and car had a full sized spare in trunk that I put on but now car is wobbly....not sure why? Is it because of the missing bolt/lug nut?

If you have four of five lug nuts seated and tight there shouldn't be any wobble. As far as strength is concerned, many cars come from the factory with a four-stud pattern. Do get the stud replaced as soon as you can but there's no need for panic if it takes a while to get it done.

With 17" wheels the side wall on the tire is short enough that it's easy to not notice that you've lost some air. Running partially inflated will damage the side wall on the inside and the result will be the sort of blowout you have described. Check all your tires and keep a good pressure gauge handy in your car.

KS

It's so ironic that I was talking about snow tires. I had a blow out this weekend that almost killed your boy!!! I was travelling on the I-290 expressway when I heard a noise and didn't pay much attention at first then the steering wheel yanked and was real loose. Smelled burning rubber and saw sparks. Pulled over as soon as I could right off the exit. Tire was shredded to pieces and rim might be damaged as well. I'm wondering are all the tires dry rotted??? Who knows before I bought the car how long tires have been on the car. Tread looked really good but seeing that car hasn't been driven much according to Car Fax....less than 20,000 miles in 6 years...could have been on the car at least that long. Question now that I'm pondering is do I get snow tires that are only good til March/April or should I invest in All season treads....can't afford both.

Winter tires hold up surprisingly well even in summer. They're really not out of their element in late fall and early spring either. All depends where you are, how much cold and snow/ice you get and if you MUST travel in those conditions. But you'll give up handling performance when its warm and dry.

I prefer Continentals

I have run perhaps 4 or 5 winter configurations on my LS. One thing to be aware of is that the weight distribution of the LS is so close to 50/50 f/r , you don't get much pressure from each wheel to the ground. Going as narrow as possible is the way to go to gain any advantage on traction in snow. I had pretty bad luck with 225s and I think I have come down to 215s now. I wouldn't go any more narrow than those.

I went with a 225 55 17 but since I'm lowered, they rub the fender plastic every once in a great while. The 55 series was significantly cheaper than the 50.

Members online

Back