Looking to buy this 1997 VIII. I need opinions and a question?

robmerrill

LVC Member
Reaction score
Car is 1997 VII with 100K miles, coil spring convertion, excellent paint, nice interior (alittle dirty and driver seat is cracking), clean rust free underneath and engine/trans seem good. Engine bay is clean but there is a little oil under the oil pan.

No sunroof, the steering wheel shakes alittle over 55mpm and this box thing underneath the gas tank near back of bumper is rusted out? What is it and can it be replaced? Drivers seat is broken and outside passenger side door handle is broken.

I can pick it up for $1,700.

DSC04244.jpg

DSC04245.jpg

DSC04246.jpg

DSC04250.jpg

DSC04253.jpg

DSC04254.jpg

DSC04260.jpg

DSC04261.jpg

DSC04262.jpg

DSC04265.jpg

I see the lenses are shot to hell so I would check the head lights. Also check the blend door and tail lights. Other then that I would def buy it for 1700. My friend just got an identical car (same year/options/color) for $1700 and he still has to deal with a shot air ride.

That car sounds like a deal to me. Should you get it can I have the alt cover? :D

What is this thing??????????? And why is it rusted?

What is this thing??????????? And why is it rusted?

DSC04275.jpg

DSC04276.jpg

i would most definitly you will not be disappionted .... are you willing to put the time into fixing the misc parts that it needs? and wheres the car located

send a pm to jamie97lsc he should tell u exactly what that part is

I see the lenses are shot to hell so I would check the head lights. Also check the blend door and tail lights. Other then that I would def buy it for 1700. My friend just got an identical car (same year/options/color) for $1700 and he still has to deal with a shot air ride.

That car sounds like a deal to me. Should you get it can I have the alt cover? :D

Both headlight works (low/high). Blend door is stuck (heat/ac work when they want to work). Tail light work fine.

i would most definitly you will not be disappionted .... are you willing to put the time into fixing the misc parts that it needs? and wheres the car located

Yes I can do the work myself. Car is located locally in NY.

I wouldnt buy it.
Air ride is gone.
Blend door need fixing.
Headlights need work.
Int. looks like it needs work.

Plus I hate that color combo and its a base model.
Not to even mention the rust and the leaking oil pan.
I believe the part over the gas tank is the e-vap tray?
Clicky

Not a penny over $900 would I pay.

That is cheap, the Mark vii here sell for 2-3k. U can part it out and make more money. I would buy it for $1500 cash.

Yes I can do the work myself. Car is located locally in NY.

If you are comfortable doing the work yourself, and the driveline is in good condition, then go for it. Negotiate, but the stuff you'll have to fix is not terribly expensive unless you're paying someone else to do the work.

That's an evaporator tray that's rusted in the back, they aren't made anymore and it's common for them to go on NE cars. Jamie has one for sale for $90 that's slightly better then yours, so you can pick that up immediately.

Blend door is a $40 part and a 6 hour job. Easy to do, detailed instructions are available. You'll be pulling off most of the dash, so it's a great time to really clean up the interior. ;)

I wouldnt buy it.
Air ride is gone.
Blend door need fixing.
Headlights need work.
Int. looks like it needs work.

Plus I hate that color combo and its a base model.
Not to even mention the rust and the leaking oil pan.
I believe the part over the gas tank is the e-vap tray?
Clicky

Not a penny over $900 would I pay.

+1 to this. I would go $1200 though, seeing as the headlight bulbs still actually light up. Refinishing the lenses is easy enough, and interior looks ok.

there right go with 950 cash in hand and that car is your gaurantee

No sunroof, the steering wheel shakes alittle over 55mpm and this box thing underneath the gas tank near back of bumper is rusted out? What is it and can it be replaced? Drivers seat is broken and outside passenger side door handle is broken.

No sunroof would suck... I forgot about the steering.

I bet the whole front end needs to be rebuilt.
Put it up on jackstands.
Look for slop.
Check strut rod bushings,LCA, and the top arm ...I bet it all needs to be replaced ....thats about $500 in parts alone.
The door handle can be bought for cheap but its no treat to change either.

While I do appreciate all of your comments, you guys are changing my mind about this car.

I have seen a few others 93-98 that needed paint, need airbags and had ripped interior and over 120K miles that wanted $2.5K. Here on Long Island, NY. I guess people want alittle more for their cars. The person was asking $2K and asking what was their bottom line and they said $1.7k which I thought was fair.

The paint, which to me is very important becuase I can't do paint/body work, is in excellent condition and I am very picky. The interior is dirty but I think I can make it cleaner, not brand new, but cleaner. I am a realistic person and I know that when I buy a 12 year old that I did not own from brand new that it is not going to be perfect and to buy a car for $900, $1,000 or $1,200 in NY they are going to be a parts car or a car that need alot of work.

This will be a 3rd car for me, just when I want to take a nice ride. I liked the body style, the engine, the luxury interior and it was good value (under $2K).

This car would be change for me. I am 37 years old and a child of the 80's so must of my toys have been, 1977 TA, 1980 TA, 1982 CE Corvette, 1984 TA, 1987 Z28, 1987Mustang, 1989 TTA, 1991 TA and 1991 Capri.

Please kept your comments coming because I do appreciate them.

Rob

Door handles are somewhat easy IF you follow the right procedure, headlights are easier. The interior isn't that bad, just needs a bit of help and elbow grease. Evap tray is an easy fix. Oil pan leak will be labor intensive along with blend door. Like kstills said, it's not an expensive one fix, just a few small ones, if you can/will do the work. +1 on checking the suspension on the front, but need to check the rear as well. At $1700, I'd buy it right now :)

dont look too bad, +100 check the front susp. wheel shake could be something as simple as tire balance

dont look too bad, +100 check the front susp. wheel shake could be something as simple as tire balance

I agree it might even be rotors if it gets worse while you brake.
You don't know until you take a close look at it.

Rob, I don't mean to turn you off on the car just keep in mind what all this stuff costs to fix.

Sometimes it pays to keep looking and spend more, with what this car needs you might be spending the money you think your saving to get it up to were it should be.

But I know It can be hard to find a clean Mark when you live in the rust belt.

Unity I was a former MarkVIII owner and by this Saturday im bringing home another MarkVIII that I just purchased. 97 Cordovan fully loaded base.

Well I took another look at the car last night and took a very, very long test drive. It was definity a nice ride. I pushed the car very hard and it held up its own. It accerated very fast and straight and braked very well and straight. The body/paint had no rust and no sun damage, its almost perfect for a 12 year old car. The interior is still dirty but the leather is soft and it can be cleaned.

I looked over the front suspension and I could not find anything loose or any bushing that needed to be replace. I had the onwer turn the wheel side to side to take a better look and to listen for noises and nothing seems wrong. I need however notice that the rims didn't have any weights on them (inside or outside) and the owner stated that they were never balanced. The tire pressure was low so he filled all 4 tires up and it made a little difference. The steering did not shake as much but it was more like a slight vibration above 55mph but smoothing out above 70-80mph. And no vibration/pulling during braking. I do think that a wheel balance of all 4 rims will help stop the vibration. And he also has the original flat finish rim/tires that he is going to give with the car, so if anyone needs or wants them please let me know.

The guy is super nice, and I know they all are, but I am usally a good read on people. He has showed me the car 3 times and is willing to answer all my questions and knows everything about the car. He has all the receipts for any parts/work done, even his original bill of sale. He spend over $400 just on the chrome rims alone.

He is definity loves the car and wants it to go to someone who appreciates the car. Its a nice situation and a nice way to buy a car instead of just seeing a car once and lowballing someone.

Yes I would like to get it for $1K, $1.2K or even $1.5k and I am sure that the owner would love to get $2.5k or $2K but they always say that " the best deals are when neither the seller or the buyer walk away thinking that got the best deal".

That being said I will pick up the car this Friday or Monday. Thanks for your time and I look foward to being any active member of this forum.

Rob

Members online

Back