Low End Power

tminard18

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 lincoln ls , manual. so its v6. once i hit around 2500-3000 rpm the power really kicks in , but before that theres nothing. do they make aftermarket headers or anything else the would help to increase low end power.

thanks in advance

If you add an aftermarket 2 1/2 inch exhaust and open up your intake you'll get more on the low end as well as throughout the power band. I think the stock exhaust on the '00-'02 MTx is about 1 3/4 inches, like trying to blow up a blimp through a straw. The V6 intake manifold has a two stage intake- a secondary throttle plate in the intake that opens up at about 3000 rpm's to let the engine breath more air. It's referred to as a "variable length intake manifold" which essentially makes the air take a longer path to the combustion chamber at low rpm's to keep the velocity of the moving air up to mix well with the fuel as it is injected. At higher rpm's more air is allowed in to keep up with the increased demand from the combustion chamber.

402777LS said:
If you add an aftermarket 2 1/2 inch exhaust and open up your intake you'll get more on the low end as well as throughout the power band. I think the stock exhaust on the '00-'02 MTx is about 1 3/4 inches, like trying to blow up a blimp through a straw. The V6 intake manifold has a two stage intake- a secondary throttle plate in the intake that opens up at about 3000 rpm's to let the engine breath more air. It's referred to as a "variable length intake manifold" which essentially makes the air take a longer path to the combustion chamber at low rpm's to keep the velocity of the moving air up to mix well with the fuel as it is injected. At higher rpm's more air is allowed in to keep up with the increased demand from the combustion chamber.

I'm going to disagree with the larger exhaust building low end power. In almost every case, it's the opposite.

If indeed your car has the variable intake system described above, (I didn't know it did on the V6's) then you have a classic symptom of the valves not operating and that they are stuck in the high rpm location. Many of the 32V 4.6's have this system and you are describing exactly what they suffer when this happens. Have it looked at...I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that is your problem.

2001LS8Sport said:
I'm going to disagree with the larger exhaust building low end power. In almost every case, it's the opposite.

If indeed your car has the variable intake system described above, (I didn't know it did on the V6's) then you have a classic symptom of the valves not operating and that they are stuck in the high rpm location. Many of the 32V 4.6's have this system and you are describing exactly what they suffer when this happens. Have it looked at...I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that is your problem.

The V6s do have the variable intake manifold.

is this a common problem? how much is it going to run me to have them look at this? thanks guys

my 2 cents....

I understand that Tminard18 is noticing his car doesn't "open up" till 2500-3000 rpm and feels he is at loss of low end power, but this isn't necessarily stuck valves or any other problem by any means; UNLESS this is a drastic change in power.
I think that Tminard18 needs to drive another LS6 and see if there are any differences between his car.
A V6 finds itself between a top-end high-revving 4cyl. and a low end powerful V8. This could ultimately be the common problem of many V6's of being underpowered in the first place.

Yep, that's the valve. AllData's a wonderful thing!:) Unfortunately that end of the intake manifold is a bear to get to. You're looking at big bucks in a shop just to chek it out unless there is an OBDII code that will identify that specific problem.

I don't think anything is wrong. I have a 2000 stick and it drives the same way. They are slow in the low rpm ranges. OK power (but do not make good noises) in the upper RPM ranges. Overall a good (not great) powertrain combination.

Ford thinks the MT did not sell because the market didn't want MTs, the sales would have been higher if it was a V8 MT, if the dealers had some in stock, or if the V6 made power across a wider band.

Similar to the original SHOs. Ford thought sales were soft because of the MT. Sales were soft because the MT was not well done (bad clutch feel, rubbery shifter). Yes aftermarket linkage was available but it should have been right coming out of the box.

tminard18 said:
how much money am i looking at to re-gear? parts and install?

I got mine 3.58 differential on my 02 off of a 04 T-bird from a junkyard for about $100. Install is simple just time consuming. Im sure a shop can install it for $300-350. If I had to pay for install I wouldnt do it. Its noticable but not really worth $400 to me. Especially since I do all labor possible myself before I would take my car in to get worked on.

tminard18 said:
how much money am i looking at to re-gear? parts and install?
Since your car is a Manual V6 I believe you already have 3.58's In fact I think all V6's have 3.58's.

Early 2000 V8's had 3.58 and then they switched to 3.31's for CAFE reasons.

Starting in 2003 all V8's got 3.58's since the new engine changes increased fuel economy.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

They do have a 3.07, but they also have a different set of axel shafts and a few other components, so it's more complicated than just a straight swap of the diff.

The MTX came with the 3.07. All the slushboxes have either the 3.58 or the 3.31.

Our auto 00 V6 is a pooch on take-offs. I wish it had the pull my old 90 Tbird Supercoupe had but oh well. Keeps me from burnin up the tires around the corners I guess. It runs much better, say, at highway speeds and then when you want to go pass. Slug off the line though.

Kelleyo said:
Since your car is a Manual V6 I believe you already have 3.58's In fact I think all V6's have 3.58's.

Early 2000 V8's had 3.58 and then they switched to 3.31's for CAFE reasons.

Starting in 2003 all V8's got 3.58's since the new engine changes increased fuel economy.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I guess I was wrong (at least about the MTX V6 anyway).

Sorry if I confused matters... :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back