Lowering car and skid plate?

barshots

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about lowering my car, but I was looking today and really noticed how low the skid plate sits. If I lower it.. not slam it would this be affected and would I still bottom out on speed bumps? Every now and then if I don't go over them just right without it lowered it hits so I'm kind of scared to do it now. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

What are you lowering with? If you're worried about rubbing/bottoming out, don't lower it. If not, drag frame.

Are your skid plates attached and buttoned up under there? Last time I checked they were pretty flush with the rest of the bottom of the car. People have dropped their LSs on Eibachs with success. Can't speak for them on whether or not speed bumps were an issue.

I was going to go with the Eibachs. I never noticed how low the skid plates were until today. I will have to check and see if they are secured. I hit a high speed bump the other day not realizing how high it was and it hit so it may have came loose or something. I'll let my husband get it on the lift and check it out this weekend. Thanks

lets put this simply, the LS sits pretty low, lowering it will actually make it lower (its not an optical illusion)

depending on how low you lower it, you will have to watch for speed bump, holes in the road...

and if your hitting speed bumps at stock height, you will only hit more speed bumps more no matter how little you lower it.

I realize that. I was wondering if anyone had major issues after lowering it. Obviously I would be more careful and dodge as many speed bumps and pot holes as I could. I was more concerned with the skid plate, knowing now that mine is sitting lower than what it should be and we need to have it looked at. I may just keep it stock and not worry about it.

Many many LSes are lowered.

Just learn how to take the speed bumps (slowly) and you'll be fine.

I realize that. I was wondering if anyone had major issues after lowering it. Obviously I would be more careful and dodge as many speed bumps and pot holes as I could. I was more concerned with the skid plate, knowing now that mine is sitting lower than what it should be and we need to have it looked at. I may just keep it stock and not worry about it.

Those bars that run from front to rear aren't skid plates. They are there for crash strength. Just descend slowly on the speed bumps and you should be OK.

Lowered with no problems. Just take speed bumps lower than normal, nothing much to it.

Those bars that run from front to rear aren't skid plates. They are there for crash strength. Just descend slowly on the speed bumps and you should be OK.

ok, then what I'm talking about isn't the skid plates. This is right underneath in the middle between where the firewall and the cabin starts. I hope I explained that right. I'll take pics tomorrow and post it and see if I can figure what it is out.

ok, then what I'm talking about isn't the skid plates. This is right underneath in the middle between where the firewall and the cabin starts. I hope I explained that right. I'll take pics tomorrow and post it and see if I can figure what it is out.

Are they two longitundal bars?

If it is plastic, it is a wind deflector. If it is metal, it is the transmission pan.

No, this looks like a long box type thing. Not bars, more like what an oil pan looks like

I think you mean the engine splash guard.

Its the large plastic piece attached to the front bumper.

ok so I feel like an idiot. From far away, looking toward my car from the side it looks like a long box that I was talking about. Today after work I looked up under it and it's the exhaust. lol I didn't realize it sat so low but nothing is loose. I've always wondered why my car sat higher than most of the LSs that are around here, none of them are moded.

Snap some pics? The exhaust shouldn't be visible from the front or side of the car.

barshots said:
it's too dark right now. I will tomorrow, I didn't think about it when I looked.

Do you have AM headers or cats?

Do you have AM headers or cats?

I doubt he would know, he didn't know it was the exhaust he was looking at...

my exhaust sits rather low, but its all custom from the manifold back, and I do fine although if I lower my car i do worry about ripping my new cats off.

I was going to go with the Eibachs. I never noticed how low the skid plates were until today. I will have to check and see if they are secured. I hit a high speed bump the other day not realizing how high it was and it hit so it may have came loose or something. I'll let my husband get it on the lift and check it out this weekend. Thanks

I doubt he would know, he didn't know it was the exhaust he was looking at...

my exhaust sits rather low, but its all custom from the manifold back, and I do fine although if I lower my car i do worry about ripping my new cats off.

im guessing barshots is a woman....:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back