lowering issues

944Porsche

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
the weathers getting nicer and the project car at home is almost done, so im hoping to order a set of eibachs soon, but im wondering how many people have had real issues with lowering the LS...balljoints failing early? shocks wearing out quick? im in college and balljoints arent number one on my list, so i wanna "safely" lower, if a lot of people have had issues after lowering pleeease let me know!!! thanks

You'll spend more on tires than the suspension components. A ball joint is $70. One tire on a 19" wheel starts at about $200. If you are approaching 100K, you should do shocks at the same time. Of course, your's could very well be just fine. Mine need replacing.

i have an 01 with 84000 miles, i actually have michelin pilot sports a/s that i need to replace soon getting close to worn at just over 10,000 miles on them, and their wearing even...i had planned on gettin wheels andrizzle has for a month or so but dont think itll work out so ill still be sittin on the stock 17's, i was told balljoints is a 8-900 dollar job? i reeeeaaally wanna lower but dont wanna sacrifice my front end components

What tire pressure are you running to get only 10K on Pilot sport A/S?

I bought General Altimax HPs and yes, they are a cheaper tire but they wear evenly and performance wise, are the best for the money I paid for them.. I had my ball joints done and the labor charge was 300.. I dropped it off at 830 (he started at 900) and I got it at 330 (he finished at 300).. It was worth the money for labor.. The ball joints were eBay's and I got them with the car so idk what the cost of those were..

I did my Eibach's myself, and had no issues.
My last set of tires lasted somewhere around 32K miles. I think my shocks could be replaced, but no issues with them yet.
Ball joints, and tie rod ends are still perfect. I have had them on for something like 60,000 miles, and only have one problem. That is going over speed bumps...do them real slow. Do not let the car's suspension compress at all, on the down side. Even on small bumps!

the weathers getting nicer and the project car at home is almost done, so im hoping to order a set of eibachs soon, but im wondering how many people have had real issues with lowering the LS...balljoints failing early? shocks wearing out quick? im in college and balljoints arent number one on my list, so i wanna "safely" lower, if a lot of people have had issues after lowering pleeease let me know!!! thanks

You will put extra stress on the ball joints. How sooner they fail is open to discussion. IMHO, the lower you go the sooner the joint will fail. That said, the head suspension engineer for the LS said lowering the car 3/4" would be a perfect drop. Eibach lowers the car ~1" so that shouldn't put too much extra stress on the ball joints. Of course, YMMV.

sweet thanks everyone i really wanna go with eibachs i feel like for how inexpensive the part is its an awesome gain looks and hopefully performance wise i just dont wanna get in over my head by doing it...and i run like 34 psi and the middle still wore out soo fast, the treads that are angled look barely worn i dont understand but im glad someone else had the same issue, im glad tire rack had them discounted $70 dollars a tire when i bought them or else it would be even more of a disappointment, im thinkin about going with the BFG G-Force T/A KDW next, i think the tread design is bad@$$ but it would be nice to get another 5,000 out of the michelin's

i know i wanna go real low but dont think i should, your car makes me want to andrizzle, when i was wheel shopping i checked tirerack and was hoping to get the ones you have your car looks siick, but im just gonna stick with the stocks haha

I put almost exactly 35K on my first set of 245-45-18 Pilot P-2s. They all went into the cord at the same time. I always carried 35 pounds.
KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back