Lowering Springs

944Porsche

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has come up on here in the past, but i have a few unanswered questions after searching the site. For you who have lowering springs, i am curious how the car drives on a daily basis. I go to school in PA and the roads arent the nicest ive ever driven on. Worst case, how does the car act on bumps? Also, how does the car drive with a full trunk, or a car full of passengers? Im afraid the car will be too low when its more than just me in the car. People have also said the car still rides pretty nice, is this true? Please help I want to lower my car but i dont want to sacrifice the whole bottom of my car.

I say ride wise as far as harshness is very tame, not too rough at all IMHO, as far as the car being low and me being in a area with not the nicest roads, that part is a little tough, I am constantly watching for potholes and debris in the road to avoid. And I dont try to take my car through a car wash, I think it is too low and not gonna attempt it esp when they have all sorts of signs saying they are not responsible for anything. So I gotta have it hand washed in the winter by someone if I dont have access to something that works at the dealer I might be at at that time.

But, for the way the car looks and handles, I deal with it :)

I have Sprint springs. The ride is pretty harsh, in my opinion.

I have Sprint springs and Euro struts, I wish it was harsher to help the suspension from bottoming out. Goes to show the difference in peoples perception. It is not Town car ride, but I would even say some of the Audi sport suspensions I have driven were harsher than my car. I don't know if I got a wierd one, I was wondering even when the dealer replaced my sway bar in the front if they replaced it with a sport one or not. I have been meaning to check the measurement of it???

The harshest riding car I had was a 85 Turbo T-bird lowered with Billstien shocks/struts, that car I would have to be on the look out for cement expansion joints that were too large, even going into driveway curbs would need to go slow, otherwise you were chancing a filling coming out. Handled awesome though

I have Eibach lowering springs with sport struts on my LS V8 and it rides great (Haven't put the 18's on yet:rolleyes: ...). It does however bottom out sometimes on speed bumps but some parking lots have them really high these days!

i have eibach's with euro shocks and sport sway bar.
normal driving is pretty close to stock (assuming you have the sway bar and sport shocks).
bumps are a little harder feeling, and get significantly harder the faster you corner (progressive rate).
The springs are taking a while to settle. I did them last fall. I think the back is done, front is done too, if not very close. Some LS's have 2 braces that go under the control arms from near where your feet are, to the front of the car. I sometimes scrape this on aggressive speed bumps no matter how slow I go. You will need to practically stop going over speed bumps, and may even have to go over at an angle. I have never bottomed out on anything in the road, but you have to keep an eye out for raised manhole covers and other debris/ hazzards.
With 4 and even 5 people in the car, it does surprisingly well. It will get a little stiffer but my passengers told me it was very firm but not harsh. Obviously it will lower it further too. Just be aware and conscious and it will be fine.
No steep driveways, your long wheelbase will hurt when you reach level ground.
There are no issues with snow or rain as a result.

thanks 02LincLS, im real worried about it when i have a full car as i said, but being that i am already cautious you make me feel better about it, i have bottomed out at school 3 times on short steep speed bumps, i went from a jeep to a lincoln and i used to not care, even stock i go diagonal just in case, where did you get a sport sway bar? and about what do they go for, being that i only have the v6 i just want an aggressive stance and nice handling, cant complain about the handling stock but this car with the weight ratio it has and a lower center of gravity i bet they handle great, thanks everybody

Eibachs here and with people in the back, I can't stand the way the car rides. It's usually only me and another person, so it's not bad at all. Potholes here in this city are another story though. Nothing you can do about those except try to avoid them.

hm thats something to think about, i have seen there are 3 brands eibach sprint and intrax, eibach is the smallest drop and i know their reputable so i was thinking if i do it to go with them, can anyone justify the other 2 brands with more drop?

I have the intrax, and they didnt change the ride much at all. they sit lower than the eibachs do so they have bottomed out on the highway. In their defence, the stocks would have bottomed out on that too. It was a pratty deep dip and I was going pretty friggin fast! The intrax I believe are cheapest of the three, but dont quote me on that. Also the order of tallest to lowest is Eibach, Intrax, Sprint and the each are easy to tell when looking at the springs. Eibachs are red, Intrax are purple, and sprint are blue.

also, I am thinking of switching to Eibachs from my intrax. Not because of ride, but I want a little extra room to fit my stickies. I may even go back to stock

i wanted more of a drop than the eibachs. i called around and for the intrax, all i got was "we don't deal with them anymore". then i e mailed sprint at all of their e-mails and they were all returned by mailer-demon thing, saying that e mail no longer exists.

1.0 " drop in the front, 1.1" drop in the back...on a good average.....and little to no lean in cornering..even fast cornering...and the car turns like a bee now......

its cheaper to heat the springs whilst on the car. sure it probably won't be the same height at every corner, and its extremely dangerous, but all the cool kids are doing it. and that's what counts.

its cheaper to heat the springs whilst on the car. sure it probably won't be the same height at every corner, and its extremely dangerous, but all the cool kids are doing it. and that's what counts.

you mean these kids?

790240.jpg

You dont wanna heat them up. You wanna cut a dead coil with something that wont heat the spring up. Good luck, you'll be cutting all day long.

I still would go Eibachs...them germans make good :q:q:q:q. A shame that their cars break down so easily due to the high amount of eletronics in their cars...why can't they think simplicity...instead of throwing in a bunch of eletronics that become crap...why not throw in necessary eletronics that last a lifetime.....

couldnt agree more, vw's and audi's get expensive...quick, ive heard stories of vw's that had windows and alarms with minds of their own

Members online

No members online now.
Back