LS custom wheels & vibration

lincolnlsv8

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 LS V8 and purchased 20 inch rims and tires about 4 months ago and recently had them rotated and balanced for the first time. After the rotation and balance I got on the freeway and had horrible shaking as if the wheels needed balancing. I took them back to the shop and they balanced them again and told me that since they are custom wheels that I am always going to be having the vibration. They said that my tires where fine and wearing normally. I never had a problem with any kind of vibration up to this point and I even had them switch the tires back to original places and the vibration was still there. They suggested hub centric ring, I had those put on and STILL vibration. Is this something that I am going to have to live with since I have custom wheels???

Also I have heard that some shops do a special kind of balancing that fixes vibration that balancing cant? Anyone heard of this, the machine they use is called GSP9700.

Help!!

Thanks

Also I have heard that some shops do a special kind of balancing that fixes vibration that balancing cant? Anyone heard of this, the machine they use is called GSP9700.
That's a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancer; that's the top of the line in wheel balancing. If they can't be balanced with one of those, you're probably SOL.
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

I had the same issues and the hub rings were the cause, you need to get a set that fit very snug or put tape on them to make them tight or you will get vibration. Check them out, if they seem loose at all on the hub they will vibrate. Mine finally quit after messing around with the rings, and there are different ones out there, plastic/metal and different manufacturers etc.

By all means be sure the balance is right, but by your words it sounds like it's been checked enough.

I just purchased a set of dub dirty dogs and have yet to put them on. Do you need hub centric rings with all aftermarket wheels? Cause if so then maybe i should look into a set.

i have an 03 ls with custom 20's on it as well and i have the same problem. ive had it road force balanced, had hub centric rings on it and had it aligned and the wheel still shakes... its so frusterating i simply feel like selling it sometimes.

I've never had an issues with aftermarket wheels causeing these problems. These aren't super cheap wheels are they??

I confess that I didn't read each post to this thread.

could the vibration be coming from your tires? Perhaps you have a defect?

Hopefully all LS owners (specifically the ones under the age of say, 24) considering placing "dubs" or "twinkies" on a car not designed for a size even close to that, will read this thread (and many others like it), and learn.

Unfortunately to the original poster..I'm 90% certain that vibration is there to stay. Oversized made in china rims are rarely a good idea.

i have an 03 ls with custom 20's on it as well and i have the same problem. ive had it road force balanced, had hub centric rings on it and had it aligned and the wheel still shakes... its so frusterating i simply feel like selling it sometimes.
Were I you, the first thing I would do is go back to the stock wheels and tires. If the shake is still there after remounting and balancing them, the problem is probably somewhere in the suspension, but I'm betting it's in your wheels and tires.

I'm just going to stress the point I made in my last post... As LSE and Sooner were hinting... Cheap over-sized wheels are a recipe for problems. Think about it... if $250 gets you decent (read: straight, well balanced, okay quality) 18" wheels.... and keep in mind aluminum is expensive these days... How much should decent 20" wheels cost? Considerably more than the 18" wheels. Don't forget, as the wheel gets larger any defects in it's balance and geometry will be amplified. I'd bet it's a case of poorly manufactured wheels (and likely tires too)

I am getting the image of one of those dual page ads in SportCompact or ImportTuner magazine. YOu know the ones. Usually some california company with 2 pages of nothing but giant, chromed out wheels. The following brands are usually NO where to be found on either page: BBS, Fittipaldi, TSW, Ronal, Fiske, etc. Tire packages offered in said ads rarely if ever include names like Michelin Pilot, Avon, Goodyear but rather some offbrand tire. And there is never a fitment chart like TireRack.com or DiscountTireDirect.Com has. Instead, it's usually touted as having wheels that fit a wide array of vehicles. The ad will have one wheel, and under it will say: fits All years Mustang, Corvette, Pinto, Vega, 1973 Ice Cream Trucks. (adapters may be required).

HAHAHAHA... Kind of the same image I was getting. Something along these lines:

20" wheels AND tires... package discount special clearance because you're a super-duper dude and it's just after thanksgiving, but not yet Christmas... AND we're going out of business but opening a new store under a new name so it's a going out of business/grand opening sale ALL for the amazing special group buy package discount price of $599.99*

*terms and conditions apply: Limited life time warranty includes: Finish, Balance, bolt pattern and offset accuracy, guaranteed to be true and perfectly symmetric. (limited life-time warranty expires upon delivery of product). Tires and wheels are not DOT approved

I've had custom wheel and tire packages on just about everything I've owned for the last 20+ years and never had any problems. My new 19" wheels and tires are vibration free all the way to the speed limiter and they have a larger center bore than stock and no hubcentric rings. I've learned from experience that as you go larger and/or wider the combination of the extra rotating mass and lower profile sidewall will combine to exagerate any out of spec conditions. Cheap (doesn't have to mean inexpensive) wheels or tires generally won't be manufactured to the same tolerances as the better brands. Road Force balancing is great but it is also important to find a shop that will take the time to check the runout of the wheels, test fit and balance with the tires and index and remount the tires if necessary to use the minimum amount of weight as possible to balance. Alot more work and time but well worth it. Try to find a shop or tech that does competition work, you'll be much happier.

Members online

No members online now.
Back