LS daytime running lights?!

Nicky Papa

New LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, finally got my LS into Canada. Now I'm told I need to add daytime running lights to pass federal inspection. Does anyone have any idea how to add this option? The universal kit doesnt work with the LS's. Dealer said he couldnt access the module.{f.e.m.? maybe?} Any ideas, hollar back. And once my pics are finished uploading, check my ride out!

your car doesnt have them??? i thought all ls's had them. I may be wrong but your headlight knob should be all the way to the left then the daytime lights are set. someone please verify this one..

thats not daytime runnung, if on the left the lights go on automatically when it gets dark out.
FEM (front electrical module) is easy to get to its right by the driverside kick panel to the left. remove the plastic and ull c a metal box with a bunch of wires. it should be an easy hook up. PM quikls im sure hell know how to do it.

you are right. see good thing someone else read this post... my bad nicky papa

it's a PCM controlled option. You would have to go to the dealer and be re-flashed. All the Candian car have DRL.

Quik LS said:
it's a PCM controlled option. You would have to go to the dealer and be re-flashed. All the Candian car have DRL.

what if a canadian loaded a flash from torrie?

I believe that the PCM version is all that matters - as long as Torrie uses the same PCM version that you have to start as a base for his tunes - it should be the same....

Hey cool, you're from the KW area huh? I'm out by Stratford. You're the closest to me yet :D.

Niky Papa, where are you from? Welcome to L vs C :).

DRL's have to be programed into the PCM. What you might try to do is find a mechanic that'll let the DRL thing slide, so you don't have to bother getting it done.

I hate my DRL's - parking lamps w/fogs looks much better in inclement daytime weather when lights are actually needed.

weird

i was thinking about this the other day when drive to cocoa every car out there (even cheaper base models have drl) why doesnt the LS get this feature i think its good idea i drive with headlight son all day becuz it helps people notice hey there is a car next to me (sometimes)weird tho???

that's pretty cool that there is someone from ontario on here, i thought i was the only one.

:Beer

i saw a video of an LS vs. an SRT-4 at st. thomas and the outcome was close.. was that you?

Could you just take some black touch up paint and paint the little sensor thingy on top of the dash so it thinks its always dark out? That way they will just stay on.

DkAir_SS said:
Could you just take some black touch up paint and paint the little sensor thingy on top of the dash so it thinks its always dark out? That way they will just stay on.
if that works tape might be safer

DRL only light up the lamps at 40% of max - and does not include the parking lamps.

if you painted or taped off the sensor you would have a hard time reading your radio (and other dash lite items) as they dim when the lights are on - making it hard to see them in full daylight.

LuxurySport00 said:
that's pretty cool that there is someone from ontario on here, i thought i was the only one.

i saw a video of an LS vs. an SRT-4 at st. thomas and the outcome was close.. was that you?

Sorry for not replying, was gone all week.

Was it me? Yup, got my ass kicked.

Those little cars are quick, but the drivers were pretty cool about it - and not being punks like most ricers are. They had alot of traction issues, they should have been in the 13's if they had been able to hook up better. And my 255's hook up pretty good - so my 1/4 time wasn't so bad :D.

I haven't seen the vid for a while, do you know where it was hosted?

Maybe we'll do a mini-meet some time :Beer .

Kevin said:
Sorry for not replying, was gone all week.

Was it me? Yup, got my ass kicked.

Those little cars are quick, but the drivers were pretty cool about it - and not being punks like most ricers are. They had alot of traction issues, they should have been in the 13's if they had been able to hook up better. And my 255's hook up pretty good - so my 1/4 time wasn't so bad :D.

I haven't seen the vid for a while, do you know where it was hosted?

Maybe we'll do a mini-meet some time :Beer .

I have seen SRT4's run 11's. When they want to get after it and really turn the boost up, they are serious players. It is very common to see one that will run 12's. That's easy for them to do.

Then there are the Subarus. Another car that can be made very quick.

If you think they're quick...don't pick on a Supra. There are some 600 hp Supras around. Those things can be made totally nasty!

So do LSes have DRLs or not? I ahve an '02 LS, and I thought it did. I usually just leave the lamp dial in the 'auto' position, but when I do in the daytime, I don't see any light output!

FreeFaller said:
Thank God it ain't...I hate DRL's...

Agree, I don't like not having control of the lights. Sometimes you don't want lights just because the engine is running.

So can I have a dealer reprogram a LS in the United States to add Daytime Running Lights?

Just another little detail I miss. And why don't all of the doors unlock when I park the car or at least have the option to unlock the drivers door only or all doors? It's gets really annoying getting home from work and trying to open the back door for my briefcase and it's locked.

not that we have found - it is part of the PCM codes for Canadian dealers. You may want to call Torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com and see if it is something his SCT software will modify.

on the unlock doors - someone in the LLSOC created a little circuit the can do this.

if i took my canadian LS to an american dealer to get a pcm from them.. i could wave bye bye to DRL?

LuxurySport00 said:
if i took my canadian LS to an american dealer to get a pcm from them.. i could wave bye bye to DRL?

not likely. Since you cannot simply take any PCM code and load it into any car - the dealers do not understand all the issues involved with swapping PCM codes with one another - meaning the strickly follow the Ford guide to which PCM code belongs to whick PCM and what codes have been updated since that. The dealer will not do anything weird like this - since they would then be responsible for any other issue it caused.

Since DRL is law in Canada - wouldn't you fail your annual inspection?

Members online

No members online now.
Back