LS just hit in parking lot. Where to go for a paint quote?

LincolnLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So while minding my own business at the office this morning a coworker informs me that she just watched a white box truck back into my rear bumper out in the parking lot (pics to come after work). It turns out that it was someone from my company's maintenence department. I tracked him down and the corporate insurance wil pay. In any event, I will have to look at a gash about 6 inches tall and about 5 inches long across the middle of my rear bumper until I can get it fixed. The paint is scraped pretty badly and the plastic is dented in.

Pics of the car from 2 weeks ago.

I have never had to deal with an autobody repair (always been VERY careful - no accidents) Now, should I just take it to the dealer for a quote on the work? Or would an after-market paint place be more appropriate? Mind you, I should be paying nothing for this repair. Thanks for your input!

if you are happy with your dealership I would give them a chance otherwise I would get on the web and research the local thieves er I mean bodyshops

I would bring it to the most respected body shop in the area. You say you only need a re-spray right? I've never went to the dealer for body work. I've never seen a paint booth back in the workshop of my local dealer though.

The local dealer most likely contracts their work out to a local body shop. I had my bumper repainted for free by the local dealer when I bought the car which had it done (terribly might I add) by a local body shop.

Just shop around and go to the one you feel most comfortable dealing with. Don't go to Maaco.

I feel your pain. Someone just hit my car and ran while I was training. Here's a few sad picture.

IMG00038.jpg

I feel your pain. Someone just hit my car and ran while I was training. Here's a few sad picture.

i actually like that all blacked out look ;) . i would definitely not take it to maaco, especially if i'm not the one picking up the tab. shop around and ask to see the body shops prior jobs if they have any on their lot.

Wow, bad month for our cars. My car was hit too while parked. Other car actually jumped the curb and hit the inside of the car go figure.

Thanks guys. I will make some phone calls today. I can't bear to drive around with that ugly gash on my bumper much longer...

Call your insurance company and ask them for a recommendation--the adjusters will know who's good and who's not. Just make sure they know it was someone else's fault, and that they (the other guys) will be paying.

Interesting news on the 2 quotes I got today. The Lincoln dealership-owned auto-body shop quoted me $460 to repair my bumper damage. Much less than I expected - but I thought I would need a new bumper and mine can apparently be repaired. Then I stopped at a local independent auto-body shop and the quote skyrocketed to $655 for the same work! Also a shock to me.

Well needless to say, it is easy to guess which quote I will be faxing to the insurance company (who will issue me a check in my name as soon as they receive ANY estimate) and which repair shop I will actually be using. LOL

So for about 3 hours of headache and driving around to get estimates, I will get a freshly painted rear bumper (my original had "spidering" in the paint under the license plate anyway), about $200 in my pocket, and a deal on re-spraying my front bumper if I want at the same time - $350 for a $500 job according to the Lincoln guy.

I guess I'm not as pissed at my jackass coworker who hit me as I thought I was...

the dealership will probably sub-contract a local body shop to do the work

Believe it or not, some dealers (like the one I use) actually do have their own body shop, maned by their own employees.

Depending on your insurance, you may not get any extra back. My experience is that if the insurance check is bigger than the estimate, the actual bill is increased to match the insurance check.

Members online

Back