LS vs T-bird

azlsv6

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a '02 T-bird which, I believe, has a lot in common with my LS, in particular, suspension, drive train, interior, etc. It doesn't take bumps well as the LS; maybe it's cowl shake or the 17" tires. Question is whether the suspension is the same for both cars or should I have the suspension checked on the 'bird. Thoughts?

Recently purchased a '02 T-bird which, I believe, has a lot in common with my LS, in particular, suspension, drive train, interior, etc. It doesn't take bumps well as the LS; maybe it's cowl shake or the 17" tires. Question is whether the suspension is the same for both cars or should I have the suspension checked on the 'bird. Thoughts?

t-bird is convetible, more rigid frame and braces I believe to start

But it doesnt have a message center and the gauge cluster is also different.

I'll take the X-brace when you get sick of it hitting the speed bumps

The T-Bird does have alot in common with the LS. The 2002 'bird has the same engine as the 1st gen LS's. The 03+ 'birds have the same engine as the 2nd gen LS's. The suspension is very similar but I believe the springs and/or struts are softer. There was someone on the Thunderbirdnest forums who switch to LS springs for a stiffer and more stable ride. Basically T-Bird owners say LS's are the four door T-Birds. The T-Bird owner demographic is a bit older as well. Most of them are not concerned about performance mods, they are more concerned about making their retro 'Birds look like a classic car with white wall tires etc. and most do not use their 'birds as daily drivers.

The Saleen T-Bird concept shouldve gone into production. Its pretty nice IMO. It could have helped save the car form being discontinued...
saleenassemblyplant_03.jpg

saleenassemblyplant_04.jpg

That saleen t-bird ir pretty sick!

The Saleen-bonspeed Edition Thunderbird sports a 3.9-liter V-8 with Saleen Series IV twin-screw supercharger, cast aluminum manifold, and water-to-air intercooler, and promises around 365 horsepower and 390 lb ft of torque. The production version will feature a Saleen PowerFlash engine management system, and can be mated to either a five-speed automatic gearbox or an optional Saleen six-speed manual version.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_021127_bonspeed/#ixzz1qmFpXNmF

I wonder if the manual was ever installed in one

The mechanics of the suspension are the same, other than the Tbird has shocks that are softer than the standard LS shocks. LS came in three grades - Standard, Sport and Euro. Euro's are the hardest, and quite difficult to find.

Depending on what you mean by "doesn't take the bumps well".... It will be different since it's a convertible.

The T bird is a bit too eclectic for my tastes but I always look when I see them now just because I know they share so much in common with my car. That Saleen Tbird is sweet the front kinda looks like a stretched out porsche

Sweet saleen!

And what i would give to have that 4.2 in my LS......

Now why isn't that 4.2 in a LS yet? Since they are almost the same car....

They're not very close when it comes to the electronics.

So the T-bird electronics are different?

If its the same electronics then a swap should work the same way.

So the T-bird electronics are different?

If its the same electronics then a swap should work the same way.

The 4.2 electronics are different. Whoever did that supercharger swap put a ton of work into it.

The 4.2 electronics are different. Whoever did that supercharger swap put a ton of work into it.

I know they are but the t-bird and ls should be the same. So it can be done as we just saw with the picture.

I know they are but the t-bird and ls should be the same. So it can be done as we just saw with the picture.

The pictures don't show if the instruments and climate control still functioned correctly. However, I suggest you prove us wrong, do the upgrade, and show us how.

Members online

No members online now.
Back