LSC third cat Dissected. EXHAUST FLOW IS NOT SEPERATED.

BenGSX

LVC Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this isn't news to anyone else, but I keep reading posts over and over that claim the third cat on the LSC has a completely divided exhaust flow.

I always had a hard time believing that the third, 2 in 2 out cat on the LSC had a divided exhaust flow. Looking at the design of the can it wouldn't make sense for Ford to spend more money making the cat more complex by internally dividing the exhaust flow.

I pulled my exhaust to gut the center cat yesterday and guess what..

They DIDN'T. The exhaust flow merges TWICE. Before and after the catalyst.

There is a section of catalyst in the center of the chamber while both the front and back are completely hollow allowing the two sides of the exhaust to merge as if it were an H-pipe. The catalyst honeycomb is also surrounded by a material closely resembling a metal brillo pad (The "resonator" portion of the design).

If you take a flashlight and shine it down one of the rear pipes and look down the other - YOU CAN SEE the light.. If you stick a vacuum cleaner against one of the pipes, you can feel suction at the other three.. The LSC third cat is absolutely NOT divided! If you look at the shape of the can you can plainly see the section of the center that contains the catalyst. It is the only part of the can that is completely parallel top and bottom. Both the front and back of the can have a taper to them and these sections are hollow.

Again, sorry if this wasnt news to everyone else, but it was news to me!

The car is a 97 LSC. Pictures to follow a bit later on this afternoon when I get back home.

"Forgive me if this isn't news to anyone else, but I keep reading posts over and over that claim the third cat on the LSC has a completely divided exhaust flow."

Where have you read that? The LSC has dual exhaust, not true dual and I dont think anyone ever claimed it did. In fact true dual is a bad thing.

Glad to be here!.. I've had the Lincoln for a couple of years, but never really wrenched into it enough to post much..

As for an x-pipe, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the car yet...

I am personally a forced induction junkie... I was almost ready to retire the Lincoln at one point, but now im starting to swing back to maybe throwing some parts at it..

Right now the car is practically stock, just running a JET chip (yah sct I know I know - but with a practically stock Naturally aspirated engine the gains out of a better tune are minimal by my standards - got the chip extremely cheap), slightly cut up exhaust with some random chambered mufflers, a rediculously oversided cone filter, Accell supercoils, Craptastic coilovers, and a Transgo HD2..

I am more of a turbo guy than into superchargers - So this car is a little challenging to fit into my mold.. But with 2.3 litres of DOHC 4 valve goodness on either side, all I can think about is a pair of gt35r's.. Too bad there is so little room..

So I rarely cut up exhaust too much unless it involves a turbo.. And this car might stay just the way it is unless I get creative.. Nothing like changing out o2 sensors on these things to give you a new concept of space.

"Forgive me if this isn't news to anyone else, but I keep reading posts over and over that claim the third cat on the LSC has a completely divided exhaust flow."

Where have you read that? The LSC has dual exhaust, not true dual and I dont think anyone ever claimed it did. In fact true dual is a bad thing.

I wouldn't have wasted my time with this post if I hadn't read it over and over.. Not just here, but on the other MarkVIII forum website as well (Dont know posting rules here.. wont post links - :)

I wouldn't have wasted my time with this post if I hadn't read it over and over.. Not just here, but on the other MarkVIII forum website as well (Dont know posting rules here.. wont post links - :)

More than welcome to post links. Then we can gang up on em and tell then right. But in ALL the years and 3,000+ posts in this forum alone no one has stated its true dual. It may have come up in a thread about exhaust but it was quickly corrected.

Oh, unless you are reading at markviii.org, those guys are idiots.

I really need to get my exhaust done. I have a 2.5" X pipe in storage! Been there for two years I think! lol

Oh, unless you are reading at markviii.org, those guys are idiots.

I never really seperated the two forums in my head much.. But it may have been more there.. I believe very little of what I read on forums usually :)

But now that you mention it I will pay more attention to which forum I am reading..

(Dont know posting rules here.. wont post links - :)

you'll find the rules are quite relaxed, other than some "bad word filtering" in the posts... you probably find you can pretty much "say what you want", so long as you're willing to endure what others might say in return.

Rarely do you see a moderator "intervene" in discussions that remain on some form of reasonable discussion.

Obvious pissing matches are often allowed to "run their course" as they often fairly entertaining and sometimes quite informative.

Too bad there is so little room...

there is little room in ordinary locations, but if you look at the mark 8 there is alot of room in other places.
look where the air ride compressor lives...

Compare the overall length compared to the wheel base length and you'll quickly see there is "as much car outside the wheels as there is inside the wheels".

it's something like 210 overall and 108 wheel base {sumshi'likedat)

The front bumper cover and lowers on each side would make a great place to tuck a couple of small turbos.

There's alot of car here, you just have to free your mind..and "think outside the wheelbase box".

trying to figure out what word Brandon posted that the filter ate

:q:q:q:q
:q:q:q:q
ass
dick
pot

that narrows it down I'm not an asshead, dickhead or pothead

meh.. what does brandon know.

Members online

Back