massive car show.... any ideas?

SPSully

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
ok so there is a bigs car show coming up and the only category I fit in is either custom (rat rods) or special interest. I need ideas to bring the LS to the next level, but money is tight right now.

she just got wetsanded and buffed so the paint is looking AMAZING!
DSC03301.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

the new headlights are ready for install....no halos yet though
DSC03189.jpg

DSC03182.gif

I've also got the clear sidemarkers tinted and ready for install as well as the 03-06 fogs with the surrounds painted to match the car. I've got the black diamond plate in my spare compartment for the nitrous with the walls rubberised. I have a piece of polished to all hell aluminum under the spare comp cover so you can see the reflection of my spare and such. The TB is polished to a nice chrome look. Claipers are painted already. I am getting ready to paint the plastics on the botom as well as the licence plate surround and the chrom on the windows (thanks for the idea Murderd!)

but I dont know ifits enough. I need something to make this car really POP at this show. Any ideas working on a budget?

Attention to detail! There is nothing I love more than to see a spotless car! That includes scrubbing every coolant hose and sanding/painting that rusty motor mount. This may be more work than you want to get into, though.

Mark

Hey Sully,
Looks nice! Good job on the paint. I was wondering why I havent heard from you lately. The weather is finaly pretty damn nice around here... been thinking of going back up to Epping. Let me know if your interested in heading up as well. My bottle is full so I can't install the blowdown tube, but I do have it. I will try leaving the spare tire cover up to hide the bottle, or just remove the bottle for inspection again :)

As for more pop, make sure your interior is spotless as well. What's the date of the show- how much time do you have?

I just picked up claybar and wax for mine... still need to pick up some polish and spend a day on it. She's filthy right now :(

all ready ALL over that! every inch of carpet has been steam cleaned.... the engine bay got painted/wet sanded/buffed/ waxed and shined as needed. The dealership would poop kittens to see how clean this 93k mile motor is!

Hey Sully,
Looks nice! Good job on the paint. I was wondering why I havent heard from you lately. The weather is finaly pretty damn nice around here... been thinking of going back up to Epping. Let me know if your interested in heading up as well.

As for more pop, make sure your interior is spotless as well. What's the date of the show- how much time do you have?

I just picked up claybar and wax for mine... still need to pick up some polish and spend a day on it. She's filthy right now :(

its sunday.... look at the northeast chapter threads.... cure for kids show for more details!

I'll be there ! Not with my LS, but just to vote, i got a couple of friends entering the show.

I know that many hi end car shows limit most entries Pre 72. Obviously this is not that case but where they have only one or two classes that would qualify you maybe your only luck

I know that most shows have classes of different years for Stangs and Vettes, Pre war, 46 and up, Early truck, Late truck, ect. We just had a local town show and there was a Benz or two, and 7 series, those guys just entered a custom or special interest class as your speak of and thats the only option. It depends on whose carshow it is or what its for but most are dedicated to classic Status vehicles, or at least more than todays beauties. hope this helps a little bit.

And for as far as placing. youve got a great start. Presentation is key. How clean, how many bugs, smears, scratches, are your seats, carpet, other interior spots spotless as possible for a driver? I see you have wheels, stance would be a huge part, fitment also. Any performance mods(exhaust, motor, brakes, ect.) Big bonus. Keep hood and trunk open dont over do extras(ie: nicknacks, memoriblia, other tacky items) Your showing your car not your wardrobe.

Like I said from your pics the car looks amazing for a factory paint job and GEN 1. If its a peoples choice its up to them obviously. But if your being judged. Its all above. good luck and have fun

four door lambos...
DODGE-REAR-LAMBO-DOOR-NEW3.jpg

((^bad example^))
They always get attention, I don't care how many people say its over-done... people look.

angel eyes are good
eyelids are good
tinted windows
LED underbodies would be sweet.
vanity plates
HID conversion
pinstripping
soundsystem
tinted tailights

besides expensive body kits, extravagant paint jobs, and bagging it down to the ground nothing else will give it that "Pop" your looking for.

four door lambos...
DODGE-REAR-LAMBO-DOOR-NEW3.jpg

((^bad example^))
They always get attention, I don't care how many people say its over-done... people look.

angel eyes are good
eyelids are good
tinted windows
LED underbodies would be sweet.
vanity plates
HID conversion
pinstripping
soundsystem
tinted tailights

besides expensive body kits, extravagant paint jobs, and bagging it down to the ground nothing else will give it that "Pop" your looking for.

Its a neon :D

Its all above. good luck and have fun

The paint and finish detail looks fantastic. I am of the opinion that if you are doing mods for car shows or awards you may end up unsatisfied and end up owning a trailer queen. It looks like you enjoy the process or the attention to detail wouldn't be there.

We work on alot of projects and "doing it for show" has never been something I identify with, gotta do it because its what you want..... but then again our projects are along way from "show quality" (only 2 of these are mine)

Gathering009.jpg

eco002.jpg

merc1z.jpg

mercury20.jpg

DSC01909.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

shop1a.jpg

IM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wont do anything to my car I dont like and owuldnt want o see on a daily basis. I've got my tails done and my window and my eyelids. I dont like CF but thatrs a good idea, just not for me ya know. Lambo doors are bout the worst thing to do to a car in my book. I have thought on many occasions to make the back doors suicide doors so they open up in the middle like a barn door if you will. Next year there is going to be a four door class.... which by then I'll have gone NUTS with my car and it should own all. Picking the right class is key for me I think. With the time and effort and OCD attention to detail thats gone into my car, Id hate to be emberrassed by picking the wrong category. I've made pollished aluminum mirror if you will for my trunk to show off the diamond plating and the Nitrous install. So I ordered up an 18" tall lincoln emblem in black to go on it. I think it'll hide from far away but make you stop and look at it. I removed the heat/sound shild under the hood and have repainted and buffed the crap out of it. The motor mounts have been repainted as well as the shock towers. While I was doing the diamond plating in my spare compartment, I painted the battery hold down. Sat night I will remover the bat leads and clean them real well and throw some vaseline on them to keep them looking mint. The details are getting better with each and every waking moment. I'm really looking for something that make people go "HOLY CRAP" like a rear mount TT setup all done in custom piping. But thats expensive for me right now and will have to wait until this show next year. You've got some good idea flowing though, by all means keep them coming. Even if I dont like them for my car, this is an awesome thread for other people to get ideas from too!

its wierd looking at those pics of my car.... she got some paint love last night and as I wa leaving for work she didnt look like that anymore!

i didnt get to finish some of the projects I had planned, but went had a great time. over $9000 raised to help the family!!!!

DSC03367.jpg

DSC03357.jpg

BLACKED OUT!!!!!!!!
DSC03361.jpg

That is a sweet looking ride, Sully! And a fellow Vet, I had no idea. Good work on the $$$.

Navy actually......

Yep, same here. Submarine-launched ballistic missile fire control technician. Great work if you can get it, but it's obsolete now due to the configuration on Trident submarines and the resultant merging of missle technicians and ftbs. For a couple of years, in school, we called our rate FTB, floor technician, buffer. We got pretty good with those machines. :D

small "f"ing world..... I was an FC of course I was a CG DDG based Aegis Fire Control System tech.

Members online

No members online now.
Back